Generating MIDI Clock..?

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

massusen

Generating MIDI Clock..?

Post by massusen »

Hi all,

before I open my wallet and buy myself an ExpertSleepers ES-4 to generate tight and offsettable Midi Clock for my old drummachines, does anyone know a trick or two to do this with the modular? As far as I know, the only thing that generates a Midi Clock is the Midi Clock module, and for some reason none of my external machines accept the clock that it outputs. Won't even start.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

M
jksuperstar

Re: Generating MIDI Clock..?

Post by jksuperstar »

You should 1st get Sharc's amazing, incredible, unbelievably powerful BC Modular module expansion pack for Modular. Good for Modular III and IV.

http://bcmodular.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=161

In there, is a clock generator that he made that includes a Start/Stop etc controls. For most gear, the clock isn't enough, it just sets the tempo. They also need a command to Start, Stop, Continue, Reset, etc.

You can generate as many clocks as you like in various tempos.

Then donate to Sharc :)
massusen

Post by massusen »

Thanks for the tip! Had an older version of BC where this module was not. Haven't spent any time in the Modular lately.

Seems as if there's no info on this particular module. Midi In is pretty selfexplanatory. Sync Source Select Input and Tempo Control Input is not. Looks like it outputs a 120 bpm clock with nothing hooked up to it, hmmm. So to get this to run in a different tempo, and start/stop/continue, I need to sync and bpm it from something else. Any tip on how?

Thanks again for the tip!
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Click the logo to open a window for manual controls. Otherwise the modules are all made for wiring up for modulation or control from one of the midi controller interface modules.
massusen

Post by massusen »

Ok, I see. I assume there is no way of getting access to start and stop from a DAW - timeline or just regular midi hacking. Would have been sweet to be able to start/stop and offset the clock, circumventing the generally bad Midi Clock from Cubase.

Ah well, guess there's no way to avoid it - SilentWay it is.

M
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

You can assign those start/stop signals to MIDI cc, and control those from the daw.
massusen

Post by massusen »

Tried, but I just get an exception "min mod=max mod" and nothing happens. I might be doing something wrong, but I have other buttons automated by the same CC that work, so this should work also.

Have posted on BC's forum.

Once again, thanks jk.

M
massusen

Post by massusen »

For anyone on the lookout for this, sharc did a patch here:

http://www.bcmodular.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 1373#p1373

Enjoy!