What do you want in a Pulsar sequencer ?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Let's just suppose that someone was building a sequencer for Pulsar - and I'm sure that's not far away - what features do you want in it? Let's not try to add everything you've ever wanted in VST - save that for version 2. Let's just define the general parameters and "feel" of the device.

For some background about why I think this is a good idea, or if you want to argue that it's a bad idea, then please go here:
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... orum=11&16
But if you don't need to be convinced and have some positive ideas to contribute, then read on....

Some things are obvious: MIDI sequencer with quantise, adjustable grid size, controller info, program change, loop points, loop "layer" record, replace record etc etc.

The not so obvious:

<b>CPU-based: </b>Since you won't be running VST or Cakewalk, let's use your CPU to drive the Pulsar sequencer.

<b>Audio recording: </b>Like all good sequencers you should be able to record direct audio. But let's not expect too much, if you want complex audio functions go to your STS - this is a simple sequencer. Some elements of TripleDAT could be used here.

<b>Export audio: </b> My favourite. It's great to have a VSTi MIDI track and then just export it as a perfectly looped wav file. This same function would be perfect for Pulsar. Imagine your complex Lightwave or Ambient riff instantly dumped as a perfectly synced wav file in the Pulsar sequencer. Then delete your DSP-hogging device and load another. Easy and fast. If you want to tweak your track then reload the synth and re-export.

<b>PulsarMixer integration:</b> Not sure how this should work, but the PulsarMixer is so good it seems a natural partner to a Pulsar sequencer.

<b>A name: </b>I'm already tired of calling it "the Pulsar sequencer", so how about a working title of <i>Venus</i> ?

cheers,
Spirit

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spirit on 2002-01-20 05:26 ]</font>
Lotuz

Post by Lotuz »

A name: I'm already tired of calling it "the Pulsar sequencer", so how about a working title of Venus ?
Hmmm... My suggestion: CreamWare Galaxy
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

cubase / logic are fine for me. :razz:

all i want is the sequencers in the modular 2 to be able to output MIDI to other synths in pulsar. . .
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

CW Galaxy ? I like it. Let's go with that.

And yes Algo, I'm sure there's a lot of people who have a set-up they're happy with. This is for everyone else. :smile:
witchstar

Post by witchstar »

A clean user interface, with everything done from the main window - like Nuendo - click on the track or audio or midi file to open the respective editor, but otherwise, just one main window.
And a nice, clean mixer, like a cross between Nuendo's (for look and layout) and Logic's (for inserts and sends).

I mean, to be honest, I think Nuendo is the bomb as far as UI goes. The only things I don't like about it are the sound, and the Cubase-style FX and sends.

Mark
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

cubase + "good working xtc" - nothing less - nothing more!! :cool:
sandro
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

The only things I don't like about it are the sound,
totaly :???: !?
please, anybody explain. can be possible that logic souds better than cubase or nuendo?!
sandro
Noctulius

Post by Noctulius »

Easy sysx recording/editing/sending/autosending (that is "managing") would be nice. Like, for example, in Cakewalk...
witchstar

Post by witchstar »

On 2002-01-21 02:03, sandrob wrote:
The only things I don't like about it are the sound,
totaly :???: !?
please, anybody explain. can be possible that logic souds better than cubase or nuendo?!
sandro
Yeah, I think that's an accurate statement.
Unfortunately, I (personally) can't stand Logic's UI (doesn't look like gear!), nor the way there's 1000 different windows...

Mark
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I love Logic. It's awesome once you read the manual and work with it, I only wish for a mode where you can enter notes without any MIDI or mouse - keyboard only - like the old tracker days. For some things that would be quicker. But really Logic is almost perfect for me at 4.81 so I cant wait to see what 5 is all about. I can already "export audio" from Pulsar quite easily (although doing this faster than 'realtime' would be cool!)

Oh yeah did you hear about the new Creamware DSP card? It's called Creamware Uranus. I think there are Plug Ins for it.
Lotuz

Post by Lotuz »

Oh yeah did you hear about the new Creamware DSP card? It's called Creamware Uranus. I think there are Plug Ins for it.

Noctulius

Post by Noctulius »

On 2002-01-21 10:27, subhuman wrote:
I love Logic. It's awesome once you read the manual and work with it
Heh... I love Logic too. But have no manual. And eager for it. Do you have anything like that in, say, pdf? Or perhaps html or doc or something?
mythalethe

Post by mythalethe »

if the software would be more stable than my crash prone cubase 3.6, i would be interested. the easy audio capture you describe would be nice, and you are right that the STS already has most of the audio editing capabilities one would need...
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

What I really miss is the export audio and stream to disk facilities of Reaktor. Such things are quite common now. If I could have that with Pulsar I'd cocoon myself into the Land of Pulsar and never come out. :smile: