Modular preset

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

grappa

Modular preset

Post by grappa »

Hi all,

Been playing around in Mod 2 and creating presets for my Juno106 patch.

I've hit an issue with the presets I have created however - for some reason when I select a preset the visual display of the parameters in Mod 2 change to reflect the preset however the patch doesn't change sound i.e. if I set the OSC as SAW only and then pick a preset with Pulse only the sound is still all SAW?

I've not changed any of the modules or connections in the Mod patch since I saved the preset file.

Appreciate any advice.

Si
dawman

Re: Modular preset

Post by dawman »

Post a screenshot.
grappa

Post by grappa »

OK -slightly duff info there.

I am creating a new preset file for my patch. I create a bank and then a couple of presets and store the file.

If I select one of the presets then some parameters change correctly however some dont! On my Juno patch for example the PW on the UKNOW OSC changes correctly but the CF of the filter doesn't and neither does my ADSR....go figure..

What am I doing wrong here as it must be me doing something stupid - it's driving me nuts however.
Juno106.JPG
Juno106.JPG (99.08 KiB) Viewed 4189 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

Cables would help.......... :lol:
David

Post by David »

I found that making changes to the device layout after making the presets gave this kind of error but otherwise try saving the device with the stored preset file(?)
but in general if the preset had a setting for the module and it was in the modular window it changed the value.

Perhaps try adjusting a few settings per preset so to better monitor when this error occurs until it is resolved.

It is an odd behaviour that I can't reproduce with the same patch I've made myself

best intentions
feg
grappa

Post by grappa »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've located the problem and it relates to assigning CC to parameters - if I remove my CC settings then the patch updates and sounds fine - if I add them again then modular misbehaves.

Anyone be able to confirm that this is not just me?

Assign some CC's to a vintage ADSR and save a couple of presets with different envelopes. Select them and let me know what happens - in my patch the ADSR settings change visually but the env sound is just the same...if I touch one of the env parameters the output changes to the correct env sound. If I remove the CC's then loading a preset works fine.

Si
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

confirmed, same here.
possible workaround: save your controler settings in the Midi controler preset list, and save another Midi controler preset with all CCs removed.
in this mode all presets work; if you want to use CCs again, just switch to your first CC preset again.
David

Post by David »

I've now recreated this odd behaviour and it's applies to most modules.

Roys solution does appear to work though :)

I'm finding that all presets saved after making midi cc assignments (even through the Midi Controller Settings window) don't recall correctly.
The presets made before making the midi cc assignment function as expected.
However, if I use the external midi controller to make the knob/button settings before the preset save then the preset is recalled as expected.
It seems, it is just when making mouse changes to the knob which has a midi cc assignment, then saving it, that causes an erronous preset recall behaviour.

I'll check on this further.
Thanks for the solution Roy

feg
grappa

Post by grappa »

Thanks for the heads up guys - appreciate it.

I'll have a mess with midi presets as suggested as a workaround.

Does Modular IV exhibit this behaviour JV??

Si
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well I had MIDI CC problems way back when and Scope 5 seemed to automate everything much better. I use to have my presets set up blank as explained above, but on certain instruments I still had a notepad list of which MIDI CC's needed to be added after the project booted. I haven't had such issues in the XITE-1 or Scope 5/Modular IV.
Below is how I set everything up so I can just get to town as soon as I boot. No more re assigning presets or MIDI CC's.
I always put a " minus " in front of the MIDI Controller bank in the preset list so it would always be in the zero position. Never figured out exactly why things worked, but I know they do so I still use this method once I have auto indexed everything.
untitled.JPG
David

Post by David »

@Grappa: why not try the demo of ModIV
grappa

Post by grappa »

There's a much better fix (read - eliminate the problem entirely!) using BC Modular.

Details to follow shortly.....

Si
dawman

Post by dawman »

Grappa..................
I have a mute all controllers function on my KS88 so
I never had this happen before, but I broke out the
Oberheim M3000D to start using live again, and I noticed
exactly what you are talking about.
I went back in and created a blank 000 preset to load on
start up as Roy suggested and it works fine now.
For using Modular live I must access to the FIlters and Envelopes,
and more recently bypass or 1 x 2 switches for bypassing the
Shapers Effects section, and various sound sculpting tools.
Modular just isn't meant to be a ROMpler, it must be tweaked.
01-100618_1019.mp3
untitled.JPG
grappa

Post by grappa »

Thats a sweet organic sound you got their JV - love the wammy action and axe phrasing/note choices - you make it come alive man... awesome
David

Post by David »

Hi Grappa, how's the bcmodular fix going? I'd be interested to read your account of how you overcame this error.

with thanks