Reamp with A16 Ultra?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

electrocowboy

Post by electrocowboy »

"A USB2 expansion, also in the works, will permit the A16 Ultra to be used as a standalone I/O interface with any computer system equipped with USB2, and will also allow it to be remote-controlled via software, making operation as an analog/digital patchbay possible." (from A16 Ultra page)

I'm hoping to use a few of the IOs on my A16 Ultra essentially as an D/A/D patchbay for inserting analog effects into prerecorded source material (similar to a Reamp, see http://www.reamp.com). Does anyone know if the existing technology will support this, or will I encounter an impedance issue? Will the update mentioned above allow for this feature?
at0m

Post by at0m »

The USB2 connection will be for patch bay configuration. This means, you'll be able to say, if the device is not connected to Pulsar or other Creamware hardware, that ie. In1-2 will be routed to Out7-8.

I do not think mixing will be included in this, cos mixing needs to be DSP based and loaded on the DSP. Unless the device has a large memory.

If you want to connect external fx (ins/aux), connect them using A16 I/O's appropriately. As you would connect a DSP aux effect to your Bigmixer.
electrocowboy

Post by electrocowboy »

So I can take a prerecorded track, route it out the A16, into analog effect, back into A16 and re-record in Logic without strange issues (impedance, etc.)? This is what I'm going for.

thanks a lot, justin
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

The connection between the A/D/A and the computer (firewire, USB, ADAT....) has nothing whatsoever to do with that.
You CAN use the A16 Ultra to do "analog inserts" however it depends on what you want to insert.
The REAMP solves the problem with reamping guitar, where the signal input on a guitar amp is not line level, wrong impendance and so on.
If you want to use an ext. compressor its no problem.
If you want to use a Gtr stomp box, your in trouble.
This is true with whatever ADA box you have however..
Guitar amps is built for guitar levels, not line levels.