[solved] noise spikes while recording using WaveDest module

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

RundFyrkant

Post by RundFyrkant »

it's easy to get your're the funnyman Shroomz but im really looking for a solve here so if you don't mind maybe you could start your own thread and make assumtions about things in general there.
and please don't adress this post either, just keep out if you have nothing relevant to contribute with
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

:eek: hubird?
garyb

Post by garyb »

actually, there have been some solutions and info given and only inderect response. which wav modules are you using? why do you have such a huge virtual memory and where is it located? what happens when you change priority, or do you need info on how to do that? what other apps are open when you have this problem?

i can assure you, the wav drivers work WELL. i use them all the time, although i don't doubt your problem.
RundFyrkant

Post by RundFyrkant »

On 2006-03-02 09:57, garyb wrote:
actually, there have been some solutions and info given and only inderect response. which wav modules are you using? why do you have such a huge virtual memory and where is it located? what happens when you change priority, or do you need info on how to do that? what other apps are open when you have this problem?

i can assure you, the wav drivers work WELL. i use them all the time, although i don't doubt your problem.
i don't run with a huge swapfile. i just ran it as a test to rule out if the swapsize was to low. swapfile on the system C: and is now locked at 3xmy internal RAM. i also tried to use a swapfile on the other drive.
all audio data is on another dedicated drive.
i run no trayprograms exept for a firewall wich i also shut down without improvement.

like you said the drivers should work well, as there's no problem playingback any audio material with any program, and the ASIO does the job flawless without any trace of crackles.

i had no problem whatsoever running with OS2.04 on a 950Mhz CPU with 256RAM a few years back.

the workaround running with ASIO provided by bassdude helped temporarily do make recordings, but the problem remain with the standard driver even with all the tests and changes i've done so far.
any concrete suggestion is much appreciated

*edit typo*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RundFyrkant on 2006-03-02 17:02 ]</font>
garyb

Post by garyb »

use the taskmanager(cntrl-alt-del)and change you audio app's priority to "above normal". you can also try lowering scope's priority...
RundFyrkant

Post by RundFyrkant »

i'm formatting my system now since nothing else seem to work.
thanks for all efforts and support
format c: /u
RundFyrkant

Post by RundFyrkant »

reinstall didnt help...
made another intressting discovery.

i start to recording in soundforge at 44.1khz and while it runs i switch to Scope settings and change the samplerate to 48Khz and then back to 44.1... all while record is progressing. when i stop recoring an playback the result, the crackels are gone after the sampleratechange...

next time i record the crackles are there and i have to repeat the above method to get rid of them.

using this method is of course to far to timeconsumeing when doing 1000 recordings but i think it shows that the problem is within the driver somehow.

any hints? practical hints are very welcome
valis

Post by valis »

Sounds like a clock sync issue for some reason...
RundFyrkant

Post by RundFyrkant »

On 2006-03-18 08:43, valis wrote:
Sounds like a clock sync issue for some reason...
agreed
i'm waiting for a response from some of the techs in germany since this seem like a pretty unique issue.
i'm beginning to think that the old wavedriver needs a shapeup as from what i know it hasn't been patched since 2002-05-07
valis

Post by valis »

Actually if fiddling with the samplerate is how you're fixing it I'm wondering if there's a hardware error (causing sync issues). The wav driver works fine for most people. The only time people have issues that I'm aware of are when they either:

1. Try to use the streaming kernel mode drivers (primarily Sonar users). Seems to still be hit & miss but this is the case for the vast majority of audio cards and hence Sonar supports ASIO (more or less) these days.

2. Try to use the wav drivers and don't realize that the latency of the MME/Wav driver is affected by your SCOPE latency setting, multiplied somehow but the Output Preload setting. It took me about 2 years to 'discover' the output preload setting myself. I'd assume it basically creates more buffers (the latency setting sets buffer size) much like apps like wavelab allow.

I'd hate to think that its truly a hardware problem for you but its a rather odd case you're describing.
RundFyrkant

Post by RundFyrkant »

problem solved!
it was the APIC (Advanced Programable Interupt Controller) that made my Pulsarboard share IRQ with other hardware devices and go completely nuts about it.
In the devicemanager it looked like my hardware had separate IRQs... turned out they didnt because of this XP/NT feature.

this also explains why my settings worked on my old computer. APIC mode is not available with windows 98 (or atleast not activated by default) so this doesnt even have to be considered when installing Pulsar on a 98 machine.

thanx for all the efforts to crack this.
special thanks to Ali and thanks with a cherry on top to Ralf at CW in Germany for leading me directly to the solution.

threads done! lock it down
*edit*
typo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RundFyrkant on 2006-03-22 09:35 ]</font>