Oscilloscope Module?

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

dblbass

Post by dblbass »

Anything like this exist? I'd like to be able to view wavforms while I tweak.

Obviously, this could be something within the Mod2 box, or without, in the pulsar environment.

any such thing exist?
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

The closest thing inside Pulsar I can think of is Anna FFT from <a href=http://www.orbitone.org>Orbitone</a> which is free and takes nearly an entire PulsarI board to run. (There's got to be a way to optimize that so it's half the size or less, doncha think?)

A smaller-DSP load FFT, and an oscilloscope for Pulsar would be really appreciated, as I would like to watch both of those things in RealTime with Zero Latency, therefore a Pulsar-native solution would be ideal.

Anyone else?
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

just saw a link to this the other day. haven't tried it, but looks cool:

http://www.sekd.com/product_main/sonoscope_info.htm

it's not native pulsar, so you'd need to wire your audio source to the wave dest module, and tell sonoscope to listen to the wave dest, but that should work ok. there's a downloadable demo, so you can give it a try.

Re: Orbitone's Anna taking a lot of dsp, well, hey it's a freebie! :smile:

-john
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Hey John, don't take my comments as a complaint but more as a compliment that it's such a wonderful tool that I'd like to have it loaded more often than I can right now due to it's size. I appreciate that device :wink:

I'll check out the other demo you mention too.
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

is it just me, or is the response pretty slow on the analyzer? i have hardware acceleration turned of on my grafix card (g450) . . .
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

which one?

sekd's? or orbitone's?
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

orbitone
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

i found a better oscilliscope for pulsar!

it is:
1) WAY lower in dsp usage than the orbitone one
2) available in 3 neat-o colors :grin:
3) faster in response than the orbitone IMHO
4) FREE :smile:

there is a 16 band (one color) and 30 band version. download them here (the first three are together, the 16 band one is a bit lower on the list):
http://www.siegelmusic.de/userdevices.html

check out the author's site (Wolfgand Wanko)here:
http://www.ars-resonor.de/down.html

cheerz!
dblbass

Post by dblbass »

Wolfgang's (ars-resonor) analysers are great, but I'm still hoping to find a real oscilloscope - you know, a scope with the squiggly line representing the wave form, with a tunable window width and sampling frequency - so I can look at the actual waveform at a given frequency, then observe visually how different modulations and filters affect its shape. also still hoping to find an FFT 3D (or waterfall) spectrum analyser which will interface with - or work within - pulsar.

any other ideas?
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

i knew what you meant by oscilliscope - sorry i do not think we have one. the post about the analyzers was more for subhuman. it sounds like he is using up beloved dsp for an inefficient device too often when there is a better alternative already available.

3rd party developers? a nice oscilliscope? pretty please?
Robert

Post by Robert »

Unless you used an external control, I would of thought it would be a bit tricky changing things in Pulsar and watching the Oscillascope, especially in Windows.
There's a few programmes that let you load pre-recorded .wav files, so you could watch the squiggly lines there. That might be easier.

Robert
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2001-06-12 14:11, algorhythm wrote:
is it just me, or is the response pretty slow on the analyzer? i have hardware acceleration turned of on my grafix card (g450) . . .
Do you mean g4/450? If so and if you run 9.0.4 OS then you should throw away a folder called Multiprocessing from your extensions one. You should do it manually (it is invisible in the EM control panel). The folder is useful only if you have multiprocessor Mac. I found it causes problems (the extension) and slows down graphics performance in cubase too (and any app). Perhaps it works in 9.1 also.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

algorhythm has a cusl2 pc :smile: no mac.

algorhythm - why do you have graphics acceleration turned off? With an AGP card that could actually force more strain onto your CPU...
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

On 2001-08-13 09:32, subhuman wrote:
algorhythm - why do you have graphics acceleration turned off? With an AGP card that could actually force more strain onto your CPU...
well, that was on my lowly AMD K62-500mhz, VIA M/B. It made sense to turn it off then, but now I have it set to minimum (Matrox G450 w/32MB DDR, CUSL2-C, PIII 933, 384MB RAM). Is this setting not OK? Should this be set to full HW acceleration? I thought that minimizing graphics processing helps to free up resources for audio processing. I do not mind low refresh rates; I like VST FX quite a bit more! Let me know if I am erring here, and if so, what to do!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: algorhythm on 2001-08-13 14:41 ]</font>
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

(Matrox G450 w/32MB DDR, CUSL2-C, PIII 933, 384MB RAM). Is this setting not OK?
Well, boost your acceleration to full, you won't notice any difference in performance (except for video :smile: ), cuz there's no CPU or PCI bus usage on CUSL2-C by the AGP. BTW, you have the almost the exact same setup as me (Matrox G450 32mb DDR, CUSL2-C, P3-1000, 512MB ram). Using DualHead? :grin: