Preset Bug

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

julian

Preset Bug

Post by julian »

hello everyone!

could you give me some details about the modular preset bug?
maybe it's time to finally fix some things! ;)

as far as I see it (from personal experimentation with the modular and some planetZ posts), the problem is that modules added after the preset file was made are ignored. further allready existing modules are ignored sometimes after they where working for a while (preset wise, like the mix8 problem reported in another modular bug thread)? is this correct?

so far I couldn't reproduce the bug where even moving an existing module destroyed the compatibility.
the same goes for not readable preset files. whatever I did, the modIII still was able to read the preset file, at least restoring the parameters from the modules that existed when the .pre file was created. it just generated a "only 70% compatible..." warning message but loaded ok.

so would the preset bug considered fixed, when you could add/remove/modify your patch and still save presets remembering all parameters or is there more about it?

best regards,
julian
eliam

Re: Preset Bug

Post by eliam »

The preset bug afflicted only certain users, so if everything works alright for you, then your system might be immune to it. On my part, everything seemed to work fine after I updated the mix 8 module, but I did not conduct extensive testing. All I know is after the update the presets were correctly recalled while they weren't before, on the patch I was using at that moment.
borg

Post by borg »

Come on, folks...

Here we have a SC team member coming to Z, looking for help to fix a bug that has been around for years...

Some issues (like being on OS9 (Flexor crashing once in a while, sample pool problems, missing functionalities, the preset bug...), lack of time to gain knowledge kept me from being a modular poweruser... but I see a bright future if this modular works bug free on a laptop, preferably a MBP :D
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

hey, thanks for bumping this thread borg (and for posting julian).
so what about a general Modular bug thread? I'm in!
1. the so-called Preset bug IMHO never was a bug, if you've read the manual.
Mod2 manual, p.6, says:
>>Note: When you store a modular preset, it applies only to the current modules loaded and their wiring. Changes to the modules or their connections can lead to unpredictable results. For example, if you replace one module with another, there will be no settings in the preset for the new module. To use the preset after replacing a module, you have to save it again. This means you should save presets only after the modules and their interconnections are finalized.<<
2. some buggy modules:
-multisegment Env, multisegment EnvB : presets cannot be recalled. really sad, because otherwise these modules are first-class.
-xyPan&Control : no output (audio and control) on out D.
-MIDI in module : "MIDI Channel" and "MIDI Out" text select isn't disabled > if you accidentally click on these, you cannot move this module in the Modular container (no bug, but annoying)
anything else?
julian

Post by julian »

1. the so-called Preset bug IMHO never was a bug, if you've read the manual.
Mod2 manual, p.6, says:
>>Note: When you store a modular preset, it applies only to the current modules loaded and their wiring. Changes to the modules or their connections can lead to unpredictable results. For example, if you replace one module with another, there will be no settings in the preset for the new module. To use the preset after replacing a module, you have to save it again. This means you should save presets only after the modules and their interconnections are finalized.<<
yes, so far thats correct. But I think the preset bug is something different. when i save a patch as device and modify it after reopening, i'm not able to get the parameters of the new added modules to be saved. it makes no difference if i use the old preset list or create a new one. only the parameters that were present in the device before closing it the 1st time are saved. can anybody confirm this?
2. some buggy modules:
ok thanks, i'll have a closer look at this
edit: ok, i just checked out the mentioned modules and can reproduce the bugs...

i had a quick search in the forum for other modular bugs, but didn't found something special. there is this Mod III shell UI bug
(http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... odular+bug) mentioned, but i can't reproduce it so i think it has been fixed before (posting is really old)

so if you know of some other show stoppers with the modular i'd be happy to know them too ;)

cheers,
julian
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

i had a quick search in the forum for other modular bugs, but didn't found something special. there is this Mod III shell UI bug
(viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14645&hilit=modular+bug) mentioned, but i can't reproduce it so i think it has been fixed before (posting is really old)
..hm, no. the described bug (Scope crashes when moving a module) happens to me from time to time (eg some hours ago :evil: ). the longer the cables and/or the bigger the patch, the more likely it happens - no matter if Mod2 or ModIII is used.
my workaround is: "hide complete routing" before moving a module. in this situation the bug never occured.
julian

Post by julian »

i'll have another look on the module move bug. ;)

edit: ok - bug is confirmed. i managed to reproduce it.
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Can't tell you how encouraging it is to see the presence of a S|C developer on these forums. Good luck with your bug hunting.

