Physical Modeling using the Modular?

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

paugui

Physical Modeling using the Modular?

Post by paugui »

Hi

I got a Creamware Scope recently but unfortunately, since I am away from home, I haven't been able to test it.

I think I can download Scope 4.5 from Soniccore website and have access to all the plug-ins available for that version, right?

Since I'll be able to use the Modulars, I was wondering how good are they in Physical Modeling?

I'd really like to get a Yamaha VL1 as it seems to create really amazing and expressive sounds.
However, I'm not sure if it's worth spending so much in one, and was wondering if the Modular can be a good alternative?
I already have other synths that can do Physical Modeling - Korg Oasys PCI and MOSS Board, Alesis Fusion, Roland V-Synth and Nord Modulars - but am still tempted by the Yamaha VL1.

Does the Modular includes Physical Modeling modules that will be able to kill my GAS?

Thanks

Paulo
HUROLURA

Re: Physical Modeling using the Modular?

Post by HUROLURA »

Hello and welcome in the scope world

Maybe you can check the smaller VL-70m ...

There are physical modelling elements available under Scope, the 6-String is just one evidence.

I already thought about a knew device inspired from the yamaha range but had no time to dive into it so far.

The modular can already provide usefull module for that purpose.

Just check the Tube Resonator for example:
http://www.cwmodular.org/html/tube.html

or just check this patch ...

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?t=30103
astroman

Post by astroman »

http://www.cwmodular.org/picsPatches/Python.jpg
this is filed under FM but in fact it's more about resonance and feedback (using 2 of the afforementioned tube resonators)
spicing this with the Karplus stuff is quite prospecting as is the new modules from Mod4 and Flexor (not to forget !)
The Python is a very komplex thing - it even made it into a 'compiled' device aka Python Pro distributed by Zarg.
Though it obviously wasn't a big success I'd consider it one of the most outstanding Scope synths and it's conceptually really close to the Hartmann Neuron.
Imho the most significant difference is that resonance and feedback of the latter are derived from formulas, while in the Python you just move controls. The result is quite similiar.
If you're really into that stuff the Modular gives you almost endless ways of processing AND it allows you to integrate whatever source comes to your mind into the processing.
Any of the FX plugins, Synths and even outboard gear can be integrated.
Imho there's nothing out there coming even into it's range.
Nord doesn't have high end studio processors/mixers on board, a Yammie lacks the routing capabilities and a modern OASYS is simply beyond budget... ;) :D

cheers, Tom
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

paugui

Post by paugui »

Thanks for the links you mentioned :)

I hope I can install it quickly and try it when I get back home.

I already have an Hartmann Neuron and indeed it is amazing for pads.
The Python Pro is available for free with version 4.5 of Scope?

Strangely, a while after putting this post I found a Akai EWI3020 with the EWI3030m (no physical modeling but I'm sure that the expressivity I'll get from it will be really amazing), so I hope with the Creamware I can definitely kill my lust for Physical Modeling :)
dante

Post by dante »

The Yamaha PLG150VL is a great card. I use it mainly for Sax. I havent spent much time combining expression elements from one class of acoustic instrument with another, eg brass embechure with violin strings etc, which Yamaha's GUI 'VL Visual Editor' for the card allows you to do. To me, this is the type of exploration that typifies VL (at least in it's Yamaha context), which seems a long way from the Modular scenario in terms of quick results anyway.
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Or there's this one - uses karplus strong modelling techniques. Needs Flexor though.