Getting Voice Number as Control Value?

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

jksuperstar

Getting Voice Number as Control Value?

Post by jksuperstar »

I'd like to have a mux/switch select a different audio signal based on the voice number or midi channel the note came in on.

is this possible?

Thus, for each new note, a different audio source would be selected for a polyphonic patch.

My idea is to take the 6 outputs from a Roland GK-3b (Hex/MIDI Pickup), and use them as inputs to a modular synth. Of course, I'd like to edit the synth as a single synth with multiple voices, not 6 instances of the same synth to have 1 on each string. I'd like each string to be an oscillator in 1 of 6 voices. Any ideas?
dawman

Re: Getting Voice Number as Control Value?

Post by dawman »

No sure what you want as I am lame with Modular, but here's a Modular PrgmChange Patch using notes to send the CC's.
Then a realtime MIDI Router also uses program changes.
YOu might not have seem these mofules before and maybe they can help.
MIDI ROUTER AND KEYSWITCHED PROGRAM CHANGERS.rar
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

No, I'm not looking to really change anything dynamically (ie - use midi or program change to change the settings on a mixer or switch).

Let me try to re-state: I'd like to make a 6 voice polyphonic synth in modular. And I'd like to have 6 audio inputs into that synth. However, I'd only use 1 audio input per voice.

Maybe I also need to understand the Modular a bit more in polyphonic mode...how is voice handling done? is it static (so an oscillator is always running in the background, and just gated by an envelope or VCA for example, just like a real analog synth would be), or does it try to do dynamic voice allocation (this doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since I don't know what processor power it would save).
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

if your GK-3b is capable of sending each string of your bass on a different midi channel, then it's easy to do it.
Add a midi channel filter for each oscillator.
I attached a modular example with oscillator, the saw on midi channel 1 and the sine on midi channel 2.

If this is not what you meant, you should be more detailed on your aim.

midifiltering.zip
(450.82 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

The pickup itself is just analog signals. I can use an external converter to change that to MIDI. And even send each string on a separate MIDI channel. But, there's a delay in the conversion, sometimes a very noticeable delay.

However, I'd like to process the analog sounds of individual strings of the instrument, so there's no latency. Much like the Roland GR-300 did, or the Roland VG-99 does. But use the SCOPE Modular instead.

The real issue is editing parameters. With a polyphonic synth, when you change the detune of an oscillator, you turn one knob and it happens for every voice. 1knob, no matter if you have 2 voices, or 32 voices. You don't have to change the value for each & every voice. So, I'd like to be able to operate on 6 audio inputs, but treat each input as a voice in a polyphonic instrument.
dante

Post by dante »

Well, if you want to process the audio output of your controller without any MIDI conversion whatsoever (and therefore no delay), then SilentWays could be an option.

But to do polyphonic silentways, I think you would need to duplicate the whole synth component curcuit 6 times, so therefore there would need to be a way of 'linking' the same value for a given parameter across all 6 if you didnt want to tweak 6 knobs. Jimmy could clarify as he has setup polysilentway modular.
Last edited by dante on Thu May 31, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

in my opinion, the simplest thing to do is not to use the scope voice management, because it's an overall setting for the whole modular device and the only control you have inside the modular shell is to set separately the modules to polyphonic or single voice by right clicking on them.

If you want to process separately 6 audio inputs, just repeat the circuit for every input inside the same modular shell, then it's not clear, if you want to use your bass for generating midi events or if you want to process the audio and use the modular as audio effect, or both midi and audio processing.

If your goal is an audio processor, you don't need to set the modular as polyphonic, just do a separate circuit for each audio input.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Thanks djmicron, that is what I am doing now.

To simplify editing, I guess I can find more modules that allow patching instead of knobs as control. Or I will use the devices like Spacef's that convert 1 midi CC to several CCs, and get the same ability to turn 1 knob, and edit all of the audio chains.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I'm from the Assaf Dar school where using several patches is better than massive towers.
In your case I am not sure what you are after, but for Syncing LFO rates, here's a patch where MIDI CC #5 ( can be changed to your liking ) is controlling all of the LFO rates simulataneously. Each Patch would represent the Strings of a Guitar or 6 String Bass.
SYNC'd LFO's.rar
Untitled.png
Untitled 1.png
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Shit, Jimmy, you rock ;)