Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

PsyGoatDelic

modular newbie - kick patch

Post by PsyGoatDelic »

Hello
am trying to build a kick patch with the modular3
but stumbled upon two problems
1. the beat doesn't sound constant (like LFO) from beat to beat (osc sync missing?)
2. need more punch...

was wondering if someone can give me some hits & tips for better result
thanks
Moti
Janni

Re: modular newbie - kick patch

Post by Janni »

the best kick for scope (freeware :D ) can be found here:
http://adern.com/home/modules.php?name= ... eview&id=7
I know it's not an answer ;-) but it sounds just brilliant
maybe you get more punch with faster envelopes:
http://adern.com/home/modules.php?name= ... eview&id=8
-/-
PsyGoatDelic

Post by PsyGoatDelic »

already know the kickme device...
I build the modular patches for a school project.
I've managed to get more punch to the kick with minimum attack on the env and with a exp vca with more slope.

but I still hear changes from beat to beat. how can i solve that?
David

Post by David »

at0m

Post by at0m »

PsyGoatDelic wrote:already know the kickme device...
I build the modular patches for a school project.
I've managed to get more punch to the kick with minimum attack on the env and with a exp vca with more slope.

but I still hear changes from beat to beat. how can i solve that?
Since the sine osc you're using doesn't retrigger, it will be at random position (phase) when the ADSR opens its volume.
I recommend using an osc with retrigger, like SineOsc SyncS, but there's no dedicated Gate on sine osc. This osc needs Gate2Sync between MVC's gate output and the osc's Sync input, properly retriggering your oscillator and indespensible for a consistent kick.

You don't need the pitch modifier; instead, mix MVC's freq output (or just a ConstFreq if the Kick doesnt need to be pitched) with 2-3 progressively longer envelopes. To get more punch, you can stack (read: mix, using mix2 or mix4) a couple AD/ADSR. Keep in mind that a freq signal is relatively small, so initially tune it with just the freq input on that mixer and the 'master out' from that mixer at max. Then start raising mix levels of the envelopes in quite small amounts, and you'll hear the punch coming.

If you know KickMe, you'll have noticed the different envelopes (snap/.../body). Snap makes for the initial transient, like the sound of the head hitting the skin. That AD has the shortest/fastest settings. Then another one with a bit longer times, and yet another one. Balance the pitch env amounts, and another mixer (or straight from the 'body' AD) to drive the VCA. Set up these mixers carefully! Also note that exponential envelopes (high slope, as you noticed) will add even more punch.

On the MVC, gate can be directly fed back to E-sync, the amp env will retrigger better for kick.

Or, why not try MultiLFO A as an osc? Apart from a gate input, it also has phase control, which can further optimise the initial transient of the osc (together with the different env's attacks). And this LFO has 2 modulation inputs built-in!

Leaving sync off works too, but sample them to get a consistent kick - play a bunch to create a collection of random attack phase kicks ;)

Have fun :)
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
PsyGoatDelic

Post by PsyGoatDelic »

thanks man! really appreciate it!