Volume key follow

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Volume key follow

Post by JoPo »

Hi.

I'd like to modulate the volume of stereo audio coming inside modular with the keyboard. I know it's about key follow but I don't find a simple way to do this : if I press a low key -> the volume is low and with a high key, it would turn up the volume.

Any advice is welcome ! Thanks !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
jhulk

Re: Volume key follow

Post by jhulk »

keyfollow is usually used for high pitched sounds

in that at the higher notes the keyfollow would attenuate the volume so that higher notes would lower the volume so that the high pitched sounds would be the same perceived loudness as lower notes

either by using a filter or a vca

now your audio you have coming in would need to go to either a filter or vca and a set of envelopes that the mvc could then trigger the envelopes to keyfollow to midi notes

or by aftertouch which can swell the audio
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

also you would need either a keyfollow envelope roy thines has some good ones

or set up some modulation mixers and note info from the mvc
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

key follow is also known as tracking so it would be filter tracking and vca tracking

as is what its called on most synths
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Keyfollow envelope should work...

Midi notes are numbers value increasing by following the keyboard. If there is a module which convert the note value to a modulation signal, it should work with vca. Which module would do that ?
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

go to cwm modular modules and look in the envelope section he has a envelope that responds to note on velocity and tracking most of the creameware filters have tracking
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

My idea is not so easy to do...(at least for me !) I believe I have not found the right module to convert midi notes into modulation value yet.

There is the Wolf miditransformer which does the job (midi notes -> controler or whatever) but it's not a modular module.
sharc

Post by sharc »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question but could you not just use the Note output from an MVC?

You could pass it through a control ranger to adjust Min, Max and Curve for connecting to a Mix Module or convert it to sync and feed a VCA.

key level.zip
(355.11 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks, Sharc !

Is the Async to sync module the midi note to modulation signal module ?

You give me 2 simple solutions ! Merci beaucoup ! And it works perfectly ! It gonna be very useful.
sharc

Post by sharc »

JoPo wrote:Is the Async to sync module the midi note to modulation signal module ?
In this case, yes I suppose you could look at it that way. Like the name suggests it basically takes an async control signal and converts it to a sync control signal.

You could instead connect the note output directly to the VCA 'vol' input but that can get messy if you change your mind with the connections. The reason for this is that it would do the async to sync conversion in the background and in modular this can cause problems. My recommendation would be to avoid this and use the async to sync module when a conversion's needed.

There are of course plenty alternative solutions... :)
key-level2.png
key-level2.png (95.8 KiB) Viewed 3446 times