Movie score

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

This file has expired and is no longer available here. The owner of the topic can re-upload the file, or post a link to an off-site file. <BR><BR><a name="planetz-tag"></a>Genre: uh.. film score??<BR> <a name="planetz-tag"></a>Uses: Pulsar Mixers<BR> copyright © 2001 Ken Suguro<BR> _____________________________________<BR><BR> Here's that stupid movie score I said I was working on. This is the version for the ending credits. (or the "theme" version) What's funny is that usually, the climax portion would have something in common with the "theme" version but for some reason, I went crazy and did something reaaally experimental-ish. (one of those "can't really write it on score sheet" type of songs) But, it worked and no body got angry.

So here it is. The orchestra is Triton's expansion, the wind instrument you hear isn't really a shakuhachi, it's just me playing my sister's recorder. The swooshing sounds you hear is me scratching a djembe. Cool sound ain't it?
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

This is music I really like!
Your recorder is fantastic! And you are right about the djembe, very cool sound.
Might i suggest one thing: at the 1:06 mark, I hear a timpani(or a taiko?)roll. Would it be possible to put that sound in Multi-mode? That way you would have the skin of the instrument still ringing as the next hit comes. Sort of like your cymbals in your other tune, I like the sounds of drum rolls not to completely retrigger when you hit the not at a close interval.
Again, very nice work, Ken!
Are we listening?..
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Wow! it is my pleasure to get such a great comment from you, paulmartin. The percussion was driven from sts 5000 and I think I share the feeling of the sounds dieing out too much. My friend working at Square sounds (the famous makers of the Final Fantasy soundtrack) said that... and by that time, it was too late because it was during the movie premiere. But anyway, it's great to know that altleast someone appreciates great harmonization and orchestration. Most of the people at the premiere said nothing about the music.... because they really expect it to "be" there without any visible effort.

Oh well, thanx for the comment. I put in LOTS of effort into this one and I was really dieing for a comment about it, all throught the premiere party. (I had to come home without talking to anyone, other than the director and the producer, about how much I had to put into this piece) Don't you hate it when that happens?? uhghhhh!
bosone

Post by bosone »

yeah! i too liked you music very much!!!
soundtrack music is one of my favourite (and the one i tried to write for my album!): i pay a lot of attention at the background music of films:like you said too many people understimate them.
you piece is very good, and is driven very well by the percussion line! (just one question... you score your music before recoding it or you play, for example, the keyboard and record your tracks "on the fly"? - i hope i was clear!)
orchestration (both score and sounds) are very good!
bye
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Bosone! I've checked your piece and liked it very much too. And about how I wrote the song.. For this kind of music, I usually play 1 or 2 voices per instrument, and record them on the fly (works great with strings), then I check the score sheet afterwards for any misharmonizations and whatnots. I usually start with bass first, then melody/top note, then fill in the rest. I think I only have 4 or 5 voices max, the rest is just doubles. Plus, I don't think I even have the ability handle more than 5 voices.. or maybe 6.. When I go more than that, I start to get VEEERYYY frustrated. But one thing I NEVER do with strings is to just "play" them like I would with keyboard instrument. It's always one voice at a time, cuz each line needs to have a character of its own.
shamkara2

Post by shamkara2 »

Hi Ken! Excellent music for movie with good use of effects.
Bravo!
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Hi Ken! Fantastic music. I love this alot. Sound very good, kind of in the room sound. I feel the instruments are surounding me. The ambiance is strong, specialy when strings are presents.

I wish i was able to do such music. This is what i'd love to do!

Do you think us in america will ever see the film this is for? What's the name of the film?
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Well, unfortunately, this film is only going to be released on a very small scale in Japan only.. The film itself isn't of much quality so I don't think anyone should feel left out on anything. :>
I appreciate your interest tho. :smile:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Especially to those who want to get involved in this type of music (marcuspocus and bosone), here's something interesting you could try. Err, actually, I learned this during this production... Try doing the foley track for a clip, and THEN score it. When you do foley (the foot steps and all, do a search on it for more info) you start to think WHY a character is acting a certain way, HOW the tension builds within the scene, etc. These are usual things you'd consider when you score a scene but after you do foley, you start to look at the details at a whole new level. When you spend enough time on it, you can almost make the music "breath" with the actors. That type of synchronization is pure MAGIC. So even tho I hated doing foley, this production meant a lot to me.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Ken, another approach would be the John Williams way, writing a theme for each character oe situation in the film and developing variations on those themes with changing situations in the plot. I'm thinking "Star Wars"... Get it?
Are we listening?..
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Yeah, it seems like the more logical way... I had it in mind but since this film was a short short, I really didn't have enought screen time to establish ANYTHING for each character.. I mean, character introduciton was so fast, it's unbelievable. The main character had around 30 seconds.. and as for the antagonist, he only had around 5 seconds.. can you believe that!
Anyway, the John William method is usually the "preferred" method for me. It 'works'!
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

It makes it a little harder to compose music to illustrate a mood or a feeling in the case you were working in I'm sure!

I too would like very much to get into film music. I will record an old orchestral piece of mine and upload it soon.

Keep up the great work, Ken! :smile:
Are we listening?..
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Thanks alot for those tips Paul and Ken, it maybe obvious for you, but it seem a pretty good idea, and a new way of learning more (again!) for me! Thanks again... Just naming Star Wars had poped a flash in me! I'll try this... I love cartoon, i'll try with some known caracters at first.
bosone

Post by bosone »

thank you for your tips! i learned something VERY interestering!