Help for building an audio processor

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

PabloFasan

Post by PabloFasan »

Hello Everybody:

I'm developing a device for multiply an audio signal.

The purpose is to create an audio output that could produce the ilusion of to have multiple incoming signals.

It's thinked for to be applied to voices and strings samples, and not for percussion sounds.

ie: incomming signal=1 solo violin
output signal=16 violins

For to finish it I'm needing a simple stereo signal delay module and a phase angle modifier.

The standard delay module seem to be not to much appropriate, due it is mono and also it has a lot of unnecessary controls that colour the signal and change the output gain.

What I need is a simple module capable of create different offset values to an incoming signal without introducing timbral modifications (no filters).

The phase angle modifier needed is more complex, it must have one or two modulation input for connect LFOs or EGs.

If someone has an idea about how and where can I get these modules I'll be grateful.

Thanks in advance
Pablo
pfasan@sinectis.com.ar
medusa13

Post by medusa13 »

sorry to write you here, but Don't I know you from the EMBA???
PabloFasan

Post by PabloFasan »

If you live in Argentina probably you know me, but not from there.

I have never worked at EMBA.
Michu

Post by Michu »

hi Pablo,

have you thought about combfilters?
those are just recursive delays tuned to certain freq.
and you can modulate it. try using some with no resonance (i.e. feedback)

cheers

michu
PabloFasan

Post by PabloFasan »

I'm not to much convinced of the use of recusive delays for create the "mass" effect.

What I'm searching is a natural change in the signal timbre(sound colour) and feedback tend to generate non desired modulations, even without using resonance, as result of the recursive repetition.

If I were building a tap delay it could work but not here.

I'm trying to reproduce with the modular the acoustic effect of a string section or a choir using as source a "solo" sample.

The output signal must be the result of the sum of multiple independent signals that are not in phase and do a random interaction.

This gives a very different colour than a recursive delay.

Also the use of recursive inputs is limited in Pulsar due, it could increase without control the amount of energy that could be supported by the circuits.

Something like this, is the reason of the lack of MIDI thru function.

Feedback without control could burn the converters or the DSP chips.

Thanks for your opinion, I will not discard it at all.
--------------------------------------------
PS: If you are interested I have plans to build a clon of a Yamaha DX7 with the modular, that could control via MIDI the output level of the oscillators, the frecuency fine and the envelopes attack.

And also create 32 patches each one with a different algorithm, that could be called using program changes.

This could seem a little stupid, due the FMOne is a perfect clone , but CW refuse to release the polyphonic version of this synth (that's finished)for unknown reasons.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PabloFasan on 2001-05-07 20:50 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PabloFasan on 2001-05-07 20:51 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

FMOne Polyphonic comes with Scope...
PabloFasan

Post by PabloFasan »

But only for a registration matter, due it can work perfectly in a Pulsar II, with less voices but without any other problem.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Another strange, and ultimately catastrophic decision on Creamware's part to keep Scope/SP <b>elite</b> and to help justify it's high price. Although the FMOne can be FMmany on even a "lowly" Pulsar2, we can't even get it.

Same thing with the STS5000. I bought STS4000 before it was out, and would have considered an SP setup if I knew it was coming. And there still isn't a way for anyone to buy the STS5000, you <b>have to buy Scope</b>. Why won't they take my money and give me the STS5000? Very strange, and ultimately, a poor business decision, as it'll get cracked and spread on the web if it can't be obtained easily through legal channels; people will get it illegally then.

But then again, Scope/SP is just that much more <i>elite</i>. Don't you just want it? :wink: I guess this is off topic for the thread, and the forum, so I'm done now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-05-13 00:46 ]</font>

edit: Creamware Releases STS5000 for everyone, with lower priced upgrades from STS3000 or STS4000. WHOO!! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-09-25 14:50 ]</font>