Modular V2 vs Nord Modular?

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

DailyGrind

Post by DailyGrind »

I'm fairly new to the world of modular synths and have grown to love the concept of modular synthesis as well as the sound of the nord modular and nord lead 3(which can be approximated on the nord modular).

Knowing next to nothing about Creamware Pulsar (other than what can be gleamed from their website), how does it's Modular V2 compare to the Nord Modular in terms of sound quality and flexibility? How about public domain patches? I'm not worried about portability since this would only be used in my home studio.

I'm also a bit confused about the Pulsar XTC card. I'm under the impression that the Pulsar XTC card will only work with a VST plugin based sequencer and that I need to go with a Pulsar II card if I want to use this as a stand-alone synth. Is that true? What's the average number of voices you can get out of a Pulsar II card?

Thanks!
Peter
madmod

Post by madmod »

The Nord is a great unit
But the Modular2 IMHO Sounds better

I wish i could take it to a gig without
a computer .....i would be :lol:
hmmm Dreamy!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: madmod on 2001-09-28 05:50 ]</font>
DailyGrind

Post by DailyGrind »

I'm just getting back into digital audio and MOTU says I may have timing issues by having multiple audio cards in my system. I already have a Korg OASYS PCI card so I may have to go with the Nord Modular for that reason alone. Man, I wish all this stuff played well together...
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

If you want help getting a Pulsar+Oasys in a system then email me :smile: It works fine, but you must use specific motherboards if you use both cards to the max. And actually both systems listed on the Infinite Vortex website will worth with both cards installed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-09-28 12:39 ]</font>
massusen

Post by massusen »

I´ve got both a NordModular and PulsarII´s Modular 2 and there are some things that do keep them apart. Sound quality is better on the Mod2, but it hasn´t got the same amount of possibilities when it comes to modulation. It does not have anything equivalent to the Nords four morphing groups.
In the Mod3 there should be more possibilities when it comes to modulating the effects though- this is what I´ve heard from Creamware. And the Nord hasn´t got the RAM for effects like the Mod2 can do.

Well. My thoughts. I hope they shed some light on the issue.
DailyGrind

Post by DailyGrind »

Massus,

I've got my eye on a Nord Modular on auction right now since it would be nice to have the physical knobs for tweaking. However, I plan on holding out for a Pulsar system if I don't win the auction. :smile:

Thanks,
Peter