You all suck.

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

hubird

Re: You all suck.

Post by hubird »

garyb wrote:that way, we can get on with real living, stuff like taking our drugs and drooling in the corner...
you forgot your medicins...? :lol:
garyb

Post by garyb »

no sir.
petal

Post by petal »

garyb wrote:yes, we need software that makes our music for us so we don't need any knowledge or skills at all!
that way, we can get on with real living, stuff like taking our drugs and drooling in the corner...
Rock´n´roll!
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

garyb wrote:yes, we need software that makes our music for us so we don't need any knowledge or skills at all!
that way, we can get on with real living, stuff like taking our drugs and drooling in the corner...
This sounds better and better to me as I get closer to retirement :lol:

G
Marco

Post by Marco »

I only wanted to say, if you have the possibiliy to make everything possible, some people try it out, not finding the way back to there old trace: making music. :lol:
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
dante

Post by dante »

Making music has ALWAYS been technical, well since a few century anyway. You got a guitar ? You know how to re-string and tune it and adjust the action ? Got a piano, know which pedals do what and how to site read ? Go a piccolo and know how to make embechure ? Got a amp/cab rig and know what the knobs do ? Got a computer and know how to use mouse ?

Whats the big difference / deal ? Maybe the degreee of complexity thats all but I bet Steve Via, Eddy Van Halen and Chick Corea spent at least 10 hours a day practicing scales to get the most out of thier craft.

Thats time practising scales, not just solos and 'making music' per se.

I bet they didnt blame their guitar or keyboard coz 5 hours of pentatonic scales were boring :lol: :lol:
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

after trying the first virtual samplers, musician's first impression was "wow, this is amazing, i can see so many things on the computer screen, this is much better, i can see all parameters, the waveform, ecc.", then after switching to DAW musicians said "wow, i can record, loop, edit, split, cut, paste, move, quantize, can write midi notes, ecc. all on the monitor screen, this is a big improvement for my creativity".
Now the new trend is:

"I get confused watching the monitor screen, i can't be productive using the mouse, i'm unable to create music" then the ableton push banner appeared on the screen.

I think people's brain is saturated and creativity depends on it, not on the tools.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yepp That's It in a Nutshell.
I know a guy I collaborate with that plays an ES 335 from the 70s, so it is audible even when not plugged in.
He can write fantastic music and perform like nobodys business, but put him on a PC and he looks like the Caveman beating his PC tower in the old GEICO advertisements.
Never stopped him from performing his music or making a grand a week giggin' the dives.
He won't even use a Pedal. Just an amp stack and 1 Guitar. Even hates Delays the FOH throws on his solos. You can see look up and give the hand movement across the throat sign ( means get that shit off now). :lol:
Marco

Post by Marco »

Very good understanding here, from you all guys! Thanks for this!
I m shure, everybody knows the day, or days, when you started playing your Instrument, and then......fuck a technical Problem disturbed your creative flow. e.g. PC succs, a string on your guitar rips, or you record 20 guitar tracks as exactly as possible for you, and then recording next Instrument, you notice, that you guitar was out of tune.....you can only say: second time I make it better, or Smash it into garbage? In this case I say: ok a good practice for me, but it costs time to re-record.
When you make it to complicted, you have more unexpected Problems terrorizing your work and creativity, and sometimes the lust is gone-you better erase this day from your life calender.

I have tried everything, from very simple untile high complex.
And I found out:
-ALL THE EXTREME IS NOTHING- BUT THE WORST IS WHEN YOU MAKE IT TO COMPLEX FOR YOUR LITTLE BRAIN; EVERYTHING DIES-YOUR LUST; YOUR PROJECT; YOUR MUSIC-

BTW I guess the guy with the Gibson es 355 is laughing to me! He did it best for his way, baking small bread, and nothing but finest taste!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
dante

Post by dante »

So 'creative flow'....let's examine myth vs reality. Making music or even writing lyrics at some point becomes a matter of discipline rather than solely just inspiration.

You should be able to set aside a certain amount of time to work on a song, and make that time productive. If you have to restring a guitar, do it then get on with the song. If your computer is down, get paper and pen and write some lyrics.

Better that than start smashing things...... Discipline ... That is .. Self discipline.
Marco

Post by Marco »

you have never been disturbed? Youre a lucky man :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

how about having a clear idea before deciding that it's time to make music?
:D
dawman

Post by dawman »

In my case I am 24/7 since I do it for a living, and while I can put together an arrangement in minutes, I have trouble as a solo thinker.
I do my best when I collaborate, always have.
So for the guys that do everything alone, and have fresh ideas all of time, hats off.

For example, on my weeks off I program Modular, Solaris go to the gym, play Soccer, get drunk, get laid.....nothing ever changes.
I keep thinking there's more, but I think I peaked a while back, now I am just skating by.

But I wouldn't trade it for all of the Tea In China.... :D
dante

Post by dante »

anabella wrote:you have never been disturbed?
Certainly not by Scopes workflow - Cubase's maybe.

Actually, I find Scope more intuitive to work with than Native DAWS in general come to think of it.
wayne

Post by wayne »

jksuperstar wrote:You all suck.
I blow as well!
Marco

Post by Marco »

Nice to see, that you all have NO problems with technical terror. I should really learn all about your technique. :o

Dante: I was so often terrorized by cubase, until I changed to SAMPLIDUDE. This works quite good for me. But I love the scope software!
dante

Post by dante »

anabella wrote:Nice to see, that you all have NO problems with technical terror. I should really learn all about your technique. :o

I never said that I had no technical problems.

The point is how you deal with them in terms of creative flow. Me, I try to document them and learn from other's solutions :

http://www.hitfoundry.com/tsg/tsg_mast.htm

In effect dealing with these issues is a natural part of my creative flow. Ever read 'Zen and the Art of motorcycle maintenance' ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_and_th ... aintenance
garyb

Post by garyb »

esperience is needed to master complicated tools, but once mastered, they become simple tools...

of course, it's good to improve things where one can improve things, but there's no getting over learning how to use the studio's tools.
hubird

Post by hubird »

dante wrote:In effect dealing with these issues is a natural part of my creative flow. Ever read 'Zen and the Art of motorcycle maintenance' ?
I remember that one :-)
My only 'bike' (any time) was a real one, but I remember trying to execute the lessons I learned from the book while raparing something at my bike on a mountain in the middle of nowhere in South France at 37C :-D
I knew to learn to build up the camperpart of my T3, but the engine I leave that to the real zen masters of the garage :oops:

+1 @Garyb
peksi

Post by peksi »

my flow is very fragile amd it goes out the door the moment i get stuck with something. my solution has been to separate techical sessions from flow sessions. do sound and software tweaking only and do composing in a different time.