Tape delay 64 bits

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Tape delay 64 bits

Post by JoPo »

Hi !
I'm a bit lost with modular tape delays...
I remember that it crashed 64 bit pc but some working .sys files have been released. Called "Tapedelay64.sys" and "tapeDelayShort64.sys", modified on 06/06/2011, I guess I've got the right files. Certainly installed with the v7.
But the module files have a modified date = 12/15/2009, so 2 years older than the sys files.

Today, I launched the tapedelay module and ... crash... :D So ... Have I the right tapedelay files ? Is there still bug with tapedelay modules on 64bits computer ?

Thanks !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
yayajohn

Re: Tape delay 64 bits

Post by yayajohn »

Jopo; I tried every version that was floating around and I never found any that were stable on 64bit. Perhaps others have been successful but the best that I could do was to save the modular patch without the tape delay and then load them up manually each time I opened the patch. Otherwise you risk not being able to open the patch before it crashes. When Ray came out with Optimus and his Tape Delay, I lost interest in fiddling with them. Still I do kind of miss them
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks a lot for the info ! Actually, I was convinced some newer files were working. But it seems I was wrong. I can't even load the module without a crash... Pity... I had a great idea to modulate the delay time with the Flexor elastic modulation module. That should be funny !
dawman

Post by dawman »

I was experiencing the same bug only after trying to use 2 so I could have different delay times for left/right.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I really hope to see that bug fixed on the next update ! But there are so many things to fix... :roll:
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yayajohn ! Is the tape delay you're talking about the plugin called "tape echo" ?

Indeed, it does the job. But I'd like to use the same kind of tape dely in modular in order to be able to modulate some of its parameters like the delay time. I could do that via midi but you know like me that it will be completely different in term of timing and accuracy. Or maybe Dna released a modular tape echo version ?
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Yeah that is the one. Nope, no modular version that i'm aware of but perhaps Ray has something in the works.
Not sure what you modulate and how much but for me I used the modular tape delays with a little bit of pitch drift. Optimus works well for that and also SF Ambient/Echo4i and can be located in the main project window for better DSP allocation. As I recall, the Tape Delays sucked a good amount of DSP juice inside the mod shell. (I always used 2 just like dawman posted)
Remember Wolf's Tape Delay? Not modular but really smooth sounding. It actually seems to work on my Xite/64bit/Scope7.
Huge amount of DSP's to run it though i'm not showing any Sync on the DSP load window.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks ! Now I must check all that.. But still no modular tape delay in view...
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

JoPo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:03 am I remember that it crashed 64 bit pc but some working .sys files have been released. Called "Tapedelay64.sys" and "tapeDelayShort64.sys",
There was more than that. The modules themselves were updated and the scope driver was updated. The updates were never official, and SC do not have them in their archives.

I hope they get it up and running again as they did 9-10 years ago.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

So ! I was right ! But why do we still have bad files in Scope 7 !? Is there really nobody who has got them ? I'm quite sure I've got them but they don't work in v7, in fact.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

the fixed driver was for v5.1, so i wouldn't expect it to work for v7. i could be wrong though.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the delay issue is not a driver issue.
i believe it's an sys file issue, so it should work with v5.1 or v7, if you have a working version. send me a copy of the working version, if you find it.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

garyb wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:27 pm the delay issue is not a driver issue.
i believe it's an sys file issue, so it should work with v5.1 or v7, if you have a working version. send me a copy of the working version, if you find it.
Unfortunatelly, none of the versions I have work ! And it seems to be the same for Yayajohn and Next to nothing.

But if anyone has a working version, please !!
the_mind_as_music

Post by the_mind_as_music »

Hi there,

Just to be clear, are you all talking about the version for XITE-1 and/or the cards?

Robert
check out my Sonic-Core Modular / eurorack emulations and other stuff here;
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCauLvP ... kC_k6M_Fhg …?

https://www.instagram.com/the.mind.as.music/

twitter - https://twitter.com/mind_as_music
valis

Post by valis »

Good clarification.

Whatever versions you guys find, if they are not in official Scope packagers I'll discuss how best to make them available to everyone via GaryB if you identify what version(s) you find and which product they support (Scope PCI or Xite).
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

the_mind_as_music wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:05 am Hi there,

Just to be clear, are you all talking about the version for XITE-1 and/or the cards?

Robert
Currently retesting on my Scope 7 PCI Win 10 32bit computer. Started with a very simple patch I had made years ago with 2 tape delays and 2 LFO's.
The patch opened but when I connected it, LED meter pegged out and system crashed.
Restarted the system. Remade the same patch from scratch and it seems to work fine.
I will continue to test and report any instability.
**Again this is 32bit PCI only**
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

So to follow up on my previous post. Had the Mod IV Tape Delays up on my PCI computer and my Xite-1 computer.
On the Xite Win 7 64 bit: definite stability issues. When it worked it worked fine but saving a patch made from scratch and then reloading it was when the problems occurred. Seems to be when connecting the outputs from the mod shell to an input in the mixer the level meter would sort of half peg and stay and sometimes produce a pop and then no sound but the meter would stay the same level.
Tried various combinations of reloading modules etc but the results were sporadic.
On the PCI side Win 10 32bit: A lot more stable, however my newly created patch did crash my computer one time when I rebooted the computer and loaded the patch. Could not duplicate it the rest of the day so.......I dunno.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

valis wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:01 pmWhatever versions you guys find, if they are not in official Scope packagers I'll discuss how best to make them available to everyone via GaryB if you identify what version(s) you find and which product they support (Scope PCI or Xite).
All I can see is the modify date of the files. And they are both 15 decembre of 2009.
Apparently, there are the same as in the modular IV setup. That's why I'm wondering if there are some newer files somewhere. I remember some files have been released after everyone noticed they crashed computers. But I'm unable to find them or find a thread about that on Z either.

And I don't remember if newer file were module, .sys or .dsp either ! I can find .sys files "tapedelayshort64.sys" & "tapedelay64.sys" modified on 06/06/2011. Anyways, there are the .sys files that are in my Scope folder... And ... Crash...
valis

Post by valis »

GaryB is indicating there may have been new files, so I put the request out to the community at large. No expectations on you specifically =]
astroman

Post by astroman »

I only remember it vaguely (my Win7/64 installation had a very short lifespan), and there were some files sent by Sonic Core as to fix the issue. Tbh I didn't find that module overly convincing, so just forgot about it.

Imho the only (!) convincing tape delay is Celmo's Vintage Delay. It does the noise and filter stuff in a stunningly natural way.
Only 2 taps, but you can add multiple instances for more complex patterns.
With Modular's virtual io-channels it's easy to integrate into a patch.