hi,can any one help me find points regarding on how scope is

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ashwin johnson

Post by ashwin johnson »

hi everybody, i am new here so please help me in getting the information i need. i am associated with creamware in marketing and i would like to get some valid points from you experts out there, on how scope platform is better than any other platform?
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

You might find what you are looking for, if you do a search on VDAT (might not be your cup of tea - depends on you) or on cubase and mixing. All in all, the existance of this forum after all these years kind of says it too. Some people prefer Scope - some prefer other things. There is no universal "better".
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

except for scope sounds :wink:
garyb

Post by garyb »

real hardware in a real hardware environment, virtually. :wink:
scope allows the computer to interface all software and hardware in any studio in every way possible in the real world. this is unique. scope allows the computer to sit in the center of the studio, with the mixer and patchbay at the computer instead of the computer being an island when used with the a16 or other 8-16 channel ad/da. scope allows the studio to be inside the computer when used with an ad/da.

guys who only want vsts and who only do dance music often don't see the advantage to this which is sad considering that scope has the best va synths in the business, but anyone who has studio experience and wants a full-fledged, true studio environment for very little money that fits in a computer and still sounds like hardware wants scope.

pay me :wink:
:grin:
ashwin johnson

Post by ashwin johnson »

thanks a million Garyb for your valuable information. please come up with more when u can ok.hoping to hear from u soon
cheers
ashwin
at0m

Post by at0m »

The card's latency is expressed in samples, not milliseconds - it's realtime where the common 'dsp accelerator cards' add latency that has to be compensater for in the sequencer.

The whole Scope system is modular. Scope offers interconnectivity and expandability as no other, in both hardware and software. Extra AD/DA can be hooked up, additional DSP cards can be chained and the whole will be accessible in one Scope OS instantly.

This modularisation goes very broad: From 48 track mixers (multiple chainable of course;) with effects (did you know a sidechain input is standard for dynamics effects on Scope) to a 4track mono mixer or simply a signal summer That and the IO options should suit any mixing setup - or why not multiple at once? The graphical routing environment is most intuitive, it's nice to see the whole studio lay-out on the screen - and very easy to set complex routing in demanding projects.

Superb sounding synths, be it legendary VA or revolutionary new digital synthesis techniques. That brings us to more low level: Scope hosts the best digital modular available. In no time you're build great sounding original effects and synths yourself, by loading and connecting most basic building blocks. No other modular system offers this range and quality of oscillators, filters, envelopes. Arrange the notes and draw tweaks for your Scope synth device or modular patch on your favorite sequencer running on Scope, native or as hardware.

If you really want to go deep, get a 14/15 DSP card and ask CW for an SDK key. The SDK is the free counterpart of DP, a low-level graphical development kit for Scope devices, in which the 3rd party developers created tons of freeware and commercial plugins of superb quality. You don't have to google all the web for them. Planetz hosts them together with most usefull tools, tips and tricks and other usefull information, in an easy to browse forum, for free of course. (hey guys, thought of contributing anything lately?;)

Maybe weird to say, but we had a couple people complaining here recently. I think there may be some usefull idea's in the replies to them too. Pulsarians here are often quite proud of their DSP gear, and tend to defend the product when it's being blamed. I think we find more fun to solve people's problems than starting to argue with a person who's just sold his card. If a problem is posted, often replies (and even solutions with additional tricks) are posted within the hour or even a couple of minutes - it's very unlikely the poster's the first to have had a similar issue, and people who solved it or worked around will help. Creativity, that's what it's all about.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
Lima

Post by Lima »

In my opinion that point are:

1) Flexibility of the routing. No other board can compete for ease and power of the routing. I that's not enought there's also a fantastic modular synth that permits to build your own synthesizer, mixer and effect and to put them in your virtual studio like any other device.

2) Powerfull and professional devices that cover advanced samplers, pro mixers and top emulation of real synthesizers.
As a guy says: "Someone tells to me if I ever tryed Reason, because he was astonished of it, I aswered him that my whole computer is like Reason!" :smile:

3) Hi-end hardware, great dynamics and the stunning possibility of chain more boards to increase the dsp power.

4) Good performances-price ratio.

The negative point is in my opinion: (I know You don't ask for, but maybe can be useful the same)

The host hardware is starting to became less compatible (see less PCI... and the post you can find in the throubleshooting page of this forum). This isn't negative from an absolute point of view; What I mean is that maybe is enought to write down somewhere in the official site: "this board was sucesfully tested with the following systems:..." So one that build his virtual studio can avoid himself to have nightmares...

From this point of view PlanetZ is an exceptional resources' mine! A lot of system was tested and a lot of throuble resolved, but I don't belive that any pulsar user knows this site.

Hope it helps!
(you and all us :wink: )

Marco
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
at0m

Post by at0m »

a couple topics that popped out when i clicked the search link:

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 03&forum=5 and ttp://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?to ... 62&forum=5 on Marketing SFP,
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 84&forum=5
on Scope vs Protools,
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 26&forum=5 and http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 03&forum=5 on favorite synths and devices,

that'll be for now :grin:
I don't believe that any pulsar user knows this site
If you have any question, just ask :wink:
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
garyb

Post by garyb »

nice one at0m.
pseudojazzer

Post by pseudojazzer »

One reason - Planet Z! i don't know of any other platform that has a community to share ideas, solve problems and learn about your gear - its like having 24hr support, except you don't end up on hold or talking to an idiot about your problems but people who care and know a great deal about the product first hand.
My 2c
ashwin johnson

Post by ashwin johnson »

thank you all for your advices. it has really helped a lot. i am only beginning to know about scope. well, keep this thread going because there will be more guys wanting to know more about scope and its advantages.
cheers
ashwin
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

This was surely a wind-up :lol:
Hey, if you're still around Ashwin, check out Sound on Sound's reviews. They gave the Creamware Scope Excellent reviews. Just search Creamware on SOS. If you're seriously interested in Scope & your bugdet can stretch, i'd recomend a 2nd hand purchase on one of the bigger cards, as you'll be DSP hungry when you get a taste for Scope.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: notbobmoog on 2005-07-21 02:14 ]</font>
ashwin johnson

Post by ashwin johnson »

thank you Notbobmoog.
hesnotthemessiah

Post by hesnotthemessiah »

I have been using my two Scope Pro Adat cards for about 4 months now and the best thing about them for me is the way they interact with Cubase VST5 and VST plugins. I don't use XTC mode but use the "virtual" ASIO connections provided by the Scope software to connect my VST stuff from Cubase, plus other VST stuff running on EnergyXT on my other PC, into the wonderful STM4896. The features and sound quality provided by the STM4896 really makes a big difference compared to using the Cubase mixers! It's great being able to make the most of Scope's great effects (love the reverbs - only really tried Masterverb Pro, PT2012 ST) and mixers but still have the option of using VST fx aswell (plus, of course, not taxing my CPUs!). I still tend to use the VST instruments more than the Scope's as I have found, after being initially blown away by Mimimax and the like, that most of the Scope synths tend to have "that" sound plus there are so many VST options available to hand that I know how to use and love using (energyXT, midi effects etc). I can't even begin to adequately describe "that" sound but I just don't like too much of it. I know that's very vague but it's the best I can do! This is, of course, only my opinion and, in terms of "that" sound, I am definately in the minority with my opinions (at least as far as I am aware). I must stress that the Modular stuff (fx & instruments) that I have briefly tried all sounded great and would definately get more use - but that leads me to the main problem - bugs that are well passed their should be fixed by date (especially modular related stuff and mixer probs) and the way the Scope system handles presets and banks. I still cannot work out how to save a preset, as in a "program" in Cubase speak, to a folder which contains my other files related to that particular song. Saving the whole project in this manner is simple enough though.

Plus lastly - the price. Ridiculous! Turnkey charging about £1500 for a Scope Pro card in England. I paid about £900 for mine from America and, even though I would find it very difficult to live without them now, this seems like the very most I would pay for one Scope Pro card. About £800 seems a decent price.

As for the SOS reviews - are these "real user" in "real user environment" reviews? I think that's what Ashwin is after.

Edited - should read 2 Scope Pro Z Link not Adat cards. (you can sleep now :smile: )
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hesnotthemessiah on 2005-07-26 23:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hesnotthemessiah on 2005-07-29 16:34 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hesnotthemessiah on 2005-07-29 16:34 ]</font>
ashwin johnson

Post by ashwin johnson »

Thanks a million for your contribution hesnotthemessiah. This is the kind of feedback i am looking for.....keep up the good work.
cheers
ashwin
garyb

Post by garyb »

honestly, i think the price is about right, but cheaper is usually better. :wink:
cheaper is not better when it means a crappier product, however.
hesnotthemessiah

Post by hesnotthemessiah »

Hi Garyb. I think you get excellent value for money in terms of

1) software supplied with the cards and the Scope environment,

2) Scope's routing window, screen shot options and superb VST integration via the virtual ASIO routing (can't say anything about XTC mode, don't, and probably never will, use it).

It's just a shame that, I feel, this is often let down by the lack of DSP resources and some bugs that really should have been sorted out a while ago.

If Creamware were to advertise the card, highlighting:-

1) improvements on it's DSP resources (by at least 175% so a 15DSP card now came with about 26 DSP). Show all the great software supplied as standard and show how much of it could now be run at once on a single card, and, of course, show how much strain Scope will take off your CPU.

2) show how well it integrates within the VST environment using the great range of mixers and virtual connections (with improvements to the XTC mode so that it actually works well - I have read many negative XTC mode comments). Plus show the number of connection options (plus upgrades) and third party software available.

All this advertised and reviewed in the audio press and watch Creamware's fortunes turn.

Now when do you want me to start? :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hesnotthemessiah on 2005-07-29 17:16 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

right, but better than best would be an in-the-scene-worldwide nr1 techno track, based on Minimax, Prodyssey or ProTone, or all of them at once :grin:
With Solaris on every remix of it :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2005-07-29 18:57 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I think this sounds pretty good, I say this all the time:

There is only one thing better than Pulsar... and this is two Pulsars... :grin:
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*