Modular Synth Patch Archive

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ben Walker

Modular Synth Patch Archive

Post by Ben Walker »

Well, it's been a long time coming, but the Modular Synth patch archive is finally ready!

You can find it here, or by clicking the 'Patches' button on my site.

It contains a complete listing of every patch ever made available for the platform, including, where possible, an image of the patch, a sample of the patch, and the download location. Remarkably, I've managed to locate all but 20 of the 1129 patches listed, and I'm sure that between us we'll be able to fill in a few more of these gaps.

Huge thanks to the many people who've helped me in the creation of the archive. In particular I'd like to thank FrancisHarmany for his invaluable coding help, and most of all Roy Thinnes who has provided most of the samples and images used, and been a constant source of encouragement.

The archive is a work in progress and there are still a few minor issues to be ironed out, particular with browser compatibility. I find it works best in FireFox on a largeish monitor, with IE giving the most problems.

Do let me know if you notice any omissions, errors or have any suggestions for improvement. I want to make this a useful resource for the whole community.

Happy browsing!

Ben
jksuperstar

Re: Modular Synth Patch Archive

Post by jksuperstar »

Wow, what a great resource! Will there be a way to add directly to the archive? Or will you be manually scrapping patches from the Z?

This is the best thing to help me finally transition from the Nord to the SCOPE modular platform! Many thanks again!
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

jksuperstar wrote:Will there be a way to add directly to the archive? Or will you be manually scrapping patches from the Z?
At the moment, I think I'll be the only one maintaining the archive. Just too much work for me to set up pages which would allow people to log in and make entries/amendments. I'd love to be able to do that eventually (and add a rating system, etc, etc) but not right now.

Ben

BTW I've not tried it on the archive yet, but using a plug in manager like DownThemall for Firefox would allow you to download groups of patches really easily if you're trying to build up your own patch library.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Amazing amount of work!

Thanks!

Greg
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

hurray!
a big thank :) you :) Ben :)
dante

Post by dante »

Thats awesome, love the sort columns, so you can drill down to just the versions you want quickly. Well done all.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I am now motivated to delete my weakness with new founded discoveries at an accellerated rate.
Nice Job Ben.
I can only imagine any new Scope user must be elated.
Even those who own a Pulsar Project card like my kid have access to an incredible amount of products.
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

I agree you've built a great resource for every new scoper, for all user that want to learn more about modular and for those that are busy with modular for years now, it is a great look back into the past of scope. Brings back memories.
Thank you.
dante

Post by dante »

Ben Walker wrote: Do let me know if you notice any omissions, errors or have any suggestions for improvement. I want to make this a useful resource for the whole community.
Ben
I have a couple of suggestions regards the search criteria :

1) The checkboxes 'Exclude Factory Patches' and 'Uses Flexor' might be better as tristate dropdowns : eg
. Uses Flexor
. Does not use Flexor
. All

At the moment, to see all patches not using flexor you need to do a search, then click on the 'Flexor' column to sort the non Flexor ones to the top.

2) Retain search criteria after a search, so that user can progressively modify multi criteria one at a time per search. EG first search may be by author, but to then reduce that list by say Version, you have to re-select author and version then search again. Might be a PITA though if you have to store the viewstate in a cookie or something....

These are just minor improvements because you can already find what you're looking for, but it just reduces the mouse clicks I guess.

The fact that you can do these searches at all now is a huge bonus. And bound to increase traffic to the site because so convenient now.
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

dante wrote: I have a couple of suggestions regards the search criteria :

1) The checkboxes 'Exclude Factory Patches' and 'Uses Flexor' might be better as tristate dropdowns : eg
. Uses Flexor
. Does not use Flexor
. All

At the moment, to see all patches not using flexor you need to do a search, then click on the 'Flexor' column to sort the non Flexor ones to the top.

2) Retain search criteria after a search, so that user can progressively modify multi criteria one at a time per search. EG first search may be by author, but to then reduce that list by say Version, you have to re-select author and version then search again. Might be a PITA though if you have to store the viewstate in a cookie or something....
Thanks for the feedback - will try and implement both of these next week. Saving search criteria should be doable without cookies - I probably just need to return the parameter values to the form when the page reloads. Will need to add a 'reset parameters' button, which will also make the page reload, I should think, but that should be OK.

Will let you know when the new version is ready.
dante

Post by dante »

Cool look fwd to it.
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Form changes are complete. Works much better.
Let me know if you can think of any other improvements.
dante

Post by dante »

Yep the search refining works well, and I love the pop-up player - didnt notice it before. To be able to search patches that will run on your platform and audition them really makes browsing a rewarding exploration. well done all.
garyb

Post by garyb »

Ben, i just wanted to chime in about how awesome what you are doing is. awesome. very, very, very, very awesome. thanks.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Sent you a first set of few rough soundclips using the patches I made for Mod IV on your e-mail Ben.
In case you needed some more files ...
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Great - thanks - I'll get them posted a.s.a.p.
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

I've uploaded most of your samples - still have to work out how I'm going to deal with multiple samples for single patches - couple of options to choose from.

Will you check if I've listed all patches from you?
dante

Post by dante »

Well thats a good one - I didn't see that before that if you copy the link after you've done a search, then you can store that link in your favourites and it will bring your search results when you click the link. Cool, must mention that feature :)
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

My most pressing issue now is how to stop this:

turning into this:

Seems to be a particular problem with Internet Explorer and at certain screen widths.

Any CSS guru's got any ideas? I could turn it into a table, but I'd rather not.
I thought that using fieldsets and labels was meant to get round this problem, but it doesn't, so a bit of rework needed.
Bah.
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Think I've sorted the business with the search form now. I've tried it in a few browsers. Let me know if it's still messed up for you.