Playing the Terrain

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Tau

Playing the Terrain

Post by Tau »

So just yesterday I found out a way to play the Terrain Oscillator Modules in ModIV… I had already tried a few times to make something out of them, but couldn't get my head around them… I don't know how many of you have figured it out already, but here's to those who didn't:

Terrain Osc Modules don't have freq inputs or any tuning settings, just a couple of inputs for "X" and "Y", each with knobs that control Gain and Offset. You can't get them to output any sound unless you are moving these knobs, so, an LFO seems to be the obvious choice to connect to the X and Y inputs. When you do that, the frequency of the LFO defines the pitch of the oscillator, and different waveforms define the timbre of the oscillator. So, to be able to "play" these oscillators, you have to "play" the LFO.

By sending the MVC's Freq and Gate Outs to the Freq and Gate inputs of the LFO, then setting it to External (Ext) Frequency and to Retrigger, each key press will trigger an LFO with a frequency that corresponds to the note. When this is sent to the Terrain Osc X and/or Y input(s), it will make it sound that note.

If you check the screenshot, you can see this in different ways: OSC A has two LFO's, one for X and one for Y, but their frequencies are the same (taken from MVC)- btw, choosing different waveforms causes changes in the timbre of the Oscillator, but not in pitch. All regular Waveforms produce a steady pitch, only the S&H one will produce a more chaotic result. OSC B has a single LFO for X and Y, also from the MVC, but, by using the freqMult module, you can tune in in relation to OSC A. In this case, a value of 0.5 makes it play an octave lower, while 2 would make it play an octave higher and so on…

Play around with the settings for X and Y and hear the differences in sound (shame there's no Mod input for these), and also with the waveforms. I'm using the "Terrain Select" Module, as it allows you to choose between the 5 different algorithms that are also available as the individual Terrain Osc modules. Once you find the algo you like, using the single "terrain" modules should save up a few cycles.

I'm enjoying the sound of these oscillators, they can be extremely soft and creamy, with very subtle changes in harmonic content when you play with the X and Y knobs.

Another trick I learnt yesterday, by mistake, is to connect the EG output to the KeyF input of the filter, then setting it to max (think it's 200). With long release times, and high resonance values, you get a really nice stepped filter sweep :)
Attachments
terrain 1.PNG
terrain 1.PNG (282.89 KiB) Viewed 3488 times
jksuperstar

Re: Playing the Terrain

Post by jksuperstar »

I tried an audio signal into the X :) It makes for a great waveshaper, that can be modulated with a slow LFO into the Y!

(now that I think of it, stereo signals into X&Y might be trippy)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks for the post Tau.
I will start messing with this right away.
I have been checking out Roland K. and RoyTs Terrain stuff and this is even different
from their examples, so collaboration once again reigns supreme.

Muito Obrigado.. :)
Tau

Post by Tau »

You're very welcome, Jimmy... One thing is certain, Scope is never boring, and the lack of a detailed manual for the modules makes for some interesting evenings ;) Scope is one of the few remaining pieces of software where mistakes can be very rewarding.

And, as JK said, this is a module that can be used for many different things, in many different ways... Good thing we have the "Z" :)

Cheers, amigos!

T
Roland Kuit

Post by Roland Kuit »

Hi Tau,

Thanks.
Did you know you can make a weird kind of sync with this terrain module?
I will post a pch later.
Avant-electronic composer | synthesis research | lecturer
http://www.rolandkuit.com/
dawman

Post by dawman »

Oh Please do so.
I am adding Freq Multipliers to each LFO to get FM type of sounds.
Choosing Random on one of the 4 x LFOs I decided to use in a patch gives me the exact sound that the Digital Noise Module gets, which sounds great mixed with the FM stuff.
But Sync should take these modules into another realm all together.

Ankyu
Tau

Post by Tau »

Looking forward to it ;)
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

well, but why LFO and not just an osc into the X? same thing really no?
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yes but the LFO uses less DSP, but an Oscillator like Waldorf is a game changer, or Sharcs sick ass ADDar Oscillators or 16 Sine Wave Oscillators. RoyT has some crazier stuff too.
Wave Draw is another good one.
Also running the Osc into the LFO then Terrain is acid city.
4 way window payne into the eye... :o
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

nice gotta try that
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/