PowerPulsar - new 15DSP card from Creamware

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

mano

Post by mano »

http://www.futureproducers.com/articles ... +SHARC+DSP

looks like an affordable SCOPE/SP to me, or SCOPE SRB + connection.. 2600 EUROS! pretty good

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mano1.com on 2001-09-14 12:03 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Yup, SCOPE/SP hardware, only with the Pulsar software instead. Quite a cool idea, I think they've had this in Europe a little longer than here...
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

But can you build synths on it ?
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

no - it is scope HW and pulsar SW - you would need to get the scope DP software to do that . . .
Zer

Post by Zer »

...but for users like me, who are not really technicians, this system has got enough power and uses only 1 pci slot. Everybody who bought the pulsar 1 in the beginnig, knows, that this (DSP pwer) is normally insufficient - you´ve got the only chance to get another card. This is not necessary with this system and it save´s ressources, which is essential for pc users, since the hardwaredevelopment of mobo´s is really a crap. Why the hell they didn't develop the IRQ thing??? It´s really a shame, that pc users are still limited to a maximum of 4 cards...that´s 80`s technology in the year 2001.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zer on 2001-09-26 09:48 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I also have a feeling it doesn't come with the SyncPlate (Scope/SP does), to keep the cost down a little more.
mano

Post by mano »

yeah I dont know about the syncplate

But I must say it is a great opportunity to get 15 DSPs as an upgrade (or as a start), for 2500 euros, versus the price of a SCOPE SP or even SRB
oomingmak

Post by oomingmak »

I must admit that I find the Creamware product range really confusing.

So can someone please tell me what the difference is between Scope SP software and PowerPulsar software?

Also can the Pulsar XTC do anything that none of the other Pulsar or Scope cards can do?

Thanks
ohmelas

Post by ohmelas »

This is a great thing indeed. I'm not using SCOPE at all for my studio needs. I don't need to develope software for the platform so the added features of the SCOPE DSP software aren't needed.
For the post above, Power Pulsar uses the Pulsar software which is different than the Pulsar Hardware. The nice thing about Creamware is the compatibility between hardware platforms and the STDM linkage between them. If you get sick of Pulsar (someday I just might get sick of it and upgrade to Scope) I can with out having to buy all kinds of new hardware. Hope that helps.....

15DSPs!!!! Sell your Pulsar I card too and you'll get the ULLI drivers which smoke!!!! You'll really be able to monitor in real time.
at0m

Post by at0m »

On 2001-09-17 03:03, Zer wrote:
... Everybody who bought the pulsar 1 in the beginnig, knows, that this (DSP pwer) is normally insufficient - you´ve got the only chance to get another card.
If I already have 2 PulsarI's I cannot add a PulsarII? Has that got to do with the STDM connections/insufficient STDM bandwith then? Cos PulsarI has only *one* STDM connection and every card should ideally be connected to each other card?

I could always put a Pulsar1 in the other pc and link both... like one soundz studio and one mix pc.
Anyone experience with this? Quite important when I get a new PulsarII, which I've just ordered w my dealer.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

you can use 3 CW cards in a machine. There are THREE STDM connections on the cable. :wink:
Stubbe

Post by Stubbe »

You can attach a PulsarII to your two PulsarI's, you (only) need a STDM connector (connects all 3 boards) and a free PCI slot with no IRQ problems. Try to keep all boards on the same IRQ if possible, and look in the manual for advice on the STDM connection placement.

I have a PulsarI and a PulsarII SRB connected, and I think it's only a matter of time before I need to expand :smile:

Cheers
Stubbe
at0m

Post by at0m »

cheers peoplez
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio