OSCiLLOT

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: OSCiLLOT

Post by garyb »

just for the record, this thread alone was not the reason for my actions.
PlanetZ has always been a helpful place. there's nothing wrong with disagreements or even a little needling, but those things are mostly for the off-topic discussions. PlanetZ needs to stay a place of helpfulness and information. opinions are totally fine but there's no need to get worked up about them. just have your rant and stay friends. it doesn't matter if the other person is someone you would normally get along with, this is public space. get along anyway.

it's just a cooling-off period, to keep the powder from igniting accidentally...
Roland Kuit

Post by Roland Kuit »

garyb wrote:PlanetZ needs to stay a place of helpfulness and information. opinions are totally fine but there's no need to get worked up about them. just have your rant and stay friends. it doesn't matter if the other person is someone you would normally get along with, this is public space. get along anyway.
Well put GaryB.

BEAP - link:
http://github.com/stretta/BEAP

Euromax:
http://mhetrick.com/121800/1219320/soft ... for-maxmsp

All free modular design for MAX/MSP
Avant-electronic composer | synthesis research | lecturer
http://www.rolandkuit.com/
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

So are any of the Soniccore or Creamware products DC coupled ? I know you can use a Creamware A16 for CV but it's not worth all the effort it seems
http://huebnerie.de/blog/?p=163
neuromantik

Post by neuromantik »

Damn that escalated quickly!! Anyhow looking for different modular implementations IMO helps one appreciate SC ModIV more and especially understand more, replacing or substituting is not even an afterthought.. :wink:
dawman

Post by dawman »

Like the new avatar RK...
Roland Kuit

Post by Roland Kuit »

Thanks Dawman :)
Avant-electronic composer | synthesis research | lecturer
http://www.rolandkuit.com/
Riggar

Post by Riggar »

Had issues with my Win7 setup as soon as I'd installed Oscillot. Finally sorted out my problem. There appears to be a ‘clash’ between Ableton(MAX), Oscillot and SONIC CORE software/drivers (5.1 Win7 64 bit) for the Pulsar2 soundcard. It terms of the way it crashes it's MAX that appears to get upset. I decided to remove Pulsar altogether - reinstalled Ableton, MAX and Oscillot and now all appears to work well. I’ll just put the Pulsar on a 2nd PC and run it from there.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

What was the nature of the issues?
What exactly was crashing? And how did the crashing manifest itself? Live crashing out (cause the Max Runtime is part of the Live process) / High CPU issues / Scope crashing?

Also - was it only a problem when Scope was Started? Or was it when Scope wasn't Started?
Or did it matter whether Scope was started or not? And it was some driver clash or other...

Do you use other MaxForLive devices? Do they play nicely with Scope for you?

Thank you... I appreciate any responses... :-)
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Okay! Thanks for the soap-opera. Let me just say I actually like checking out VST's. I don't spend a whole lot of time on it but when I find one I like I'll drop it into my VST folder. I'll get a trial and check it out in Cantible, push it thjrough SCOPE and if I like it I'll wait around for a sale or take advantage of the upgrade price. There are many I did not upgrade because they just didn't cut it and a few free ones that I use a lot. I don't use any of the top-name expensive effects because whatever they do now I've been doing in SCOPE from before even some of them existed. As for instruments I pretty much stick to the ones I've been using: Pianos (Acoustic and Electric) that I can't get out of SCOPE. As far as synths go, SCOPE is the first stop. There are some exceptions but not many. A recent acquisition that I simply had to have is the Digital Sound Factory E-MU Proteus Pak. I have two modules still in the rack, the B-3 and the Proteus FX (which I have not seen in a VST) because I have presets going back to the 90's. With the DSF EMU Pak I got six excellent sounding EMU synths with 128 voice polyphony, licensed by EMU not for just the name but because the Romplers were basically directly copied patch by patch. For $199 (instead of the regular $299) I got like at least $1200 of EMU racks which I never had or bit the dust. I don't care about the effects (which use the most CPU and memory anyway) because I use SCOPE mixers and plugins on a separate 2.8 Ghz, 8GB RAM Window 7 64 machine for mixing and mastering and justifiably so. With 3.5 Ghz and 16GB of RAM on a separate Windows 8 PC I have no problems with the Native stuff. I use both SCOPE and Native stuff according to my musical sensibilities and CPU and DSP resources and it works out pretty well for me. I don't consider myself a great producer or engineer but with SCOPE always in the final user facing chain I can come pretty close IMHO. I find that when you want to get something just right so there's just that undefinable musical pleasure that just seems to nail it, it doesn't matter how you get there. Having said that, you need to know basically which toolbox has the right tools and in my case, for some synths: Groove Agent , Dimension, Lounge-Lizard, and now the unique EMU stuff (fun stuff) some NI Pianos and Organs I go Native. For outboard synths I have a Roland XV5050 and Motif Rack with all the expansion cards and, yup, a KORG DSM-1 (one of the first serial numbers that I pre-ordered new with the entire library of diskettes) and everything goes via ADAT or SPDIF (when possible) through the separate SCOPE box mixers, effects and mastering. Okay, that's my two-cents.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

keep on to that korg dsm-1 new 24 mb upgrade with 32bit processor and resonance added for the filters
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

jhulk wrote:keep on to that korg dsm-1 new 24 mb upgrade with 32bit processor and resonance added for the filters
Huh? I tried searching on Google but all I come up with is:

http://www.straylightengineering.com/ko ... 1-upgrade/

Is that it? Do you know of a timeframe?
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I nominate garyb for sainthood.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

we are working on it

biggest time was decoding the rom os routines

im one of the beta testers and also the only stockist left of the dss1x upgrade
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

jhulk wrote:we are working on it

biggest time was decoding the rom os routines

im one of the beta testers and also the only stockist left of the dss1x upgrade
I'm psyched by this news. Please keep me in the loop! I wish you the best success.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Hi, not sure if you spotted my post above Ripper.. Looking to pick this up myself before long...

jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

If its anything like my DSS-1 upgrade, it'll be more than worth the wait.
Riggar

Post by Riggar »

Eanna
a) What was the nature of the issues?

b) What exactly was crashing? And how did the crashing manifest itself? Live crashing out (cause the Max Runtime is part of the Live process) / High CPU issues / Scope crashing?

c) Also - was it only a problem when Scope was Started? Or was it when Scope wasn't Started? Or did it matter whether Scope was started or not? And it was some driver clash or other...

d) Do you use other MaxForLive devices? Do they play nicely with Scope for you?
Thank you... I appreciate any responses... :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a) As soon as I dragged Oscillot from the Ableton ‘browser’ to a midi track – you get the MAX dialogue box showing MAX starting – then in about 3 seconds a large white dialogue both informing you that there has been a problem and Ableton was closing – which it did. Unable to restart Ableton - the PC always required a re-boot. Apologies I’ve not kept a copy / example of the message.

b) Well appears to be at the point that MAX has been started – though the message says Ableton is closing.

c) In this case is was when Scope was not started. I was at the time running M-Audio 24/96 card. Up to this time I never had any issues running any other MAX device.

d) Yes other MAX devices worked fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note I was keen to get some sort of resolution as I had a LIVE 'Ninjam' the following evening and the Pulsar cards are the main set up. So I didn’t have time to do a huge amount of investigation. I did remove Oscillot, Ableton and MAX and re-installed the lot and exactly the same problem. In the end I moved the Pulsar card to another PC (which also has another M-Audio 24/96 running) and everything there is fine – but that’s Ableton 8 with no MAX.

cheers :)
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Thank you for your response Riggar :-)

AFAIK, the Max Runtime is loaded like a VST in Ableton - it loads the Max Runtime as a DLL into the Live process space - don't think there's a separate process spawned for the Max Runtime - I ought to check that.

Me, on latest Ableton 9.1.7, when some (no real pattern) MaxForLive devices are loaded in the Set, Ableton 'freezes' occasionally. Using ProcessExplorer, I've discovered that Live.exe is spiking to 99-100% CPU for maybe 5-10 seconds at a time, then recovers for maybe a minute or two, until the next freeze. Live itself doesn't crash, and like I say, there's no real pattern to when this event happens, but I believe that MaxForLive devices are the common denominator.

I've cleared out every old/unused ASIO and Midi driver from my system, except my Focusrite Scarlett and Scope drivers, aggressively disabled Windows Services, disabled real-time scanning in Microsoft Security Essentials, disabled Windows Update, did all the other bits that S|C/Garyb recommend for smooth-running Scope, uninstalled and then reinstalled both Live and the Max Runtime, and wrote a little batch script I can run as Administrator that kills other services that I occasionally use (like the Dropbox app and the NVidia Control Panel software), and while it may have alleviated the frequency of occurrence, it still hasn't fully gone away.

One thing I did not do is save the Live Set after the freeze happens. So, I'm not sure if restarting Live would mean that the freezing no longer happens - or if there's something written to the Live Set that would cause the freeze to reoccur when I load the set again. I'm always afraid that I would corrupt my Live Set if a freeze happens - instead, I just exit Live and choose not to save the Set. And yes, this has made me very diligent with CTRL-S when working in Live.

I asked if Scope was up or down when this happened, because my Emulator X3 software sampler running in Standalone mode won't start until Scope is started, and it appears that Max standalone may be the same - when I launch LiquidRhythm standalone (which uses the Max Runtime for ASIO and Midi), it appeared to hang on startup - altho I haven't used LiquidRhythm standalone for quite some time - both LiquidRhythm and the Max runtime has been upgraded since...

I need to look into these bits again myself, try to formulate a more complete picture...

It's more than a little annoyance, but its no quite the crash scenario you're experiencing with Oscillot...

I have recently joined the Ableton Beta forum, there's a 9.2b2 available, with some cool new features - Aftertouch configuration for Push! At last! And a Tuner device :-) And of course, Max 7 will be the official m4l version at some point - altho I'm not sure if it's guaranteed backwards-compatible....

Anyway yeah, I'll post back if/when I get anything more concrete... I expect I'll need to leverage the Beta forums to progress much more tho.

Anyone else using M4L with a Scope system, I'd be interested to hear if you have any issues.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I use Maxforlive, although sparingly. Mostly for sequencing and device control/interfacing. I try to defer audio to Scope Modular.

It is the one thing that takes the longest to launch. Even off an SSD, it doesn't seem to matter to Max boot time.
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

Two years later I found this post - and bought Oscillot on the spot.
It works perfectly with Scope Modular!

First thing I tried was making a simple patch to create a Ramp for Sequencer modules
(Note that LFO Phase is set to -1 (so sequence starts at first step), and Audio output to 0 dB.)

Ramp output is accurate and Scope sequencer is running tightly.
Song tempo can be adjusted ad libitum -> Scope sequencers will follow in sync.
It also has some logic modules, so making reverse patterns (<=inverted Ramp) should be done simply.
Maybe this is the thing how Modular sequences can be easily integrated in a song arrangement...

All in all, Oscillot looks very promising, not only for controlling Scope Modular.