Ben

PS What happened to Gizzmo?
julian

Post by julian »

Ben Walker wrote:Can't tell you how encouraging it is to see the presence of a S|C developer on these forums. Good luck with your bug hunting.

Ben

PS What happened to Gizzmo?
Gizzmo is still in the pipeline.
but 1st our energy is put in scope 5.0.
as far as for the bug hunt - i just can say it was very rewarding so far ;-)

julian
julian

Post by julian »

borg wrote:sample pool problems,
what are these sample pool problems?
are they adressing the sampleOsc and drumSampleOsc not loading waves?

julian
borg

Post by borg »

what can I say, Julian?

I have 36 DSPs collecting dust in an old G3, I bought an old and big house, very nice, but lots of work, the studio is coming, I can feel that :)
so I'm making music in a bedroom corner on a laptop and headphones for more than a year now.

It's too long ago to remember specifics. I remember trying to load all kinds of wave files in the sample osc (16bit mono and stereo, 24 bit...) but all with a negative result (can't rember what error message exactly).
It's not hard work at all to set up the scope computer (still use it occasionally for guitar or bass recordings), so I can try some stuff out, maybe you can suggest some specifics to look at... but, mind you, this is still mac OS9...

Now, if SC would release that OSX version and the express card connection, so I can test it on the MBP I got almost a year ago, anticipating Xite... :D
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

are they adressing the sampleOsc and drumSampleOsc not loading waves?
the "up-to-date" SampleOsc version (08.07.2002) does not react on preset change = does not load the appropriate samples.
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

oh, and some other thingies:
-all delay modules except the standard delay have wrong delay timing except the slowest ULLI setting is used.
see here http://www.planetz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20508 and here http://www.cwmodular.org/html/delaytiming.html
-longDelay: if external Freq is used and altered, the module outputs no fx signal (just dry signal)
-SSB Delay: negative FB is not working
-Decimator: Bit rate OnOff button is not working
-clockDivider & clockDividerB: Out2 provides incorrect/unstable MidiCLock signals
-all Switch(Gain) modules: incorrect values when remote-controlled via MidiCC#
-WaldorfOSC: after loading, no output until a different wavetable is selected
-Modular container window, adding a new module in "Exclusive Show Mode" (S) : If another module was already positioned there, it will be shifted downward (as will any other modules directly below it) to make space for the new one. ok, but the patch cabels now are misplaced.
Janni

Post by Janni »

Thanks for that work, Julian and Roy!!!
-/-
julian

Post by julian »

roy thinnes wrote:oh, and some other thingies:
-all Switch(Gain) modules: incorrect values when remote-controlled via MidiCC#
what do you mean by incorrect values?
I just tried to remote controll the 8x1 switch(gain) by MIDI and it worked like it should.
I could controll the gain knob as well as the selection switch with a midi pot without problems.

i can confirm the other bugs.
thanks for the report!

julian
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

all knobs are responding to CC#, but only knob1 is actually changing the output value.
in detail: eg if you assign cc#1 to knob1, cc#2 to knob2, output val changes only when switched to >1<, not at any other switch state. respectively, only knob1 will change the output value, although the module has switch state >2< (meaning knob2 should change the output value).
julian

Post by julian »

ok - now it is clear and i could reproduce it :)
thanks
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

I had problems when first using modular with presets. I had osc's and envelopes (see original post here: http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24135) not recalling when loading presets. I was instructed to build my synth connect nothing then save it, make preset and save it, then connect cables. This did work, unfortunately you have to build your synth twice, once to mess around to see if you are getting what you want, then again to make presets work. You should be able to build, connect everything, change out parts and when happy save it, make a preset list and twiddle away, but it doesn't work that way for me. A fix would be great, good to see you working towards it, I just came across this thread, thanks Julian.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Seeing as Mod IV release is very near thought it would be a good time to bump this one.
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Reading this post, I wanted to mention that I noticed the bug where the Multisegment envelope does not react correctly with presets (and this was a problem with the sub-module itself, in my devices as well as the Modular) is fixed when using Scope 5. It has to do with the graphic object used to show the segments (it's also used in things like key level/key track modules). IT was one of the first things I checked, since it's been so frustrating for me in my own device use.

cheers,
john b.