OT: getting to C++

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

android

Post by android »

Hi everybody,

i am programming in MAX/MSP (PD) and i want to see my progs running on DSP...

1st question: can you do native programming in SDK too or do i have to use prebuilt modules?

2nd question: Whitch DSP-board would you use for audio-developement (if not scope)?

The0retically it must be possible to write externals (modules) on your own for scope, but as i follow this list for at least one year, i see no way.

one of the real cool points about scope is that the xp-drivers are kind of solid. (unfortunately buyers of pulsar I had to wait for years to reach this point)

regards,
android

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: android on 2005-09-14 12:07 ]</font>
symbiote

Post by symbiote »

Nah, there's no compiler the CW SDK (unless you have at least $10k =P.) It's all custom modules and completely unrelated to programming, it's a whole lot more like circuit design.

If you want to code your own low-level stuff, there are some fairly cheap DSP development boards (Analog Devices EZ-Kit if they still have it,) altho most of them cost a fair bit more. Analog Devices have an audio-specific development lib that hooks into their VisualDSP environment, but it costs like 2000$ by itself, and you need a Visual DSP licence, so another 2000$-ish, with the actual DSP dev board which will probably be another few $k. They might have some sort of deal package with the whole thing, check out their site.

Most other DSP companies (Motorola, TI, etc) have audio-specific DSP dev boards with audio i/o plugs provided. There should be a few companies doing DSP dev stuff on PCI cards, like BitWare, take a look at http://www.dspdimension.com and http://www.dspguru.com for more links to DSP dev board manufacturers.
android

Post by android »

Thanks very much for the reply.
a was away from dsp-thingy a while, but i remember the dspguru site.
i'll have to ask my university to go buy one of these boards then. hopefully i find one with prebuilt adat-io, otherwise we'll have to develop these too on our own.

android
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, since you're into coding anyway - Silicon Graphics Octane workstations are as low as 80 Euros (on eBay) and come with built in Adat (afaik) - cheaper than a PCI card... :grin:

cheers, Tom
symbiote

Post by symbiote »

And they are so cute! I have a SGI Indigo2 and I love it.