digital converters, synth querry (by jun)

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

I have been using a fostex vc8 adat converter for my outboard synths (supernova,xv3080), I have been quite happy
with this setup untill I used a pair of headphones on one of my modules and realised I had lost a massive amount of clarity in the sounds. Is this due to the poor conversion of the vc8, and if it is is it best to either- use an analogue mixer into the analogue ins on the pulsar- or are there significantly better converters out there. Also I was
curious as to how much people use the onboard synths as I cant seem to get a decent lead sound(im hoping my new tc
m-one effects board will bring them to life)

Post by Guest »

Subject: Just thoughts

Atleast my synths (Korg Wavestation EX, Korg TR-Rack) and more traditional instruments (acoustic and electric violins and guitars) sound great through Pulsar. If the sound isn't different when recorded through Pulsar or through your converters then the clarity is a factor of your headphones (or the lack of clarity with your monitoring). Most synths also sound different when the phones jack and the line outs are compared.

Disable the effects of your Novation and Roland and they will sound like Creamware. I use the onboard synths (because I can't afford more synths and the Korgs won't do with certain sounds). I have the t.c. electronic M-One and the synths sound great with it. A bit of chorus and delay from Pulsar and the M-One verb and no 'real' synth can sound better.