You all suck.

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Eanna

Re: You all suck.

Post by Eanna »

peksi wrote:my flow is very fragile amd it goes out the door the moment i get stuck with something. my solution has been to separate techical sessions from flow sessions. do sound and software tweaking only and do composing in a different time.
Agree with this.

My day job involves solving technical and technological screw-ups in diverse computer systems. I enjoy my job...
But I am also an amateur musician. Playing bass in a three-piece, and now also, having a pc-based setup at home that I'm kinda proud of.

So I actively assign left-brain time to solving issues, reading and learning, improving workflows, trying out devices, creating synth presets and multi's, forumlating Ableton racks and Sampler patches, preparing Scope projects, knocking together a loop or sequence, re-stringing my bass, trying a new pedal chain, posting on Planetz...
Then I actively devote right-brain time to creating music, as best I can.

Scope can be a rough diamond sometimes. Especially at the start of having Scope, it didn't exactly conform to PoLA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_ ... tonishment).
But spend enough Left-Brain time with it, and it stops being surprising.

There are very few pearls out there in software..
dawman wrote:I do my best when I collaborate, always have.
So for the guys that do everything alone, and have fresh ideas all of time, hats off.
Again, totally agree.
Main thing I "suck" at when working on my own is finishing anything!! I simply never finish anything when I work on my own!
Doesn't mean I don't enjoy my time. And there's probably some funky psychological reason for my inability to complete stuff. No pressure, no deadline, and nothing happens... ask my wife ;-)

But when I play with the band, we can finish a song from the first couple of chords jammed out to a decent arrangement with hummed/scatted vocal lines in about two hours. Two hours in front of a computer in Right-Brain mode never gets me nearly that close.
I think I need to 'unclutter' my right-brain sessions - cut to the nub of creativity...

Who sucks? I kinda do...
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...