Something about MIDI controller support in BC Modular

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

jhulk

Re: Something about MIDI controller support in BC Modular

Post by jhulk »

i do simon so can test i use it with the asr10 for drum triggers and the vector x/y pad to do vector mixing as you can change the cc to what you want for synths that have fixed cc controllers
sharc

Post by sharc »

jhulk wrote:i do simon so can test i use it with the asr10 for drum triggers and the vector x/y pad to do vector mixing as you can change the cc to what you want for synths that have fixed cc controllers
Excellent!! Korg padKONTROL is now added it to the list. I've just downloaded the editor and manual so I'll have a look at those and will be in touch :)

I've been having a think about pads in general. They could be sending gate and control values and/or directly triggering samples. When combined with BCM encoder & button functionality this could be really interesting :D
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Sweet, my Arturia SparkLE will work just fine with that :)
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

my quasimidi cyber 6

has 2 mod wheels 3 rotary controls and 8 track sequencer and 2 motivators these can be any thing from gate sequencers to chord gaters or wave-sequencing and it has 2 midi ports and can kick out 32 midi channels for these special arps so that you can assign 32 different sounds for long evolving wave sequences or poly rhythmic arps
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

I'm a programmer so I would be willing to wade in with testing and learning max stuff if that's of any benefit?
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
sharc

Post by sharc »

Eanna wrote:I'm a programmer so I would be willing to wade in with testing and learning max stuff if that's of any benefit?
Yes, of course. I'll be in touch :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

I will go and buy another PAD Kontroller then.
They fit perfectly on left or right of an 88 note controller, using a little velcroe for angular use.
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

My vote is for Ableton Push ! Just got one :) And will use the BCR-2000 along with it! Lets see what happens with Scope 6 !
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I was just thinking modularly..many midi controllers. These days have 1x8 buttons, 8 pads, 8 faders, 8 knobs, 8 LEDs (#maybe even tricolor)...you have a lot of the building blocks already..maybe a transport Controller, pads, etc.

I have soft step, which can also be most of those too.
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Possibly a little niche, but my main controller keyboard is a PCR800 (http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/865). At least it shares the same control setup as the PCR500 and PCR300 :)
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

jksuperstar wrote:I was just thinking modularly..many midi controllers. These days have 1x8 buttons, 8 pads, 8 faders, 8 knobs, 8 LEDs (#maybe even tricolor)...you have a lot of the building blocks already..maybe a transport Controller, pads, etc..
I second that! It's a great idea I think.
- Midi In / Midi over USB In, and a 7-bit/14-bit switch, for each module.
- A set of these modules: 8 pads/8 buttons/8 encoders/8 faders, one XY surface, one 4x4 (for the Pad Kontrol / MPD crew), one 8x8 (for the Launchpad/Push crew)
- Each midi-controllable controller assignable CC or NRPN id
- Each controller wired for cv/gate out (as appropriate to the module).
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

w_ellis wrote:Possibly a little niche, but my main controller keyboard is a PCR800 (http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/865). At least it shares the same control setup as the PCR500 and PCR300 :)

PCR300 here plus JL Cooper FaderMaster Pro ...
Kurzweil PC361 w/ sliders, buttons and 16 zones,- freely configurable.

All 3 are MIDI CC based IIRC.

I had no probs controlling SCOPE synths w/ KURZ PC3 using MIDI learn in SCOPE,- but I´d say all will be better once we have SCOPE 6 and MIDI CC assignments will be memorized per device but for the complete project housing the devices and will be recalled automaticly once a project is loaded.

Bud
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Bud Weiser wrote:SCOPE 6 and MIDI CC assignments will be memorized per device but for the complete project housing
I didn't realise that this was the case.
I still like the idea of mappable modules. It's a solution for Modular patches for pre-Scope 6. I have no clue what it might take to implement it... to be honest, it could well exist already - I'm a total Modular Noob.
sharc

Post by sharc »

jksuperstar wrote:I was just thinking modularly..many midi controllers. These days have 1x8 buttons, 8 pads, 8 faders, 8 knobs, 8 LEDs (#maybe even tricolor)...you have a lot of the building blocks already..maybe a transport Controller, pads, etc.

