Modular as an effects processor vs. Eventide top unit?

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

paugui

Modular as an effects processor vs. Eventide top unit?

Post by paugui »

I got a 6 DSP card a while ago that I'm quite anxious to try when I get home :)

One of the things I feel would be better to add to my setup would a top multi-effects unit, especially an Eventide (Orville or an H8000).

Unfortunately it's a bit too expensive for me to buy one, but since I remember I've read the effects in the Scope are quite good, I was wondering if using the Modular, it should be possible to create nice multi-effects similar in quality and spectacularity to one of those Eventides in the Modular.

What's your opinion?

Thanks

Paulo
siriusbliss

Re: Modular as an effects processor vs. Eventide top unit?

Post by siriusbliss »

If you play around with sequencing delays and modulation, phasing, flanging, then you can come up with some great stuff in Modular.
The only issue is that the 6 DSP may not give you enough horsepower to get lots of verbs/delays/effects stacked up.

But using both together is awesome! :wink:

Greg
garyb

Post by garyb »

if you're using the Eventide as a harmonizer, then Scope won't replace it. for delays, reverbs and modulation effects, it might...
paugui

Post by paugui »

How many DSPs should I have for that kind of task?

I bought this one to try, as it wasn't too expensive, but if I like it, I definitely see myself buying some more boards, if I'm short on DSP power.

By the way, how much are they going for in Europe?
I gave 100 euros for mine, but it's probably under the current price...

I am really interested in creating good effects for ambient music.
I don't think the Harmonizer is too important, it's more about a good set of effects to come up with something different and spectacular ;)

Something like this would be quite nice - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip4aap5cu1c
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Hi, from what I've heard of the video I would say yes you can do the most things in modular too.
Eventide is special and you won't reach everything Eventides are come up with but modular is special too and you will come up with other great things. Modulated / sequenced SSB delays are fine for example.
The key would be modulating the effects you build and thats not a problem.

At the moment I build some effects in modular too, just for an experiment, I try to give them a GUI with a VST plug in that controls the modular effects via CCs.
Sometimes, when the modulars get to big it is a bit hard to stay focused.
Start with your 6DSPs, you can do much in modular with few DSPs as you can set all modules to a monophonic mode, enough for an effect.

The price you paid is fine, good catch.

Enjoy modular and keep us in touch!
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

paugui wrote:How many DSPs should I have for that kind of task?

I bought this one to try, as it wasn't too expensive, but if I like it, I definitely see myself buying some more boards, if I'm short on DSP power.

By the way, how much are they going for in Europe?
I gave 100 euros for mine, but it's probably under the current price...

I am really interested in creating good effects for ambient music.
I don't think the Harmonizer is too important, it's more about a good set of effects to come up with something different and spectacular ;)

Something like this would be quite nice - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip4aap5cu1c
From what I see in the video, you should be fine layering in some delays and offset-sync. delays to get this type of effect, since it was relatively light-weight in comparison to the big long reverbs and sequenced tap-delays that the big Eventide's have - which would require more DSP.

I also use the Time and Pitchfactors for live guitar, and then leave modular for use with the Scope synths, etc.

Greg
dawman

Post by dawman »

Hey Chris just make sure to have glowing Tubes on the VSTi's GUI.
Ankyu
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Hey Chris just make sure to have glowing Tubes on the VSTi's GUI.
Ankyu
Definitely not, I won't sell it.
paugui

Post by paugui »

Since low amount of DSP was mentioned as a possible problem... would 16 DSPs be much better?
I can buy a card with 4 DSP plus an expansion one with 6 DSPs, but I'm not sure if I should, as I won't be able to expand it with more cards (3 is the maximum amount of cards possible, right?).

If that would be a good amount, I probably should try to get it, as it would kill my GAS for more Creamware gear for the next times :P

But since the Professional one has 14 DSPs and I see lots of people having more than one, I'm not sure if I should try to get those 2 extra boards...

Thanks in advance

Paulo
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

paugui wrote:Since low amount of DSP was mentioned as a possible problem... would 16 DSPs be much better?
I can buy a card with 4 DSP plus an expansion one with 6 DSPs, but I'm not sure if I should, as I won't be able to expand it with more cards (3 is the maximum amount of cards possible, right?).

If that would be a good amount, I probably should try to get it, as it would kill my GAS for more Creamware gear for the next times :P

But since the Professional one has 14 DSPs and I see lots of people having more than one, I'm not sure if I should try to get those 2 extra boards...

Thanks in advance

Paulo
More DSP's is always better.

Greg
paugui

Post by paugui »

siriusbliss wrote:
paugui wrote:Since low amount of DSP was mentioned as a possible problem... would 16 DSPs be much better?

Thanks in advance

Paulo

Greg
Sure, that I know :P
But what I meant is... Is 16 DSPs a reasonable amount of DSP, or will I easily fell like I need more DSPs?

Cause if I get those boards and I feel frequently like that, I will need to sell some of them in order to expand my system, which is something I'd like to avoid...

I have quite a nice hardware setup (including a Creamware Noah EX Final Edition, so I have access to Creamware synths with this one too), so I don't think I'll be using Scope alone, but it would be cool to have a nice amount of DSPs to create nice synths and effects without feeling frequently that I could come up with something much cooler if I had one more DSP...
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

paugui wrote:
siriusbliss wrote:

Thanks in advance

Paulo

Greg
Sure, that I know :P
But what I meant is... Is 16 DSPs a reasonable amount of DSP, or will I easily fell like I need more DSPs?

