CZ-101 OSC for "2 Bad Mice" emulation

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

scary808

CZ-101 OSC for "2 Bad Mice" emulation

Post by scary808 »

Any CZ owners here know if there is a good way to replicate the 2 Bad Mice "Bombscare" patch? I think it may have been a factory preset for an organ but I've never laid eyes on one. Any ideas on which CZ OSC and any modifiers?

Thanks!!!
ronnie

Re: CZ-101 OSC for "2 Bad Mice" emulation

Post by ronnie »

I don't know the patch or the preset but... I used to own both the CZ-101 and the CZ-1 and used them quite a bit back in the day programming (a bitch) many great patches. The CZ is a remarkable, versatile and underestimated synth which IMHO gave the Yamaha DX-7 a nice run for the money, with DX like pianos and pads and could do way more with lead patches, etc.

Now I use the Virtual CZ Vst by Oli Larkin which debuted late last year. I think it's a phenomenal Vst and much, much easier to program than the hardware versions besides having hundreds of patches available instead of swapping and saving to cartridges. It can operate in CZ-1 or CZ-101 modes and comes with hundreds of patches (all the original CZ cartridges) plus there are hundreds more out there on the net. It might be easier to find something in those or at least to use as a starting point. There's a demo version (with an annoying noise every 60 seconds) but it might be worth a try before you dive in. (I was sold in about 60 seconds). The full version can do sysex from/to the actual hardware also so you can get the full visual GUI control of your existing patches. It also has a cute replica of the CZ LCD screen that you can change around between the blue or green-yellow back-lights or the grey back-light off modes. If you haven't checked it out, here it is:

Virtual CZ Trial Download

They just had a summer deal on it at 50% off in July with coupon code CZGROUP. I can't tell if it still works because I already have an account there with it in it, but it can't hurt to give it a shot.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I thought the post was about Modular IV, since it has CZ oscillators now.

But I don't know the patch/preset to help.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

ronnie wrote: Now I use the Virtual CZ Vst by Oli Larkin which debuted late last year. I think it's a phenomenal Vst and much, much easier to program than the hardware versions besides having hundreds of patches available instead of swapping and saving to cartridges. It can operate in CZ-1 or CZ-101 modes and comes with hundreds of patches (all the original CZ cartridges) plus there are hundreds more out there on the net. It might be easier to find something in those or at least to use as a starting point. There's a demo version (with an annoying noise every 60 seconds) but it might be worth a try before you dive in. (I was sold in about 60 seconds). The full version can do sysex from/to the actual hardware also so you can get the full visual GUI control of your existing patches. It also has a cute replica of the CZ LCD screen that you can change around between the blue or green-yellow back-lights or the grey back-light off modes. If you haven't checked it out, here it is:

Virtual CZ Trial Download

They just had a summer deal on it at 50% off in July with coupon code CZGROUP. I can't tell if it still works because I already have an account there with it in it, but it can't hurt to give it a shot.
I always fancied a CZ and jumped at it the Virtual CZ when the offer was one as I've heard good things about it from people I respect (like Don Solaris on Gearslutz). So yes I would suggest using the demo, finding the patch in there if it's available and backward engineering, or just use the Virtual CZ.

I have to say I haven't actually used it in a project yet. With so much choice it's difficult to use all these toys. I may try creating a series of tracks where I limit myself to certain synths just so I dig into them a bit deeper (I need to do this with impOSCar2 and Oddity2 as well).