I have soft step, which can also be most of those too.
I don't have a problem with this type of solution and I've already started making some control panels with a more generic look. The good news for me with your suggestion is that the smaller panels with less controls are the quickest to build. Like you say, the BCM modules are already taking the modular approach where you can pick and choose which combination of modules suit the needs of your patch. This is definitely more flexible.

At the same time, I've also had a number of requests for bigger BCM modules which cover all available controls of each B-Control on a single panel. I can understand the need for this as well. Some people don't like to have lots of panels to open and close. They want a solution which presents everything as clearly as possible at once. The less configuration required the better.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

I understand, thank you for clarifying the intent.
sharc

Post by sharc »

Eanna wrote:Midi over USB In
That old chestnut. Something I've requested a number of times both here on Z and to CW/SC. Rest assured if I could build it myself I'd have done so already.

It looks as though CopperLAN in Scope6 will offer enough to negate this issue. It already does I suppose if you choose to use that as your external routing solution.
Eanna wrote:and a 7-bit/14-bit switch, for each module.
Getting BC Modular to respond to 14-bit CC's isn't a problem. Getting it to send them out reliably from panel controls has been.

I'm working on Mackie HUI support at the moment and through this Ive found a solution. It does have a couple of drawbacks though (fixed assignments and uses more resources) so it might be better kept separate.
Eanna wrote:- Each midi-controllable controller assignable CC or NRPN id
The old BC Modular had NRPN support. It only worked for controlling one parameter at a time due to crosstalk problems. That's why it hasn't returned yet in the recent updates.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I've got a prototype working (USB->MIDI with no PC). But it's more a DIY thing at the moment. I haven't checked it for latency yet, nor how well it works with various SYSEX messages.

Maybe I'd do a kickstart campaign and take it to production if there was interest and the planets aligned properly during a full moon. But, we also just had a 500-year flood here, so anything can happen.
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

There are also the new MIDI/USB-Interfaces from iConnectivity that might be interesting.
Not sure though if they fit your needs.
As far as I know they don't need a computer to be connected to them (talking about the iConnectMIDI2+ and iConnectMIDI4+ here).

http://www.iconnectivity.com/
sharc

Post by sharc »

jksuperstar wrote:
I've got a prototype working (USB->MIDI with no PC). But it's more a DIY thing at the moment. I haven't checked it for latency yet, nor how well it works with various SYSEX messages.

Maybe I'd do a kickstart campaign and take it to production if there was interest and the planets aligned properly during a full moon. But, we also just had a 500-year flood here, so anything can happen.
I'm not sure that's what Eanna was getting at. It does sound like an interesting project though.
sunmachine wrote:There are also the new MIDI/USB-Interfaces from iConnectivity that might be interesting.
Not sure though if they fit your needs.
Again, those do interest me, but mainly from an iOS perspective.

Look at it this way - Let's say you've got an XITE-1 with it's single MIDI input. You've got a MIDI keyboard, a couple of MIDI controller units (with USB connection) and maybe a couple of 8x8 USB MIDI interfaces. In this situation the MIDI keyboard is then the only piece of MIDI hardware in your studio which can communicate directly with the XITE. Sure, you can route the rest to the XITE software MIDI io's through a 3rd party piece of software, but when every other piece of software in your computer which deals with MIDI can see all available MIDI IOs why can't Scope?.

Ive asked this question many times in the past. Usually, it's met with the response - 'but Scope isn't software it's hardware'. I'm sorry, but to me that's just an excuse. Scope can communicate with whatever software and hardware in your computer that it's programmed to. Hopefully Scope6 with CopperLAN will finally deal with this issue. I giess we'll just have to wait and see.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I agree with you. More MIDI ports would've been a good thing on XITE, SCOPE talking directly to hardware without the need for loopback drivers and such would also be good.

My little project was actually so I can use a USB only device (novation keyboard) with synths or into scope directly, as I was getting shitty latency going through the computer (via DAW or loopback). Fine for control, bad for drum pads and such. And horrible for MIDI clocks. I have found that from midi port into a DAW: the XITE's MIDI latency and jitter is the best out of any device I've ever owned, and I know it's due to the fact that MIDI buffers track audio buffers for a given device, so you can end up with several milliseconds of delay from your device. And I also find it's even better if you use the hardware port and then route directly to a device inside SCOPE

The iConnect2+ and 4+ can do that (not just iOS devices, but also USB Only keyboards can be routed directly to a MIDI port without going into a computer anywhere, or directly to a network).