Education

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

srigi001

Post by srigi001 »

Hi everyone
I'm a pulsar/computer music user for several years now and i've decided that this is my direction in life, therefore the logical step from here is to study the things i've been doing for years. My question is: does anyone know of a good school/uni/college around the world that i can study in depth the whole field of music production? I currently hold bachelors degrees in music and mathematics so stepping right into a masters program is also a thought that had crossed my mind.
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

For US, try Princeton, Standford, Dartmouth. I think those are the biggest players in terms of electroacoustic music. But there are great schools in britain, france, or germany, each with very different influences. (france is a powerful influence I think) Can't give you specific school names off my head though. From my experience, it seems to me that schools in the US try very hard to get you to publish things. Like in journals and such. So, you spend a lot of time reading books and writing research papers. Not sure about any of the European countries, but I hope things are different there.

The important thing is, stick to big cities. I don't know about you, but I think the music scene surrounding the school is as important as the academic content the school has to offer. If you get stuck in the country side, you won't have a music scene outside of school. And an academic music scene is never going to be as lively as an underground scene.

I am also in a similar situation.. I have a bachelors in digital art, and stepped on to a master's program in music technology at a not so famous school in Florida called Florida International University. I just finished my first semester, and my feelings are mixed. Something tells me my time is better spent learning by myself, and not from classroom lectures or final papers. I feel I'm better off just getting a job as a composer or producer and learning from it.

People won't hire you for how much you know, but will look at how many products you've already launched, or how many awards you've won. You don't do much of either in school. Take time and think about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2005-06-11 20:35 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

That’s a tremendous reality Ken, and I think as you that the best way to learn is getting into the land of music, otherwise you theorise too much and for a long time. I don’t like it either. I’m sure many of the musicians we acclaim and love, are not formed intellectually but practically, which is more important. I do believe that we have to learn the basics on mix & master techniques and get to know the basics, but that’s all. The rest is studding instruments for long, long years and composing all the time.

I had a great teacher, who has died recently, he was the Director of the Symphonic Orchestra at Cordoba, Argentina, and taught us something very simple, but extremely effective, he said: “You must compose at least 30 minutes everyday”. The reasons he gave us were that first, you develop your inner ear, which is very important, then you develop something which cannot be learnt or emulated, or anything, that is getting mature in your “musical intentions”; then there was the speed of your work, the understanding of harmony, etc. And yes, this practice of composing every day at least 30 minutes develops every possible skill as a musician, because composing is the ultimate skill, as it needs everything else: good sound, good performance, good instrument skills to transform your ideas into sound, good libraries, etc., etc., etc.

Everything in its own measure is perfect; when it becomes too much it overcomes you and your amount of time left is drastically reduced, this is truly bad. Time is NEVER enough, as you get old quite fast and need even more time for many everyday things like paying bills, going to the supermarket and sleeping…

After all, what a person wants from life is being ultimately happy. If you want to be happy you need to enjoy what you do, if you don’t, it is hard to be happy ever. I personally have paid a high price for doing none commercial music for ages, but well, had a choice to do: do I get the path of being happy right now, or do I get the path of fulfilling all the rules and start enjoying music in 20 years? I started enjoying immediately, and after all, I realise that many very learned people did not develop their skills studying many books, but understanding the basics and then, building their own world. I think a strong foundation is good, particularly at the beginning, but I wouldn’t either spend 20 years studding theories.

The problem:
The problem of doing such a thing, is that you don’t get much money for a living, and you may easily get in trouble so, particularly in the health side of things, as you get older… But well, every situation has a good and a bad thing, you can never have everything in life, at least try to have what you love more.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
dawman

Post by dawman »

Speaking of playing music. I've played every venue imaginable, and have gained a wealth of knowledge, and trouble. The fact that I continue to do this is a testament in itself. I will play till I can't. BTW, I have always made a decent living, raised one family, and have no intentions on doing anything else. I will probably invent a way for the elderley to perform live. I KNOW it's what keeps me young. Also, for a keyboardists' point of view. Play all styles, and survive!!