ASB rack?

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

Lets hope the remote software is a bit more sophisticated than the current ASB software.

For live use you will need to be able to step through patches quickly in a programmed order (I used to have this on my old Crumar BIT 99 and was invaluable for live work). A nightmare if you cannot check you have setup the right patch. A warbling elephant sound in the middle of your power ballad is gonna snuff all those waving lighters out!

or, Maybe someone can produce a gerneric midi addon that plugs into the midi port and pings the device to get curent patch details and then shows this on an LCD screen. Move this display near your master keyboard and you are even better off than having on the rack. Plus this device could be sold for other rack gear (any budding entrepreneurs/technicians?). Have midi/usb sent midi number/name patch data in as well and you could get the name of the patch displayed rather than just numbers. This device would be enquiry only as all requests should come through the master keyboard or sequencer.

Getting back to the point....

As long as I can view what patch I am on somehow, somewhere (breaks into song...), I am ok.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Le Bone on 2006-09-20 03:15 ]</font>
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

I think it's crazy not to have even a 2 or 3 digit basic LED display on this for patch number.

Without it I can only imagine this is useful as a polyphony expander for the corresponding ASB.

Totally blank panels are only useful for Firewire/USB connected VST-accelerator stuff, like say Powercore Firewire or SSL Duende.

2 classic cheap synths with basic LED display for patch readout:

Oberheim Matrix 1000
Nord Micro Modular
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

A very expensive one without: Clavia G2 Engine
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

If you would actually do a Mod3+Flexor ASB, patchable only from software, I would forgive you :smile:
EricNS

Post by EricNS »

On 2006-09-20 01:07, Anna Lüse wrote:
The price of a single electronic unit does not make the price. You have to mount it on a board, add some extra components, have knobs/switches to work with it, have a software, mount it into the unit, (sorry, but add profit for the manufacturer, the distributor, the dealer) ... the world is so bad.
I understand. But it's the same for every small hardware synth company... yet we see little display everywhere, even on units cheaper than the KlangBox...

I didn't expect to see much on these racks but at least a 3 digit display, +/- knobs to select presets and a global volume!

Best,

Eric
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Just put a sticker on the front that looks like a 3-digit numeric display. :lol:

A volume knob wouldn't cost much, so I agree on that one for sure.
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

Redux
Eric Dahlberg

Post by Eric Dahlberg »

On 2006-09-20 04:19, Anna Lüse wrote:
A very expensive one without: Clavia G2 Engine
The G2 Engine doesn't sell very well. Clavia did much better with their Micro Modular.
Uncle E
JRR Shop
TEL: 949-553-8898
FAX: 949-263-1818
http://www.jrrshop.com
http://www.justroots.com
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

Price!
braincell

Post by braincell »

The Nord sounds very different. It has a warmer sound.
On 2006-09-18 13:45, erminardi wrote:
Without the problem of the knobs, why not a ModularIII+flexor Klangbox?
This could be the end of Clavia Nord Modular G2... :grin:
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

They use digital tubes inside.
dawman

Post by dawman »

SFP Lovers,
Since we love customisation of our set-ups, these are perfect. I can't remember the last time I bought something that was set up the way I liked it. These racks should be on the back side of our ATA cases as their depth will be undoubtedly similar to a hardware FX unit of recent years, so you can decide where you want your controller locations. This is so simple, yet so ingenius. It pretty much insinuates thats you are knowledgable enough to make your own desicions in respect to placement of controllers, and such. I'll admit I wasn't impressed with ASB's because they had no place 4 me while performing, and I already had the sounds and synths. This is just the right idea at the right time.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Anna Lüse wrote:They use digital tubes inside.
What the heck are DIGITAL TUBES ? ! ?

From my own knowledge, tubes are just a kind of pre-historic silicium transistors in electronic history. I do not really understand how a tube (analog thing) could become digital (emulation ?).

Keep on providing us some great synths....

CheerZ
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

EricNS wrote:

I understand. But it's the same for every small hardware synth company... yet we see little display everywhere, even on units cheaper than the KlangBox...

I didn't expect to see much on these racks but at least a 3 digit display, +/- knobs to select presets and a global volume!

Best,

Eric
You don't have LCD displays, knobs, etc. on Scope -- it's just a PCI card! Think of this as Scope in a rack and being able to run only one synth. :) You use the PC software to control everything just as you would Scope.

Shayne
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
ali

Post by ali »

My personal opinion of the klangbox is to provide these great sounding Synths with no compromise to the quality of sound to customers at a great price.

The more options CWA adds to these Klangboxes the more expensive they will get. More features certainly will cost more then the idea of getting this synth to the end user at a price that is under 500 USD is defeated.

I think here the customer has the option to go with the ASB or the Klang.
they are the same in sound quality however, one is "knobfull" and one is "knowbless"
:lol: :lol:
hubird

Post by hubird »

I understand that arguement, and also think Shaine said a true word, so it's useless to keep thinking on a few knobs/display.
However, I agree with EricNS, the things he names would make the Klangbox much more attractive for a wider user group.
It looks rather harsh now, no acces to anything.
You could change the name of Klangbox into Klangsafe :lol:

EricNS: I didn't expect to see much on these racks but at least a 3 digit display, +/- knobs to select presets and a global volume!
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

i do think that as creamware users, many are usd to good emulations thanks to our dsp soundcards. Buuuuuuuut, ... for the "common people" :) getting a mythic vintage synth emulation without curbing the cpu power and without latency for the price of 1,5 vsti is very good idea !!!!!! Of course, i already have the excellent B2003 and i will buy before xmas the ASB version fro the knobs. I would not buy the klang of course. Should i want to buy the Prodyssey, and i would definitly go for the klang version which does not depend on computer (i mean you can use it without a computer if you need so).

So i agree 100% with that : creamware has proposed a cheap and a luxury verion of exellent emulation. We just have to chose... I have criticised creamware in the past because of the bad decisions (marketing mainly) but things are far better now. Hardware emulations was a market aim scracely reached those past years... Scope softawre has not competitors... In the same way Vintage hard+soft émulations from creamware have just few competitors. Should you need a good and stable hardware emulation for your gigs and i think that creamware products must be considered...

Jo