Something about MIDI controller support in BC Modular

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

sharc

Something about MIDI controller support in BC Modular

Post by sharc »

Way back six years ago when I first started work on BC Modular, the original concept was simply to build a MIDI control module for Scope Modular. Because my preferred controller from the two I had at my disposal at the time was a Behringer B-Control, I decided to base the design of this control module on the Behringer. It didn't take long to realize through the process of developing this control module however that the best control could only be achieved by building my own modular modules with connections available to the parameters which would normally be represented by a knob, slider or switch on the module surface. These are after all the parameters you would want to have hands on control of. These are the parameters which you would want to have the ability to fine tune their control ranges and curves. Where possible you may also want to achieve a higher resolution of control over these parameters than regular MIDI CC assignments could provide.

That's how the idea developed from a single control module to a collection of over 400 modular modules. BC Modular is a lot more than was originally intended. It's a concept which has continued to grow and evolve. I can see how certain design elements not to mention my decision to stick with the original name have resulted in a common misconception that BC Modular is all about Behringer Controllers. This isn't the case at all, as most members of the BC Modular forum and no doubt some here on Z have probably figured out by now. The only added benefit of using Behringer B-Control hardware with BC Modular as opposed to another MIDI controller is that the BCM modules have a similar visual style and layout to the B-Control units. Nothing more.

I do understand that having a correlation between what you see on screen and what you see on your MIDI controller is something to be appreciated. It's much more intuitive that way. With this in mind, I've been thinking why should this benefit be limited to Behringer controllers? So, I've decided to start extending the range of MIDI controllers directly supported by BC in the form of control panel modules. This isn't something which will be completed overnight. It will take time, but I think it will be time well spent.

What I'd like to hear from everyone is what MIDI controller you would like to see supported. I've already had a request for Mackie Control support and this is something I'm pursuing.

Please post your requests here on this thread and if possible any information on the controllers whether it be links to user manuals, user forum sites or manufacturers websites. Please however keep in mind that by posting a request you will also be volunteering to test the control panel module. ;)
ShogunSpy

Re: Something about MIDI controller support in BC Modular

Post by ShogunSpy »

Why not build our own! maybe we could all design a livid custom controller for BCM and get a group buy going?
This would be perfect with more knobs on :lol: http://shop.lividinstruments.com/alias-8-white-edition/
http://shop.lividinstruments.com/elements or diy it from scratch http://shop.lividinstruments.com/builde ... red&page=1
sharc

Post by sharc »

ShogunSpy wrote:Why not build our own! maybe we could all design a livid custom controller for BCM and get a group buy going?
Maybe that's worthy of another discussion thread 8)

At the same time though, I wouldn't have a problem with building custom control panel modules.

If any user puts in the time/effort/expense of building or purchasing custom MIDI controller hardware with BC Modular in mind, I'll be more than happy to build a control panel module for them :)
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

we could build a group midibox controller the control pcbs are already available so it boils down what the design would be and how they want it to look

i am happy to design a controller and can get custom made panels made of a minimum order of 10

now there also the keyboard controller that im working on that houses a motherboard and 14" lcd and a doepfer 64 control

a fatar tp8 61 keyboard with aftertouch this can house pci cards or an actual xite

but ithink any generic 14bit cc control module would be fine
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

http://ucapps.de/

this is the latest midi box and has an impressive count of buttons rotary and fader control

and uses the 14bit coontrol
dawman

Post by dawman »

Sharc.......build me one of these MIDIbox SEQ V4s from ucapps for BCModular and I will send the money.
We have spoken to each other for years and I am a good judge of character, so I will send the cash for everything, and you can build it on your own time.
You have built so much out of the love of labor I totally trust your dedication to such stuff, and you know I quit school in 3rd grade because they had recess, and I don't play when it come to money.

Maybe get 6 guys to all buy one of these in a group buy, and get 7 of them.
For your work, you keep one of the ucapp SEQ v4's.....?

I am a moron with Modular and scientific stuff, but I know business, and we have lower TOC and strength in numbers.
Never approach a manufacturer with a single order, give him incentive, lest we buy elsewhere on the island.
sharc

Post by sharc »

dawman wrote:Sharc.......build me one of these MIDIbox SEQ V4s from ucapps for BCModular and I will send the money.
We have spoken to each other for years and I am a good judge of character, so I will send the cash for everything, and you can build it on your own time.
As much as that sounds like a tempting distraction Jimmy, I'm afraid I don't have the time or interest to have more than a design consultant role in any hardware projects at the moment. Obviously I'd be very enthusiastic about discussing custom hardware controllers for BC Modular, but the type of response I'm looking for on this thread is something more along the lines of...

'Sharc, I'd like a BC Modular control panel module to use with my Novation Remote SL controller.'

or 'I have a MIDIbox controller and would like to use it in the same way as you can do with the B-Control and BCM combo. Can you build a control panel for this please?. Here's a photo...'
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I've got a launchpad...much like the monome. I'd be interested in a sequencer for it. Multi-track even. The thing is, they provide a different format of controller compared to knobs and sliders.

And there's the new versions (the LaunchpadS, and a new Launchpad Mini, both are pure midi over usb, and need no driver).

