What to buy: a second Pulsar card, or Reaktor ?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I love fiddling with synths. Tweaking, building, experimenting, samplign wavs, chopping them up, reprocessing etc. That's why I like the ModV2 so much and why Reaktor appeals.

And since I want to buy some more goodies I'm tossing up between a Pulsar XTC card for six more beautiful DSPs, or Reaktor 3. Both are just about the same price here.

Any opinions ?

thanks,
Spirit

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spirit on 2002-01-17 01:58 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

I'd sure get a Pulsar. It has way more flexibility. And you'll get free updates :wink:
musquash

Post by musquash »

whoaa!! a pulsar xtc for like $400 ? or is reaktor much more expensive there?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Both Reaktor and Pulsar XTC cost $1100 Australian dollars. $1 Aust = 50c US

So what's the deal where you are ? Which one is the rip-off :wink:
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

And some other reasons why Reaktor appeals: -- audio export from the step sequencers
- step sequencers can display dozens of steps, not just the pathetic little 16-step ModV2
- you can "draw" a controller track direct with the mouse. This is a fantastic function - inputting notes is so fast !
- better GUI and Windows standard menus
- "snapshot" function where you can instantly "capture" all parameters and instrument changes (fast).
- produced by a company which at least appears to care and listen
- many more "odd" sound generation modules (granular etc)
- a more innovative and interesting selection of default instruments

Just looking at all the features of Reaktor starts to make me feel very frustrated with the lack of progressive development of existing CW tools. I mean what the hell were CW thinking of with yet another vocoder?! I've got three and never used any of them.

To be fair (your honor) I am really comparing ModV2 with Reaktor which IS a tough call. ModV2 is just a part of Pulsar which I'm comparing to the entire Reaktor package. And tweak as I might Reaktor does sound a little wimpy next to Pulsar. I didn't notice this while fiddling with Reaktor, but I sure did when flicked back to Pulsar - Pulsar kicked its butt !

So now I'm desperate for some ModV2 action to start putting the heat on Reaktor!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spirit on 2002-01-17 04:39 ]</font>
Robert

Post by Robert »

Something's wrong here somewhere!
Reactor 3 costs £225 here in England, which works out as A$550 at the most.
That's way under what you've been quoted.

Robert
Michu

Post by Michu »

Spirit, this is far shot
but maybe you should try Fruityloops and SynC modular(if you haven't already)? they both have almost_not_crippled demos. if those would cover your needs they both together cost 'bout 150$ so maybe you could get them AND XTC :grin:
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Hmmmm. Interesting. Funny how differnt bits of gear are worth different amounts (relative to other bits of gear) depending on where you are...

I've heard before that Reaktor is good, but a bit tedious to put devices together. I've got a very good concept (IMHO) of real analog and VA structures, but I still find Reaktor complex.

I think that the first rush of excitement about Reaktor has now cooled a bit and ModV2 starts looking better and better again. The only area Reaktor really beats ModV2 is in the actual control surfaces: being able to drag your mouse across matrixes to draw notes and velocities is way more advanced than Pulsar.

But Pulsar is the clear winner on sound and that's what really counts.

Still thinking.