Mono/Polyphonic Guitar Synth

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Eanna

Mono/Polyphonic Guitar Synth

Post by Eanna »

Hi, I'm aware of the Pitch2CV module in Flexor.
I don't yet own Flexor.

Have folk had success with this module with a Bass Guitar? A regular Guitar?
Do you need to 'clean up' the signal for better tracking? A Low-pass filter to filter out high-order harmonics, a compressor for managing the dynamics, a gate to help false triggers, ...
Does it detect pitch quickly? How about bass notes? Any benefit in using an octaver before the pitch detection to speed up the pitch detection process, or does an octaver suffer the same latency fate?

Has anyone compared it with similar technologies in the VST world? There are a few pitch-to-midi VST plugins out there... And similarly, guitar synths like those from Roland and Axon, or the Graphtech Ghost system? There is also the Fishman Triple Play system which will be available for purchase soon - lotta hype about that on the Yahoo MidiGuitar group...

If the implementation of the technology is good, then I may invest in a Hexaphonic Pickup with a Breakout Box, to send audio per string into Scope. Something like this:
http://www.ubertar.com/hexaphonic/products.html
Very impressive results with string separation:
http://www.ubertar.com/hexaphonic/crosstalk.gif

Layer an overdriven guitar sound with a Polyphonic synth patch? Potentially a different patch per String? I think so!

I've seen mention that Wolf's Midi Toolbox provides a solution for sending Midi Notes out of Modular. Is there any other way to perform a CV/Gate to Midi Note translation, so I can route Midi out of Modular, and record it in my DAW, or send it in real time to a Synth?

Does the Midi look 'clean'? I.e. much retouching to the Midi as recorded in your Sequencer? I know of Midi Gates and Midi Compressors and such tools that help clean up Midi - if the Midi was a bit crappy, did anyone try these tools to clean things up?

There's a few hits on planetz for pitch2cv, but its never properly been discussed with respect to guitar synthesis or to modern competing technologies.

Just investigating the tech at this point, but if anyone has had experiences with this, I'm all ears...

Thank you!
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...