Then there's the new Novation Launch Control, which I think it cheap, and super expandable for this exact type of use.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Sounds good to me Sharc! I got rid of my bc2000 to make room my Ableton push controller which covers a lot more control ground in Live than the bc ever could. I would love to see something for this and wouldn't mind putting in some max for live time to tie things together. *Warning I'm not in any way saying im a shit hot max dev :lol:
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

jimmy it was me who said about a group midibox controller

the seqv4 is nice if you want sequencing involved with out using sequencers in modular

as the seqv4 uses 1 core for a multi controller on the side you would need 2 cores 1 for the seqv4 and one for the

midi controller but you would have a knob box and sequencer combined

sharc as we already talked about it the korg joystic module left and right pitch and up vibrato and down filter cuttoff

or control zer0 for pitch and cc 1 and cc2

korg pad control would be a good one todo as it has 16 pads and a x/y pad be great for a drum trigger and vector control

and any of the latest novation controllers
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

One of the major benefits to your work Sharc is to allow 14-bit midi streams be passed into Modular.
I too have Ableton Push, and an Akai LPD8. But these will only ever do 7-bit CC.
(LPD8 is quite nice btw, and Push with Max4Live or Ableton Remote Scripts could be a powerful solution - indeed, Max might be a good idea for a BC client?).

If you were considering a small, neat controller built on midibox tech, I think it's important that it would support 14-bit Midi control - cause there really doesn't seem to be many Midi controllers that support it - Behringer BCR and BCF, Novation's SL series (think only the top row of encoders do 14 bit?), and beyond that, I'm struggling to find others... Afaik, not even the Livid controllers support 14-bit (?)
A 14-bit Midibox controller would definitely interest me too.

Anyone know of other 14-bit / NRPN capable controllers out there? Maybe a group-buy of an existing controller makes sense too?
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

the latest core sends 14bit cc and nrpn

and why i said it would be a good controller

with 2 64 modules you can have 128 slider pots

and it also has button press modules

lcd screens

and cv gate out modules so you could control external modules by bc modular modules

i need ideas for the look and trhe scope of the module and then could get sharc to create a mdl file to support it

as thats what sharc wants to do is create the dsp bc mdl for bc modular for different midi controllers

the good thing is if we make it to a bc modular design then all bc modular users would benefit as these midibox modules are non profit and can not be sold commercially it would be a group buy and the panel would be designed and be a group buy
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

If you're gonna go custom, I'd almost wait to see when Scope 6 arrives, since CopperLAN will be supported natively. That would solve a lot of MIDI issues, and even allow auto-mapping on some level (since control mechanisms are known).

Just sayin'.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

the latest core does osc and the midi over lan
sharc

Post by sharc »

jksuperstar wrote:I've got a launchpad...much like the monome. I'd be interested in a sequencer for it. Multi-track even. The thing is, they provide a different format of controller compared to knobs and sliders.
I think the sequencer modules would possibly be best kept separate from the control panel, but I could definitely cover something like this. Having had a quick look at the documentation, I would guess that the scalable control arrays like you find on the BCM buttons might be best suited to this type of control
jksuperstar wrote:Then there's the new Novation Launch Control, which I think it cheap, and super expandable for this exact type of use.
I downloaded the editor for this. Really simple and straightforward controller at a reasonable price.
sharc

Post by sharc »

irrelevance wrote:Sounds good to me Sharc! I got rid of my bc2000 to make room my Ableton push controller which covers a lot more control ground in Live than the bc ever could. I would love to see something for this and wouldn't mind putting in some max for live time to tie things together. *Warning I'm not in any way saying im a shit hot max dev :lol:
I think certainly in Live an M4L plugin could be a lot more capable than the VST Ctrlr panel. We could maybe take a look at an M4L OSC implementation at the same time. Thanks for the offer to help with this. I'll be in touch :)
sharc

Post by sharc »

jhulk wrote:korg pad control would be a good one todo as it has 16 pads and a x/y pad be great for a drum trigger and vector control
Good shout. If anyone has a Korg Pad Control, please let me know.
sharc

Post by sharc »

Eanna wrote:I too have Ableton Push
Looks like the Push is has just steamed into the lead :)
Eanna wrote:...and an Akai LPD8. But these will only ever do 7-bit CC.
Another nice cheap controller though. I'll add it to the list.
Eanna wrote:If you were considering a small, neat controller built on midibox tech, I think it's important that it would support 14-bit Midi control
Agreed.
Eanna wrote:Anyone know of other 14-bit / NRPN capable controllers out there?
There are a number of controllers which are capable (old favorites of mine like the Peavey PC1600 and Kenton Control Freak for instance) but the AD convertors aren't able to deliver the actual 14-bit resolution. Even the faders on the Behringer BCF (10-bit IIRC) fall into this category.

Basically anything with digital rotary encoders which supports 14-bit CC's / HUI should be able to deliver the full 14-bit (0-16383) value range.
Last edited by sharc on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
sharc

Post by sharc »

jksuperstar wrote:If you're gonna go custom, I'd almost wait to see when Scope 6 arrives, since CopperLAN will be supported natively. That would solve a lot of MIDI issues, and even allow auto-mapping on some level (since control mechanisms are known).

Just sayin'.
Fair point. The same thought crossed my mind just over a year ago when I started to pick up where I left off on BC. Maybe half the work I've put into BC since then could be made redundant by Scope6. Maybe not. We'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, I'm just focusing on what I'm able to do here and now. Que sera sera :)
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

But it'll be here SOON!!

:D