Vocal Sounding Modular

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

Hello All - I am working on a choral, and I need to make some synthesized voice sounds. I am fairly new to Modular 2 and need your help. I presume that I should use the vocal filter? What types of oscillators are most convincing/effective? I do not need to synthesize actual words, just human style 'oohs' and 'ahhs' Thanks for helping me
:oops:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: algorhythm on 2001-04-29 15:03 ]</font>
PabloFasan

Post by PabloFasan »

Hello:

The acoustic formants from the human voice are one of the most complex natural filters for to be emulated.

I the case of to be possible, they will require LOTs of DSP and a really complex set of FIR filters (convolution filters).

This is out of the possibilities of a Pulsar and probably of a Scope.

I'm working in something for this purpose, but much more simple.

In any case you will be forced to work with external audio signals, instead of to generate them with the modular synth.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

The vocal filter works pretty decently, have you checked out the "Vocal Patch" that comes with your Modular2? That seems a good place to start.

A few ideas, you might consider using a decent vocal .WAV file, and use a WAV Oscillator. Try that out, and experiment further with "Vocal Patch" upload your experiment to planetZ for further input/contributions, etc...
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

thanx subhuman -
yeah the vocal patch is a good start (found it yesterday). The .wava sample is a good idea, although it might not work well for pitchbends? also, I'm gonna need to do microtuning scales with this one (yes I AM a dork :smile: ), and I'm not sure how well samples will work with that. I'll upload my struggles to zplanet
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

the patch is coming nicely - a pair of waldorph oscs running through a tube resonator, then a vocal filter -
does anyone have good vocal samples? I want to include a pair of sample oscs to give it a more 'human' sound. I need just the sound of the human voice - no words - maybe even a choir or something? female would be better too. thanx if n e body can help.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Curious to hear your results algorythm... :grin:
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

yeah, yeah - this one has gotten the backburner for awhile - sorry, priority change - trying to finish some long overdue tracks to upload here :wink:

i have dropped the microtuning thing (gonna use reaktor or VAZ+). it will still be vocalish, just a chilling-creepynot-quite-human sound so far . . . [but i rather like it :grin: ]

- i will make some presets
- i will finish it this week for ya'all!