Mouth Harps & Vocoders @ CMA Nashville

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Mouth Harps & Vocoders @ CMA Nashville

Post by dawman »

I painfully had to wade throught the usual boring JoeBob music in search of a Mouth Harp performance and was pleased to hear one. They even had a Vocoder w/ vocal blended.
It was Alan Jackson which I actually dislike, but they play live instead of pretending, and I enjoy the talented players he has, and the sound of a real B3 is always a joy.
The MouthHarp sounds so cool but I can't find a decent sounding VSTi anywhere.
This one is the best, and it really sucks IMHO.
http://www.goodkarma.ru/jewharp.rar

I doubt anyone here has ever tried to do this in Modular, but I would appreciate a few tips from a Modular GuRu on which modules I might try and use to emulate this nifty little instrument.
I have tried for a week using Formant Filters and Tube / Comb variations to no avail.

I really need spmething that has an Elastic or rubberband type sound.

Thanks.
Mary Mungo

Re: Mouth Harps & Vocoders @ CMA Nashville

Post by Mary Mungo »

This would be an interesting mod to play around with, I hope you have success.
Acoustic tinkering thinking
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thank You Sista' Women Mary,

I shall make sure to share the " Bluegrass Synth " with you.
I have heard these sounds since childhood as I am fond of tradional Bluegrass music, but it never dawned on me until I heard this kid dancing around jamming on one to D & B grooves at the Club, of it's possibilities.
Hakim's Razor I Suppose Allpies Here.
Mary Mungo

Post by Mary Mungo »

It has a name! - Development is obviously coming along inspiringly :)

Thanks for the offer of sharing, I'm looking forward to playing with it.

PlanetZ and Scope developers make this a top platform for innovation :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Slightly of topic and I apologise, but SpaceF's SDX synth does the basic sound immediately w/ some BP / Comb & Tube Filters w/ a little bit of ADSR treatments. But in Modular Flexor III's Elastic module w/ multiple LFO's is looking pretty sweet.
Mary Mungo

Post by Mary Mungo »

Stardust - Pack it in! Is this the only way for you to reach 11000 posts?
dawman

Post by dawman »

:lol: ..................Ladies & Gentlemen, Sista' Woman Mary.

Hey I am having fun trying to get this in Modular.
I have the basics, but it really needs Offsets on the LFO's and experimenting w/ more Filter combinations w/ the RDII's, SpaceF, Flexor III and SDK.
Here's what I have so far, w/ a small snippet of some Hendrix polysynth shit. The mp3 eliminates some of the rich harmonics, but the basic sound can still be heard.
I should have a final patch by this weekend.

Cheers.
Mary Mungo

Post by Mary Mungo »

Jews Harp Billy courtesy of the Greene Brothers
Mary Mungo

Post by Mary Mungo »

stardust wrote:JV is not sharing anymore now
Ah, Stardust, after my hastiness it appears you were right after all.
Apparently, JV's got his hands full :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26516
Merry Christmas
Mary Mungo

Post by Mary Mungo »

Hey JV, does this help you find inspiration?

Peter Drake

Wikipedia says:
His innovative use of what would be called the "talk box", later used by Peter Frampton, Joe Walsh and Jeff Beck, added novel effects to the pedal steel guitar. The album Pete Drake and His Talking Steel Guitar, harkened back to the sounds of Alvino Rey and his wife Luise King, who first modulated a guitar tone with the signal from a throat microphone in 1939. The unique sound of the talk box with a steel guitar was new in the 1960s, and it made the sounds of vocalizing along with the strings of the steel guitar.
"According to an interview of Pete Drake "You play the notes on the guitar and it goes through the amplifier. I have a driver system so that you disconnect the speakers and the sound goes through the driver into a plastic tube. You put the tube in the side of your mouth then form the words with your mouth as you play them. You don't actually say a word: The guitar is your vocal cords, and your mouth is the amplifier. It's amplified by a microphone."

I don't seriously suggest or hope that in order to utilise your Jaw Harp a tube is strapped from the Scope card to the mouth, I'd much rather the use of a vocoder module, this link is merely for the rekindling of inspiration. Happy building :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

My lack of true Modular programming abilities caused me to take the easy way out.
I did get some decent presets in every synth and patch w/ the RDII Modules and Flexor RD II Modules w/ +24 BP Filters, but opted for the easy way out and got Celmo's TalkBox.
This is the best sounding option.
SpaceF made a really nice bunch of presets in LBH VIII also. But at the end of the day, the Human element won.
I bit off more than I could chew thinking I would be able to this in Modular, some things are better left for the Pro's.
I haven't had time to dissect and try some of Roy's and Creamware's Vocoder modules, but when I get my head on straight and have a month's vacation in Februrary I shall try and educate myself more w/ Modular.
But this was an excellent fast fix that came in time for the NFR chaps that flooded the property for a week.