Successful Full Range with Silentway Voicecontrol

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Tau

Re: Successful Full Range with Silentway Voicecontrol

Post by Tau »

Tommylee, Neutron: Thank you! The Silentway suite is awesome for controlling the modular: timing is impeccable, modulations are stepless and creamy, and the portamento sound is lovely. At least for monophonic patches, this is what I'll be using from now on. Though it can do poly, I understand it'll take at least 2 outputs per voice (pitch and gate), and though ASIO outs are cheap, too many still take their toll on the system.

I have been getting good results by combining both your methods: the configuration file works a treat, so I connect pitch CV straight to freq input, Gate CV to a CompAX module, then to EG gate in. Since Flexor EG modules don't need E-sync, it's pretty simple, really - but only because of the knowledge you shared here. Thank you!

T
tomylee

Post by tomylee »

yeah, you know how much I would like that the whole scope environment - all synths etc - would have cv inputs, also mixers etc etc, now with xite there is way enough power to stop doing childs play with midi and start to the adult stuff with audio ;)

I wonder how many asio channels I can load up in my setup :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well I tried the demo in 32bit using Reaper. Reaper seems to have a built in bridge with 32bit plugs. I just put the plugs' dll.'s into the x64bit folders where Reaper looks and it installed.
I shall spend the rest of the day getting things to work.
I have been using asyc2sync and Flexor IIIs' Control Smoother to avoid the stepped sounds w/o Silent Way and they work well like this, but having the audio/CV thing seems the optimal way.
I also want to thank TomyLee and Nuetron and Tau and JKSupabrutha' for thier efforts in these matters. I have tried for 3 years to get something like working and gave up due to differing opinions and ridiculous costs associated with hardware.
For now, I will use this with Modular IV and once I see those advantages, I will buy any hardware required to make my SE-1X and SE-1 work, then Analog Filter Modules covering various needs like the SUperBandPass ( CS80 ) 6 pole Oberheim and Moog Ladder.
With 2 x A16U's I should have a very powerful mobile rig by years end.
I have no problem dragging around an 8U with the hardware above, and an XITE-1 w/ a powerful laptop.
I always have been unsatisfied with digital filters. We have the best sounding filters w/ Scope, and while I gave up on Native filters I still realize where the real Kings are. The Analog filters are still so far above the quality of DSP and Native.
So the days of polishing turds is over I hope.

Thanks Guys.
The rest of the week goes into getting this stuff working with Mod IV.
tomylee

Post by tomylee »

when I am done having my a16 and my se1x and probably a doepfer pocketcontrol modded for complete cv processing capabilities, I will let you know and hear how it sounds, and my modder guy will be happy to mod your gear too if you want, hes asking very reasonable prices for custom mods. :)
Tau

Post by Tau »

Yup, the SIlentWay suite should be the bomb for analogue/digital hybrid synthesis. But to use this with S|C modular is also very nice, as it enables smooth modulation sweeps and perfect timing. And for about 40$... seem pretty reasonable to me.

What I was thinking was, even though I bought the suite, that, to use exclusively with modular, *maybe* one could replace the VoiceControl plugin for a softsynth (regular MIDI-to-audio conversion), and route that synth directly to the freq input of Mod's OSCs... Would have to be calibrated, possibly microtuned, the waveform matched, but I can't see why not. Maybe a sine tone generator, responding to MIDI note, with a simple sustained Envelope (no A, D or R), so that it can be used as a gate trigger as well... I mean, this IS a softsynth...

It's just that I always thought that Modular needed an audio to pitch converter before the oscillators, but this plugin proves that it isn't. And what amazes me, is that audio triggering is so much more stable and accurate than MIDI, especially if the "MIDI-to-audio-to-CV" is performed on the DAW, before passing on to MIDI.

I'm really happy with this new tool, but I can imagine how it would be cool to have some presets for synths that would control Modular :D Maybe even an addition to the .dlls on Scope?
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Silentway needs to make another VST which outputs a square wave locked in to the tempo. Imagine for the first time being able to use SB404 and scope modular sequencers and they stay dead on time!
tomylee

Post by tomylee »

Neutron wrote:Silentway needs to make another VST which outputs a square wave locked in to the tempo. Imagine for the first time being able to use SB404 and scope modular sequencers and they stay dead on time!
tau asked about this in this thread

the solution is already here I guess, the silentway lfo vst can create any form of waveforms, and you can sync them to the host bpm, in phase.

in the case of sb404 it wont work though, as its clock input only accepts genuine midi clock and probably no signals from audio domain

I am working on a solution though, the first approach is with the vst clock module - will keep you updated

edit: no luck, the sb404 has a midi clock input, which first of all only accepts midi signals, second of all: it is midi! ;)

I tried to work around in modular maybe I could do some sync to async flexor tricks to be able to output 24pulses of gate or whatever to the midi output, but this is a way too different terminology, it just wont work, maybe there will be a sb404 v3 version in the future which accepts audio trigger or the creamware midi clock vst modules information - I wonder though how does it send its signals to scope? is it MAGIC? ^^ hehehe
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Very interesting thread folks. Thank you Tomylee for uploading the calibration file and to you and Neutron and Tau for explanations and examples. Got a simple patch working but my 15 minutes on silentway is up so will try some modulations next 8)
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

