Mod 2 or Mod III ?

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

grappa

Mod 2 or Mod III ?

Post by grappa »

Following Roy's posting of the Mod tutorials I'm committed to finally making some headway this darn thing!

Should I be using Mod 2 or III and if so why?

You're probably gonna get sick of my posts over the coming months so I'll apologise up front :) - I have decided that no question is too stupid and it's better to ask, and risk the chance of being branded a fool (again), than to keep quiet. I do not intend to kick myself for giving up again!

Si
netguyjoel

Re: Mod 2 or Mod III ?

Post by netguyjoel »

Mod II for roy's tutorials

The upgrade to 5.0 will give you Modular II and III
Joel
dawman

Post by dawman »

Mod III has always been there.
I relate well to Grappa's statement.
I have never been very good with Modular due to the varied opinions of developers and SDK guys.
Most of the patches avid users provide in the Modular patch thread are for Mod II/Flexor.
I use to ask the same quations and would get many different views which just confused my lame ass. Hence, my lack of use. I did use and tweak patches that came with Flexor III because they were the types of pads and leads I was interested in using.
All this is going to change with the next Modular package I am assuming, but there's no reason to not learn Modular better now as Roy's tut's are an enhancement to Modular, and add Assaf's well written manual for Flexor III has provided so many helpful examples.
I love the forum for asking certain questions, but when asking about Modular......fawgeddabowditt.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Grappa

Please feel free to ask the most stupidest of questions about using/programming the modular.
Ask as often as you like and it really doesn't matter how simple it is.

I'm dying to know the answers and have never dared ask, so I look forward to your questions and other people's answers
:D
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

There is no such thing as a stupid question...only some answers are stupid... :wink:
Joel
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Mod IV !!! :D
johndunn

Post by johndunn »

I like Modular III because the presets are consistent with the rest of Scope (and for me a lot easier to use), and because of that great 16 knob remote. When you've more or less finished a patch, pick the main "key frame" controls and assign and label them, and then forevermore you have a patch you can remember and adjust without getting lost in the patchcords. I wish the real modulars could have had something like that.

What I really don't like about both modular 2 and 3 is the panel graphics. They are a bad case of form over function, a poor upgrade from the very readable, highly functional modular 1 graphics, to the mod 2 & 3 look with panel labels that blend into the background and are almost impossible to read.

But it all looks moot with Modular IV coming around the bend. It looks fantastic, and the labels are contrast enough to actually read them once again, and the new module additions look ultra cool. So I'd say, Roy's mod 2 tutorials aside, do your original patches in Mod 3, then ASAP make the jump to Mod 4 and be happy with that. I'm counting the days.
-jd
Algorithmic Arts
http://algoart.com
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

I agree with you John, the Mod III MRC is really a smart tool.
You can setup your own "device" without diving in the SDK and can also customize a daily use user interface with the Help of the MRC.
One thing though is that MRC is a bit too small for me as I have 2 BCR2000 for direct hardware control, so I kind of prefer Sharc's BCM instead.
It would be great if they rework and extend the MRC for the Mod IV

CheerZ
Last edited by HUROLURA on Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

HUROLURA wrote:One thing though is that MRC is a bit too small for me as I have 2 BCR2000 for direct hardware control, so I kind of prefer ShroomZ' BCM instead.
It was sharc who made BCM mate. He just used those berry-style GFX I had made (with my permission of course), so my involvement was practically zero. :wink:
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Edited...

Sorry for the mistake :D