Velocity Switched Lead Axe

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Velocity Switched Lead Axe

Post by dawman »

Anyone have any ideas on how I can take the great lead/distortion Guitar patch I have made, so that I can use velocity switching to hit harmonics or feedback...?
I really want the ability to use the mod wheel or a pedal to physically switch from the Guitar body/distortion sound to an all out feedback, but would love to get those Eddie Van Halen type of picked harmonics by hitting the keys harder.
Maybe a Sample Oscillator can be used...?
Or just an Oscillator using a slightly distorted Sine Wave I can switch/mix back and forth from.

Any Ideas Are Welcome.....
Ankyu..
dante

Re: Velocity Switched Lead Axe

Post by dante »

Why not cut the sample ( or whatever sound sourse) in two - one with attack portion and one with feedback only, then feed each one into a seperate playback device. Make the attack 'source' device only work on velocity values 0 - 64 and the sustain portion device only work on velocity values 65-128.

That would be one approach using velocity, as velocity is a once off value at note start.

To cross from attack to sustain in middle of a note, then it would just be a matter of using a crossfade volume component to fade from attack playback device to sustain playback device.

Some EWQL stuff (ministry of gothic rock godz or whateva packs) would have all those sounds with controllers already prefab'ed into them... but $$$ :-?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Where's the harmonizer module for ModularIV?

Maybe use a velocity triggered LFO to fade in the upper octave. But you want to be able to do it on command, so maybe map sustain to a octave up fade-in and control it with a footpedal, or spare mod wheel. I think Jan Hammer used to use the mod wheel.

There are many ways to reassign controller data to other controller data using MIDI-OX, which may give you some ideas.

I think it's going to come down to a separate controller such as pedal or modwheel so that it doesn't become this lame static feedback on EVERY sustained note. I'd approach it kinda like a wah wah.

I have 'feedback' +12va mapped to the D-beam controller on my VG-99 on one patch. It swoops into the mix fairly realistically.

The trick is - do you want it to be somewhat static, or more reactive and dynamic?

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dante

Post by dante »

Aftertouch is a good one if your keyboard had it. Dynamic, and leaves the mod / pitch wheels free for thier original functions
dawman

Post by dawman »

Funny that I had this on my ancient Ensoniq Mirage and a simple shove of the Mod Wheel brought in another sample of feedback.
I guess it's a tough one to make, but I am determined.
I have to cover the Rhythm Guitar parts when the Guitarist solos,and I have that covered, I also have to play power chords and double leads at the same time. I just will rough it out and create it myself by experiementing for days on end.
I just don't have the extra time until late at night, and thats when I am already spent..... :(
Alfonso has made a great Guitar rig BTW.
Fat Cat and MoJo Insert are intregal parts. Really nice to see the guys with Mod IV and XITE-1's ( DAS ) getting involved again.
I must admit though, I was breastfeeding for way too long.....their absense actually weened me.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

You'll get it.

Not hard to fake rock guitar parts :)

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dante

Post by dante »

siriusbliss wrote:Not hard to fake rock guitar parts :)Greg
Yeah but hard to make em sound not fake :)
at0m

Post by at0m »

Hey Jimmy, why not just use something like CompAX to generate an extra Gate when vel>100, then gateLogic to AND your MVC's and compAX and let the gateLogic trigger an extra section/ADSR, or let that ADSR modulate a distortion modulation mix?

I'm confident you can come up with something appropriate nowadays :)
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
dawman

Post by dawman »

I was hoping you would reply.
I would love to see a screenshot of something like that....
You guys give me too much credit, I only understand and comprehend what I have learned by dissecting patches others have made and what I retained at Synthskool.
Unfortunately I missed the last few classes where some of those modules were explained, so hopefully the videos will surface and I can pick up where I left off.

Once August arrived I was summoned by Lake Tahoe. Just to live in this Babylonian Oasis I must escape on various fishing and hunting expeditions, as well as leisure time at Chimney Beach. Camping in the cliffside caves and freezing at night, only to be baked by the sun and frozen by the water the next day is a family tradition.
Plus the sites are always remarkable......

I really appreciate as always your input and ideas. The last leslie emulation was in itself a lesson, one I really appreciated.
So Thanks 4 Any Help. You know I will use it, and this causes people to have fun and dance......all from another continent away..

My son is 15 now and 6'1" in height. He is King of the Rock Divers.
The stream is by my property where I fetch German Brown and Rainbow Trout.
The girls just happened to get in my way of the Chimney as I took pictures...... :lol:
01-100618_1019.mp3
Here's what I have so far and I like it. But I need the Eddie Van Halen stuff badly.
01-100508_0937.mp3
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Unfortunately I missed the last few classes where some of those modules were explained, so hopefully the videos will surface and I can pick up where I left off.
Ooops. Same here...
The girls just happened to get in my way of the Chimney as I took pictures...... :lol:
What mansion are you talking about. 8) ?
dawman

Post by dawman »

The upper left corner of the pic shows a Chimney made of Granite blocks. It is the only thing left on the beach. It stands like a monument.
The mansion that it was built inside of was burnt to the ground by the Washoe tribe of Pauite Indians.

Joke.............
Why did the Pioneers give the Indians the name of Washoe...........?

Because Kit Carson came through the area back in early 1800's and came across a Black Indian CHief. They usually traded the indians magnifying glasses mirrors and beads, but the Indians accepted the Poultry and Livestock as trade.
Then Kit Carson asked the black Indian chief if this gift would allow safe passage through the valley. Then the Black Indian chief waved his hand towards the mountains and replied...............Why Sho ( the dialect an african american would use to say why sure....)
Ankyu,.........Please......try the veal..........Im here all week.
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

dante

Post by dante »

Not sure if there is a wav player in mod4, buit 2night Ill make a wav file with attack on left channel, feedback on right. Then load into STS, pan from left to right, mix back down to mono and happy daze....
dawman

Post by dawman »

Coolness.
All feedback is welcome............no pun intended.
And Roy thanks loads. I only have a mini ancient Scope Project at home, but your idea works great and I can't wait to get this patch in my main DAW.
I have a Waldorf x 2 and Sample Osc x 1 patch with strings and vox that came out nice.

Thanks So much Again........

PS...thanks for the Ass shot. I believe that was the girls from Crazy Horse that performed for years here at the Riviera. Now we have shows where men dress as women.........Oh well. The beaches and strip clubs are still packed.
Oh and BTW 100 was a great setting for my Chinese junkwagon controller.....
Vel Sw Str Vox.mp3
dante

Post by dante »

Heres a stereo guitar wav, attack on left, sustain ( 1+ve ) on right. I had zip luck with STS or Mod 3 - not sure how to play a wav file in them - too many years since I played with those.

I read that MOD4 had a wavsplitter though - what does that do ?
stereo_gtr.zip
Stereo Gtr
(702.37 KiB) Downloaded 167 times