I managed to set up a few channels in live to send out some cv modulation curves and rhythmic tempo synced stuff and it works wonderfully. This kind of control is delicious and infectious and as it's so easy to configure and use I've already had a very productive session. Right silentway is on the buy list now 8)

Next step is to get numerology working with the launchpad sequencing control and sync between mac and pc and I'll be laughing all the way to sequence heaven :lol:
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have made some kick ass 6 Oscillator sounds with wonderful step free
modulations on one of the Oscillators as it was the Waldorf.
I am frustrated though, as I can't figure out how to get polyphony.
I have the poly voice at 6, didn't hear anything, so I went to the Modular
patch and added 5 more Osc's. No Bueno.
Do I need 6 envelopes, 6 VCA, etc.etc...?
UntitledC.jpg
dante

Post by dante »

Thats what I was asking on 'X', well partly. There I asked if you needed 2 ASIO channels per voice. If thats the case, then do you need 12 for a 6 note chord, then 6 complete circuit paths in the modular. I imagine the ADSR could be common, but what else ?

When you set the number of voices in a modular patch, is it internally just duplicating the whole curcuit ? In which case, using Silent Way, do you have to do that duplication yourself ?

Also, was wondering since asking you bout the Pro Wave in modular,

http://www.modularsynth.co.uk/modulepag ... usic.shtml

if any of the input plugs on that allowed the silent way signal control to be plugged in. It does have the yellow 'Note' and 'Gate' inputs - so maybe so !
dawman

Post by dawman »

Hey maybe you're onto something there.
tomylee

Post by tomylee »

you need 2 channels per voice, one is the frequency of the oscillator, the other is the gate, which in modular you can use to drive 6 envelopes (at 6 voices) so you dont need more channels to use the voicecontroller envelopes
dante

Post by dante »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Hey maybe you're onto something there.
Well it will be a coupla weeks before I get Pro Wave, so if you test it in the meantime let me know. Otherwise, I'll run it by JB & see what he reckons
dawman

Post by dawman »

tomylee wrote:you need 2 channels per voice, one is the frequency of the oscillator, the other is the gate, which in modular you can use to drive 6 envelopes (at 6 voices) so you dont need more channels to use the voicecontroller envelopes
Does this mean I am limited to 4 voices since the 8 I/O Modular has 8 mono inputs..?
tomylee

Post by tomylee »

nah, think loading several modulars ;)

one for each voice I would suggest, now that power is abundand

I would do it as follows:

Build one voice in your modular, say 2 inputs for freq and gate and 6 inputs free or assignable to your needs for external lfo or envelopes (from silentway for example, but not necessary). Have all modulation intensities set, so you can manipulate them in your daw and dont have to change values anymore in modular, which will be handy later.

It is important that all settings in your first voice have modulation intensities cranked way up (like vcf modulation intensity) so you can control them via silentway and dont have to change it in modular anymore, since you would have to change it for each voice which is not handy in scope.

then save that modular and load it say 8 times in scope, connect each modular with your asio interface and there you go, bomb 8 voice megasynth with audio rate modulations!

midi can go cry in a corner ;)

If you have done this, you could even become ballsy, and record modulations into your DAW and edit them there, to slightly modifiy your synth sequence for the right edge..

damn im so happy that they made silentway, and that SFP is the right platform to use it
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:
tomylee wrote:you need 2 channels per voice, one is the frequency of the oscillator, the other is the gate, which in modular you can use to drive 6 envelopes (at 6 voices) so you dont need more channels to use the voicecontroller envelopes
Does this mean I am limited to 4 voices since the 8 I/O Modular has 8 mono inputs..?
but yes, you are right, for one modular max is 4 voices, or 7 voices if you dont care that only 1 voice controls all envelopes, sounds funny though, I alredy tried it
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

dawman

Post by dawman »

Coolness.
I know what path to take now.
The groove was cool, reminded me of the THompson Twins from the 80's.

Thanks TLee
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here's a really fat mono patch, and a spread out jpeg for those
w/o Mod IV.
CV Out goes into Modular 8 x 8 input 1.
Silentway LFO >> Modular 8 x 8 input 3.
Envelope Out >> Modular 8 x 8 input 4.
Silentway Step LFO >> Modular 8 x 8 input 5.

Silentway LFO's are much more accurate at audiorate Modulation.
Their Envelopes are punchy and snappy, not at all mushy like MIDI.

The Flexor Control Smoother allows a slight delay so the Silentway
Portamento now has given control for a seperate Oscillator glide amount
on the second pair. P1 Oscillator is actually a pair of Osc's.

The patch will be updated with Silentway Pitch and Quantizer
so the Syncing capabilites can be added. That will be the icing on the
cake for me. Right now I use Prodyssey and Modular version of the ARP
Odyssey to get the automated SYnc'd stuff I like.
Silentway is GOD. If you aren't using it, GET IT....

And Thanks Again to Neutron, Tomylee, and Tau.
MOD IV MONO A SILENYWAY.zip
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Modular version of the ARP Odyssey?! Where can this be found? (if it's available & not stepping on anybody's toes!)
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

jksuperstar wrote:Modular version of the ARP Odyssey?! Where can this be found? (if it's available & not stepping on anybody's toes!)
Try this: http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?t=29158