flexor ramp module in bpm mode

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

sherlock

flexor ramp module in bpm mode

Post by sherlock »

hi all!

I want to use the ramp module to sync a hyper note seq module to a cubase project. cubase tempo is 125 bpm and modular is synced at a ramp bpm value of 114 bpm. why?

thx in advance!
at0m

Re: FleXoR Ramp and ASIO

Post by at0m »

You could record a ramp of the same BPM to a Cubase track. Set the Ramp to 125 BPM and make sure its Mode is set to BPM. You may have to adjust (edit in sample editor) it a little bit, but a jump from 125 to 114? Then send it out to a mono ASIO bus that is not on a monitor! Send the ASIO ramp source to patches of your liking.

I like to record a long ramp, then divide it into locally applicable ramp lenghts inside different patches, shape it for modulation, etc :) If you use an "External Source" and save it as Ramp Source, you can insert that Ramp Source into any patch without losing any if the shell's inputs!

Hope this helps.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
nightscope

Re: FleXoR Ramp and ASIO

Post by nightscope »

at0m wrote:Ramp
I've been wanting to do this for a bit but never got round to it. Is a "ramp" a saw wave? How would I make one in the host and have it sync up correctly?

:-?

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
next to nothing

Re: flexor ramp module in bpm mode

Post by next to nothing »

Nightscope, i never did this myself, but from what atom says you can probably route a flexor ramp module directly to an audio out of the modular shell, and from the modular modules audio out to an asio input of a sequencer, and record. both shoud be set at the same BPM.

now you will probably end up with a wave that is the ramp. you could probably then route that audio from the audiotracks asio out and into the audio input of the modular module you want to control, and use the modular shells audio in as a ramp source.

im just guessing though, i might be horribly wrong :D

atom wil probably explain it better :)
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

next to nothing wrote:i might be horribly wrong :D
This is the nightmare scenario. :P

However, it sounds good to me. I'm thinking, how would I get the ramp to kick off the sequencer in Mod 3 at the right time? Would I have to slide the newly created ramp back and forth in the host track until it's OK?

I did get some advice from eliam way back when in an attempt to get the "Virtual Percussion" patch going. Very nice patch, noodles away in background. Well, it would noodle if I could get the flamin' thing synced up with the host. I couldn't figure out how to replace the ramp module with the ramp track. Being rampantly ignorant about ramps.

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23230

Anyway, over the last year, I'm slowly developing a plan. I'm not entirely clear what it is yet. But the "Virtual Percussion" patch will go down the ramp, out on the runway and fly.

One day. Patience is a virtual. I'm not a mod synth man.

ns
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

I want to use the ramp module to sync a hyper note seq module to a cubase project. cubase tempo is 125 bpm and modular is synced at a ramp bpm value of 114 bpm. why?
I think I don't know what your question is here- do you say that (though you set the ramp tempo to 125) the actual ramp tempo is 114?
have you set the ramp module to "knob" or "ext" instead of "bpm"? :-?
at0m

Post by at0m »

A Ramp is basically a saw up oscillator. Think analog sequencers. FleXoR sequencing is like ol' skool analog, but with near mathematical perfection.

There's different ways on getting one on a sequencer track: record a FleXoR Ramp straight out of modular, use Soundforge's internal synthesis engine, etc.

I can't repeat enough how much I love having a 32 or 16 bars ramp on an ASIO track, an External Source in different patches and modulate and divide the ramp signal inside the patch as a Master Ramp. Play with a couple variations (32>8 bars, inverted=reversed,...) on different tracks or on the same track, and be amazed on what comes popping out of your patches.

The only moments I can think of right now I'd want a Ramp module inside each sequencer patch, is when
  • any note should retrigger the sequence, or
  • I want to modulate the pitch of the sequencer at will using a MIDI slider or so on freq modulation or
  • when I'm not using a native sequencer at all. In this occasion, I'd also use one master control patch inside the project, with in that patch a long 32 bars Ramp and a couple shapers splitting it up in a few 4 or 8 bar loops

Does this clarify some things, or does it feel like you're getting dizzy? :roll:
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

at0m wrote:Does this clarify some things, or does it feel like you're getting dizzy? :roll:
Yes, mighty at0m of Flexor. More clear and less dizzy, for sure. Thanks very much for the tips. Gives me the much needed clues on how and when to use the ramp in a patch and when to use it in the host. I really just need to start trying the options out. At now least I have an elementary understanding of the technology. Which is definite progress. :)

Onward!!

ns
sherlock

Post by sherlock »

Thanks a lot for your posts!

Finally, I had the time to implement your suggestions.

Recording a ramp could really be a nice way to sync several modular patches! But again a ramp signal with either a bpm value of 125 bpm, an external frequency from a midi clock module with an internal bpm value of 125 bpm or even synced to the midi clock signal of the sequencer (cubase, tempo 125 bpm of course) results in a ramp that is "too fast". With a bpm value of 114 bpm, the ramp signal is synced to cubase running with 125 bpm. So the tempo voodoo remains.

Second problem: I want to retrigger the sequence with any note. This exclusively works with a short pause between two notes. Otherwise the sequence continues as there was only one continuous note.

:-?
pling

Post by pling »

check samplerate.

125*44.1/48= 114,84375 => 114.00 should also be out of sync

in flexor3 there is ramp2 module. it allows to sync itself to 32/44.1/48/96
sherlock

Post by sherlock »

Ahhhhhhhh! :o I thought the current samplerate is considered.

Many thanks!!! This solves both problems as the retriggering works fine with ramp mk2, too.

Juhu! :D