Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

irrelevance

TB303 discussion

Post by irrelevance »

Firstly a few useful links:

http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/303-unique.html

http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/303-slide.html

So exponential curves on the decay can juice things up a little.
irrelevance

Re: TB303 discussion

Post by irrelevance »

I have found that messing with the decay curve can yield some really nice results BUT that it is so fiddly to set up it's almost hradly worth the effort as any modulation of other parameters tends to through delicate adjustments I made right out the window :o

Now this may be my fault I'm not sure yet but if any one else wanted to try then let me know and I will upload the mod patch.

Other way around it could be to simply adjust the velocity curve on the MVC to be exponential. I will soon find out :lol:
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

Thanks for the links :)
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

You're way ahead of me - I'm still finishing up lesson 1
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Thanks for the link.
I understand:
The Volume Envelope Generator (VEG)
Sharp attack, exponential decay, fixed decay and rather long
time. (In the Devil Fish it can be altered between very short,
normal and infinite sustain.)
Drives the VCA and does nothing else.
to be meaning: exponential decay for the ADSR that controls VCA.
adsrVCA.JPG
adsrVCA.JPG (65.67 KiB) Viewed 6704 times
We should experiment with other adsr. Unhappily, I can't do that with Flexor at the moment, I'll get activation keys later on this week.
at0m

Post by at0m »

On that ADSR you can use Slope, for envelopes that don't have such option, there's VCA Exponential. A ringmodulated envelope xfading with the original envelope would do the same.
Note that all these make the whole envelope exponential, not just the Decay. But since you're after a snappy Attack, I guess that won't hurt :)

[edit] you guys didn't trick me in doing your homework eh? :D
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Seems as though the MEG being discussed is the envelope that controls the filter which would be the ad vintage in our case. The VEG would be the ADSR. I have tried loading ADSR (& mod) vintage mod 3 module which has a slope parameter for the decacy. But I'm thinking that if there is an exponential decay on the the velocity curve itself it would apply it it all parameters being modulated so may sound better. Can't check this out now as I'm in the middle of a 4000 word essay :/
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

Yeah I'm doing this in the middle of OU work and going out to work, so I have to fit it in a short space of time. It means the tracks are very unpolished, unfinished and raw - just rough sketches

Thats the ADSR controlling the Lin VCA so :
So you want the attack fast / decay very high up so it dies out slowly and sustain/release at 0
Change the slope setting to exponential
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

dbmac wrote:You're way ahead of me - I'm still finishing up lesson 1
No worries db it's not a race by any means look forward to hearing your track...Mine could do with an extra 10 secs got any spare :lol:
at0m wrote:On that ADSR you can use Slope, for envelopes that don't have such option, there's VCA Exponential. A ringmodulated envelope xfading with the original envelope would do the same.
Note that all these make the whole envelope exponential, not just the Decay. But since you're after a snappy Attack, I guess that won't hurt :)

[edit] you guys didn't trick me in doing your homework eh? :D
Right at0m I kind of stumbled across this today looking at one of the offcial flexor patches the tb free -0- free

In the guts of the circuit you can see the ring mods which in the case of the deacy is connected to the multi val and the amplitude modulator
crop expo env.JPG
crop expo env.JPG (202.58 KiB) Viewed 6538 times
The circuit that isistoy is the circuit we are working with so these additions wouldn't count in the homework anyway. It's just useful info I think

So you haven't been suckered at0m. Honest :D
strav100 wrote:Yeah I'm doing this in the middle of OU work and going out to work, so I have to fit it in a short space of time. It means the tracks are very unpolished, unfinished and raw - just rough sketches

Thats the ADSR controlling the Lin VCA so :
So you want the attack fast / decay very high up so it dies out slowly and sustain/release at 0
Change the slope setting to exponential
Unfinished and raw sounds good enough :)

You're right on the adsr.

Isistoy this one offers the decay mod
adsr mod vintage.JPG
adsr mod vintage.JPG (16.26 KiB) Viewed 6648 times
Last edited by irrelevance on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Thanks At0m,
I learned sthg with adsr slope.
At0m wrote:A ringmodulated envelope xfading with the original envelope would do the same
Now I am not sure to understand why these combination makes such result. I think I understand cross fading, but what would ring mod do with second envelope signal?
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

iSiStOy wrote:Thanks At0m,
I learned sthg with adsr slope.
At0m wrote:A ringmodulated envelope xfading with the original envelope would do the same
Now I am not sure to understand why these combination makes such result. I think I understand cross fading, but what would ring mod do with second envelope signal?
Input 1 is multiplied by input 2 of a ring modulator. When something is continually multiplied by itself it will increase exponentially.

I may be misquoting Red, but I believe he mentioned that everything in scope is either +1 or -1 ( 2 to the power 31 or -2 to the power 31) so I think (not sure) the multi val is putting out the same maximum range as the envelope does +1/-1 hence the exponential effect
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Yogimeister

Post by Yogimeister »

So RM is basically the same effect as using an envelope multiplier?
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Yogimeister wrote:So RM is basically the same effect as using an envelope multiplier?

Ring mod is essentially a linear function so it would be similar to using a linear vca. The lin vca may be optimsed for envelopes not sure. Give it a try in a patch and see if you like the results 8)
dawman

Post by dawman »

RKuit has a Modular example patch where RM and ADSR give a powerful result. Got that from Solaris I believe.
Also JBowen's RD Modules Series II has a Self Multiple EG that can alter timbres in a positive way.
Then there's SAL's ultra snappy ADSR that when using the RIng Mod trick really gets things cracking.
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

i think without the right filter type it would be hard to emulate it to a close aproximation. you need the distortion on high Q setting. distortion or shaping of some sort inside the filter itself, inside the reso circuit, something like the flexor LP3 rubber but not quite.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
dawman

Post by dawman »

Agreed..
During the Modular classes we took Assaf threw together a fast TB303 and using a distortion module (soft) pre VCA and another after, then stock SC Multi A filter was getting gnarly from the get go....

Those vids are going to great to soak in when I get some time in May, thanks again Faxi.