I would like to learn to create new sinths

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I would like very much to learn to create my own synths. I've tried to do something with Modular I (the one I own) and it's quite difficult, yes.

I know it's a matter of time, but which would be the first step to get there? Any suggestion? Or is there someone that could explain it to us, step by step? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels naked facing Modular matters.

Thank you.

Nestor
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

The best way to get started with the Modular is to open some of the simpler patches that come with your Pulsar and go through them, remove cables, see what changes. Put them back in. Start removing some of the modules and strip a patch to the bare essentials, then start adding your own things to it.

The manual is also pretty helpful if you need to look up the meaning of an abbreviation, etc. on the panel of a module.

Depending on your synthesizer architecture knowledge, you may want to get <a href=http://www.wizoo.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects ... .3>Wizoo's Analog Synthesis Guide</a> or check out Curtis Road's "Computer Music Tutorial" book. I got CMT here which is really an excellent book and explains most concepts enough that you can use it to find which areas of sound and synthesis you want to explore more.

There are a world of possibilities in a modular... the best way to learn is to read, read, read, read, read, and experiment, experiment, experiment. Oh yeah and look at other people's patches too ;]
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Yep, that's exactly what I do. Take a patch that I like and start replacing modules. Often I'll start with the oscillators. I'll drop in a new oscillator, see where the old one is connected and then duplicate those connections. When I'm confident I've copied all the connections I delete the old module.

This is a great way to learn. Soon you'll find that you don't need to examine and compare so closely and you can just drop new ones in and hook 'em up. Before you know it you'll have completely rewired a patch.

I think the hardest part to master is the sequencer modules (V2) - I've had to do a lot of comparing to get the hang of them and I'm still not quite there.

My biggest problem is that I'll start writing presets for the patch, then add another few modules to tweak up a sound....it's hard to know when to stop.

cheers,
Spirit
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

well, the modular and in general synthesis isn,t something u can learn only with experiments... the synthesis algorythms require advanced module connection... are u wish to find by chance synthesis algorythms?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

What aspect are you talking about Fra? You can't delve into the guts of hardware synths either....
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

u can't find the exact algorythms but u can understand the basic structure responsible for the synthesis which one u can copy (most of all there is oscillator sync + some Fm ) (depends) (nova- jp 8080)
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I hope that people that for whatever reason (mine is money) couldn't buy modular II could post their modular I creations into Planet Z. This is what I would like to do too, to create a few useful modular synths and post them here.

I'll start by reading more, so let's see how difficult it really is to get into the modular matter.

Cheers, Nestor.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Thanks for your answers guys. I've done a bit of this, yes, trying about but I'd like to understand what I'm doing. You let me feel that there is no other path but to get into it deeply and at the same time, paying and experimenting.

Nestor
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Nestor: What, my book suggestions didn't do it for you? :wink:

Also try this: <a href=http://tilt.largo.fl.us/faq/synthfull.html>BEGINNER'S SYNTHESIZER FAQ</a> if you don't have cash for a book, this is nice.

There's also the Modular section to <a href=http://www.creativesynth.com/toc.html>Creative Synth</a> that has some good tidbits that can be applied to Pulsar Modular

Guy Eastwood @ FXpansion once-upon-a-time wrote a great intro tutorial to Pulsar Modular1, maybe someone knows where to get a copy of this and can post here...
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Because I used all the old hardware analog synths and programmed my own sounds it seems reasonably straight-forward to me. If I had to start at the beginning wondering what the filter ADSR did, then I think I'd be in big trouble...

I remember tring out one of my first synths in a shop - it was the Pro-One. I started out with a reasonably squelchy bass and within a few minutes I was just getting a funny croaking noise. I had no idea how I did it, nor could I get any other sound happening. So I slid out of the shop in embarassment and ended up buying a Korg MonoPoly - without even playing a single note ! I decided I'd learn at home...

Just like with tweaking computers there's usually an awful lot of "assumed knowledge" you need.