Modular FX Machines!

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

Hello all! I have 'discovered' a great use for Modular2! By using the M/S insert rack and Modular FX in serial, one can come up with great fx routing possibilities. For example, delay>chorus>filter, or phase>flange>reverb.

Also, using the insert racks in Modular2 gives MIDI control over FX devices which lack MIDI control. I have even noticed that it works on devices which the 'midi-izer doesn't, if I remember correctly! Furthermore, this Modular route is more flexiblethan the insert rack by spacef(?) for this purpose.

I have found that by creating a few of these Modular patches with my favorite FX loaded in the proper config, I can quickly hook the outputs of a synth or outboard device to the Modular and start getting creative with FX processing! - A lot less time spent wiring up several devices in tandem, or loading up inserts into the BM. Additionally, You can save 'omnipresets', by saving presets of the Modular, which keeps all of the configs of each FX inserted in the patch. Thus, switch from a really long delay with a lot of reverb to a short delay with a short reverb tail simply by sending patch change messages to the Modular FX machine.

I am _really_ keen on this, and am sure that some of you out there know of this use, but I thought that I would make this info available for those not in the know on this.

Let me know if you like the idea, or can think of a way to improve upon it!
mystermac

Post by mystermac »

I was hoping to use it in this way too - just haven't got round to it yet, so thanks for the inspiration. Fancy putting up an example for us ?

Mac
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

sure - i'll upload one of em. One problem is that I use a lot of third party (free) devices in them. Anyone have any comments on the ethics/law of distributing a modular that is 'linked' to a device? I would not need actually include the devices inserted, but, the modular patches will want to look for the device. Would this be OK?
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I imagine it would be okay if the ZIP file included a text file explaining which (obviously brilliant, if you used them in your patch :wink: ) 3rd party devices you used, along with who made them, and a link to their website with a big thank you note (maybe even mentioning the creators full name) with copyright notice, then I can't really see anyone getting upset. Of course, I've been wrong before :wink:
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

mystermac - i have provided an example for your fancy :smile: I upped a Mod patch entitled <font color=blue>Tempo FX Machine</font> to the file section of this site. check it out. <p> you will need the 2012 reverb and the stereo Uknow filter (see the read me included in the *.zip).
This patch is a MIDI synced FX processor. All FX are routed serial, and the first three are set to midi clock thru a frequency splitter. Some really fabulous, yet simple, (algo)rhythmic fx are possible. The patch is meant as a processor for synths (especially pads), but you can pass any audio source thru it! :wink: there are more of these to come, this one is fairly simple. lemme know here or thru email whatcha think/how it can be improved, modified.

l8er pulsarz
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Thanks for the patch, algorhythm.

I don't think there can be any 'ethical' problem distributing a patch which uses a 3rd party effect in an insert slot. The patch does not contain the effect itself, only a reference to it, so if the user doesn't have the effect, it just won't be able to use it.
Luckily, if you do open a patch which uses an effect which you don't have (or more importantly, which you do have, but not in the same directory structure as the patch creator) the insert slot will still display the name of the effect it is looking for, so you can find it yourself, or substitute a similar effect.
I found this out with the SOS Brass patch - some presets weren't making any noise at all for me - this is because the effect slot was set to 100% wet 0% dry and I didn't have the same effects in the same directories as Robin.

The ethical dimension will come in when using 3rd party Modules in your patches because they do actually get embedded in the patch when you save it - I think that it's fine if they have been made publically available (like Mehdi's text modules, or the first Obsidian Modular pack) but clearly you must be careful not to release patches which contain commercially available modules (eg, Obsidian PowerUP).

Cheers,
Ben
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

I have a new way of thinking of the ethics of this:
If someone downloads a Mod patch with reference to a 3rd party effect, then it will ask for said effect on startup. This is advertising. Nag-ware even. The person will be motivated to go get the device at the developers site (as the URL is conveniently placed in the readme file), and might then buy something at the site. Increased traffic usually results in increased business. . .
mystermac

Post by mystermac »

Just wanted to thank algorythm for the patch - bit late I know - I dont come in here much - and to say it has been very inspiring.
Thanks again.
Mac
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

:wink: