Sequencer With External Audio Source

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Sequencer With External Audio Source

Post by dawman »

I am not a big fan of Arrpeg 1 & 2, they are nice but extremly mechanical sounding.
I would like to build a Sequencer in Modular using the external audio from my Analog Synth.
Is this possible or is it a waste of time. I have to consider the audio degradation, and the small amount of latency too, but I just love the incredible amount of controls available in Modular.

Is there a patch somewhere I can check out the color, and controls..?
siriusbliss

Re: Sequencer With External Audio Source

Post by siriusbliss »

Wow, we're in sync. there Jim. Was just farting around with Arpeg today.

It's fine. It's still an arpeggiator.
Wolf's sequencer is OK also.

What I REALLY need is a sequencer/step that simply tracks external chords. I do NOT want a preconceived step sequencer, and I do not want 'static' arpeggiation patterns. I do not need to just turn on preconceived sequences with a MIDI command. I need tracking and following.

Arpeg02 does the arpeggiation OK, with some pseudo randomness and what-all, but it's still 'static'.

I'm looking at building something similar to Omnisphere's step arpeggiator.

In other words - sustain chords along the timeline and have the step arpeggiator take care of the rhythmic component .

Purpose is to setup a real-time backing track under my real-time performance so I can modulate around jazz style, while also soloing.

I know it's possible somehow - probably a combination of Arpeg02 and some other module (maybe Wolf's). Just haven't had time to build it.

Greg

p.s. as already discussed elsewhere, I can already do this with Roland GR-33 and Axon AX-100 guitar synth interfaces.
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman

Post by dawman »

With Roy's help I think we can get close.
I wish to trigger pre programmed passages using note input and let Modular do it's magic.
I think you should get the old ancient Kurzweil Expressionmate.
It has a long ribbon and you could trigger 3 different arrpegiations, bi directional,etc.
I'll let you know what I come up with.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

OK great.

Yeah, should be no more need for anymore hardware :)

I also have a padKontrol, which serves multiple functions from controller to drum trigger.

Some other nifty programs out there that are great tools that could be emulated in Scope:
Attachments
Good for some rhythmic/harmonic developments.  (Only really works with external controller - not working inside the host)
Good for some rhythmic/harmonic developments. (Only really works with external controller - not working inside the host)
7Aliens_HarmonizerW2.JPG (59.37 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
Handy for coming up with some great chord progressions.
Handy for coming up with some great chord progressions.
Improvisator.JPG (74.24 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
Omnisphere's step arpeggiator.  Can be replicated in Scope.
Omnisphere's step arpeggiator. Can be replicated in Scope.
Omnisphere_arpeggiator.JPG (97.28 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have figured it out but it is a very complex Modular creation.
It requires 7 x Modular patches just to have a monophonic and 4 voice polyphonic accompaniment.
1 x for SE-1 patterns, 1 x for LFOtoMIDI SE-1 control.
4 x for Prowave polyphonic patterns, and 1 x for LFOtoMIDI Prowave control.

The Prowave version would use 4 x monophonics patterns that would be used for 4 seperate intervals of a chordal structure. They could also have staggered, and random rhythms. The staggered rhythms are reminsicient of SpaceF's LBH series of devices.
The 4 seperate instances using Roys Piano roll modules also have glide per note which could all have 4 x different glide amounts which mimics a real analog synth and has some really incredible variations.
This is a giant programming experience for me though. The building of the patches was a chore, the foresight of programming the patterns so that they can be used as chords is a massive chore, but I think this could be a really unique live performance tool.
I also can incorporate Wolfs MIDI Chordizer and 16/32 Step sequencers once I get the Modular concepts dialed in.

Even if I find this too complex to use live it was a great programming experience.
We are quite lucky to have a guy like Roy making new modules, as each new version has improvements on the original CW and also his earlier version as well.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

seems like there should be a simpler way to do it.

I have some ideas using Arpeg02 (since it already captures incoming MIDI notes just fine) and some filters.

Next step would be to find some step sequence delay - maybe Wolf's matrix.

Greg
dawman

Post by dawman »

Also check out Advanced Clock and Classic Filter Delay by Hifiboom.
Wolf and SpaceF have some really advanced delays. Echo35 and Matrix Delay are sick.