Continuous Sine Wave Glissando

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Marzipan

Continuous Sine Wave Glissando

Post by Marzipan »

Just wondering if anybody can help, I've had Scope for a long time but have not really used the Modular very much, apart from occasionally tweaking a few presets. I'm trying to learn how to use it properly, and I'm a bit stuck on something, apologies if this is very basic... Hopefully I'll become more proficient soon and be able to post some more interesting stuff! :wink:

I'm trying to control the pitch of a sine wave continuously, or near enough that it sounds continuous. After that I'm planning to use a MIDI controller to sweep through pitches within a certain range. I know the controller would be only 1-128, but if I'm sweeping through an interval of an octave or less that should be near enough to sound continuous?

At the moment when I modify the pitch of the Sine Wave Oscillators, you can obviously hear the transition between semitones. This contrasts with my Nord modular G2: with the Nord if you're sweeping really quickly with the mouse it sounds more or less continuous (but you still hear the transitions when sweeping slowly, so it's not really much good). Also on the Nord the Sine Oscillator already outputs a sound when loaded up, with the Modular I seem to have to attach a multi LFO to a pichModifier then to the sine OSC in order to hear a sound?

I also have Flexor, or if there's an easier way to achieve this with any of the other Synths I'd be interested (I have most of them, including 3rd party synths, apart from the very newest ones).

Thanks in advance!
dawman

Re: Continuous Sine Wave Glissando

Post by dawman »

As a last resort try Portamento, I believe Glissando is stepped even on my analog it is notched by notes.
If you really want some marvellous sounding Glissandos and Portamentos with simple waveform sounds take a peek at Celmos Classical Wave. Real sweet Star Trek sounding stuff.
I have a crappy demo here............
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 17&t=24914
Marzipan

Post by Marzipan »

Hi there, thanks for the response! It's really because I owed a friend some studio time, and he asked me if I could set up something for a composition he's attempting (he's really into experimental music). Basically he wants to start with a bank of loads of sine waves, and continuously vary the pitch of each one, then add chorus or something like that (I think he even has a score, but I'll find out the details when he gets here tomorrow!).

Anyway it's interesting that the Nord or Scope Modular have difficulty doing this sort of thing, I guess it's really not what they're designed for. Anyway I found out that Jean-Claude Risset started doing this sort of thing in the 60's, as well as his "Shepard-Risset glissando", the never-ending rising or falling effect (which has since been used among others by Pink Floyd, Queen, Robert Wyatt, Muse and in the never ending staircase part of the Nintendo Mario 64 game!!).

Anyway I fired up Max/MSP, (which I hadn't touched since college!), and managed to set this up in about 20 mins, with multiple sine waves (as many as you want) varying continuously in pitch, routed to different outputs. Probably not a coincidence that Risset was using a primitive precursor to Max, known as Music IV.

The patch is very basic but I think that's what he needs. Also found a demo patch that does Shepard-Risset glissandi, and allows you to tweak the starting note, rising or falling, etc. etc. Pretty cool stuff! :wink:

Bye for now.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »