Mod V2 sites

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Spirit

Post by Spirit »

There seems very few good sites for the ModV2. Over in "general discussion" JC pointed me toward PlanetZ's area which has to be the best I've seen:
http://www.planetz.com/Pulsar/Patches.html#Modular

The Modular Corner site is a bit lame:
http://www.modularsynth.co.uk/

This is an ill old site:
http://www.firstquote.de/pulsar/

A dull old list of modules (you see this everywhere):
http://www.portlandmusiccompany.com/devices.html

And that's about it. Does anyone know any others?

cheers,
Spirit
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I noticed with the LunaII, you now get a CD entitled "Free Plugins," and on the CD is the Obsidian Modular suite. I didn't know where to get this before now that Obsidian is now FXpansion.

Also, why are you dissin' Ben's Modular page? It's only as good as the community makes it. Ben will put up any pulsar-modular related news and tips & tricks, but I'm sure he doesn't have the time to sit and write all the articles himself, he's got music to write. So maybe once you get enough knowledge together you could contribute to it? I hope to in the future after I play with Mod2 more :smile:
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

No offense to Modular Corner, I'm just listing sites I've found. If it's a one-man operation then full credit to him especially since I'm comparing it to larger commercial operations.

My point was that unlike this Forum (hopefully), most of the listed sites were very static. Little was posted or discussed and content rarely updated.
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Hi Spirit,
no offence taken :smile:
As Subhuman said, I'm a one man band as far as the site goes, and on top of work, band (http://www.nortica.co.uk), beta testing Pulsar and having a life I don't have as much time as I'd like to write articles for the site, nor do I pretend to have the knowledge that many other users have.

I aim to at least keep the news section up to date with any (Pulsar) modular related news, and to keep the list of available patches up to date. The Links section contains some good pointers for people to get started in their exploration of the modular world.

Now that we have this forum on planetZ I'll try and keep the Tips section updated with any salient points that come out of here.

As far as new content, I'm always preparing new stuff, but time is limited. Preparing those signal flow diagrams takes an age, as does preparing screenshots of each module in the Modular so progress is slow.

I've repeatedly asked for contributions for the site in terms of samples ,descriptions of patches, new presets, etc, but the response has been limited. A few people have contributed but I'm surprised at how few people are even prepared to share presets (not just for the Modular), let alone try and spend some time explaining how patches work, etc.

There are a few initiatives in the pipeline which may increase the content of the site, but it always boils down to how much time I have available.

As I've said 'Any contributions gratefully received',
cheers,
Ben
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Just shows how easy it is to forget (well for me) that a lot of sites are run by individuals who just believe and enjoy, not companies.

Now this is going to sound damned ignorant, but how do I contribute a patch? Do you just go to Explorer and pull a .mdl out and e-mail it? Do the presets go across with it?

Come to that, it would be interesting if we could post patches in this forum, then we'd really know what each other was talking about...
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Hi,
If you're contributing to PlanetZ go to the 'Files' page, and click on the link at the very top of the page, and fill in the form.

To contribute patches to the Creamware user patch site, mail them to patches@creamware.de

In either case, yes it's the .mdl file you want and presets are automatically sent with the .mdl file (provided you're not storing them in an external *.pre file).

If you're using the sample pool module, all samples in the pool will get included in the .mdl as well, which is a very nice way of making sure all users can use the samples you've based your patch on. (See my 'Playing the Pool' patch as an example).

If you want to contribute anything (Patch descriptions, example samples, screenshots, tips, etc) to the ModularSynth site, just send them to modular@nortica.co.uk

I don't think you should send patches to me as there are already two archives for these on the net, but I will endeavour to keep the list of patches up to date, and will create a patch page for any patch which I receive any additional files for - even a screenshot and one line description will do !

Cheers,
Ben