Cause if I get those boards and I feel frequently like that, I will need to sell some of them in order to expand my system, which is something I'd like to avoid...

I have quite a nice hardware setup (including a Creamware Noah EX Final Edition, so I have access to Creamware synths with this one too), so I don't think I'll be using Scope alone, but it would be cool to have a nice amount of DSPs to create nice synths and effects without feeling frequently that I could come up with something much cooler if I had one more DSP...
If your main implementation is using the card for dedicated modular/effects, then you should have plenty of headroom.

It just depends on how many effects are being staged, etc. in order to get closer to what Eventide is doing.

Of course, with the Xite we're getting up towards the Eventide, Lexicon type horsepower (IMO), so it's relative on how you plug things together.

Greg
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Its a reasonable concern. Myself, i have 4 cards (2x3dsp, 1x4dsp and one 6dsp). My set-up though is 9 dsp (6+3).

In practice, this is a bit limiting dsp-wise. I can still make/use some nice modular patches, but i need to record a lot of takes instead of using several patches simultaneously (bear in mind that i also use scope effects). Its not a show-stopper, i am pretty happy with it but i really do wish for at least a 14dsp card.

The reason i am not using the 4dsp card, and this is sort of important, is that it is 1st generation card (all 4dsp cards are 1st gen). This introduces a lot of uncertainties when it comes to data throughput ( i guess some will argue this but trust me; avoid it) and is not worth the (i guess) 50-100$ price difference to a proper 6dsp card, especially when considering using it along with 2 6dsp cards. If i am to buy another PCI card i will definetly go for a 14/15 dsp card (unless i win the lottery, ill go xite then).

My advice will be to first get the 6dsp card if you dont have it allready and see if you like the system. If you like it, go 14dsp if you can afford it. if not, buy 2 more 6dsp cards.

It will save you a lot of hassle to avoid 1st gen cards, so be aware that there is another culprit: all 14dsp cards are 2nd gen, but some 15dsp cards are 1st gen. Make sure you get the right one.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
paugui

Post by paugui »

Ok, I wasn't aware of that...

The 6 DSP card is only a DSP expansion, I'm not sure if it has any connections...
Are those first generation cards too?

By the way, what's the current price of a 14 DSP card?

And if I have different cards linked together, can I use the inputs and outputs of each of them, or can I only use one the inputs and outputs of only one card?
next to nothing

Hi again,

the 6dsp booster card is a 2nd generation card for sure, and as you say it has no ins/outs. It is basically ment to a DSP expansion for an existing setup, or to be run in the so-called XTC mode (a sort of VST integration).

If you add more cards you can use whatever ins/outs on whatever cards you have, and from multiple cards simultaniously.

For prices, i recommend you to have a look in the purchasing part of the forum, i see they go for anything between $500-1000. I don't know where you are from, but at least here in norway 6dsp cards turn up now and then in local second hand internet stores at between $200-400 (varies alot), bigger cards more seldom.

Dont get me wrong, if you have 12dsp at 3-400 bucks you have a nice entry level system which provides a nice working enviroment with a lot of possibilities at a fair price. If youhave more to spend, go 14/15dsp.

Good luck:)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
paugui

Post by paugui »

I haven't noticed you're from Norway :P
I'm studying in Oslo at the moment (was in Bergen last week).

But I have my setup based in Portugal, where I'm from.

I think I'll probably try to get that set of cards, as I wasn't thinking of spending too much at the moment (I still want a Kyma system too... but will likely have to settle for a really old one just to try it...).
If I see that the first generation one is destroying things a bit, I'll just sell it and try to get a 14DSP card, as I guess 26DSP would be powerful enough, no?
next to nothing

Hello Oslo :)

I am a bit confused as to what cards you are planning to buy, am i right in thinking allready have a 6dsp booster card, and you are planning on getting one more booster card plus a 4dsp card with ins/outs? If you are mixing 1st and 2nd gen cards i would recommend you to have a 2nd gen card as the "master" card handling the main ins/outs...

Just for information, I see there is a guy selling a pulsar 2 (6dsp) card at 1500 NOK (the ad has been out for quite some time so price is probably negotiable :) Its not me though, even if he is based in Bergen :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

I love my XITE-1, but the thing I miss the most was having 48 MIDI Channels from using 3 x DSP cards.
One had Classic, one was AES/EBU Plus, then the 3 x ADAT card which was kind of rare.
I sure hope S|C gets around to making breakout boxes, but if not, find a way for me to use the XBox w/these PCI cards.
My motherboard looks barren.......
paugui

Post by paugui »

If I could afford one, I'd definitely try the XITE-1 (and I'd also get some Pacaranas to have a cool Kyma system too), but since I don't have too much to spend on music equipment, I guess I'll really have to settle for the cards...

By the way, the Luna II is the 3DSP card, right?
It runs SCOPE too and comes with some software, no?
I might go for one of those just to expand my system a bit for now, until I can find a 14DSP system with all (or almost all) 4.5 software included...
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, the Luna is a 3dsp card and it comes with software.