modular ducker

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

tomylee

modular ducker

Post by tomylee »

hello, is it a bug that you can hear the sidechain signal when input to the sicechain input of a ducker module in modular III?

IT seems very strange, well maybe this would be needed in radio etc, but I dont want to hear the sidechain signal...hmm..
tomylee

Post by tomylee »

ok I could take a compressor sicechain instead....but I was wondering if the ducker has different curves...
Lima

Post by Lima »

I don't know if it has a different curve (I don't belive it's different anyway) but you could make a simple test loading one device for each type, connecting them one side to the same source and the other side to different channels of your mixer and then reading the meters.

Varying the level of the source you could control the response.

:-)
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

maybe you used wrong values for thresh and/or ratio? if Sci should totally supress In signal, use -60 for thresh, and inf:1 for ratio.
tomylee

Post by tomylee »

yes it does, but the signal fed to the sc input is audible, well, it gets mixed with the signal to be duck-ed
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

this is strange. when you load this patch, do you hear the synth sound when the vocal is played?
Attachments
ducker.zip
patch (+dsp files for syncStation if needed)
(380.41 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
tomylee

Post by tomylee »

no, but the voice is audible ;)
tomylee

Post by tomylee »

what a psychedelic patch :))

uhm, well, I dont always want to hear the signal which is used to control the dynamic of another. In the STM24/48 mixer you dont hear the signal either, which is fine, I was just wondering how the ducker would sound, but to my ear they sound at least very similar - so - its no big deal, my problem is just that the signal fed to the sc-in is being mixed to the ducked signal...well, it mixes it, when doing voiceovers this is fine, but not when experimentig with all kinds of ducking signals...
borg

Post by borg »

You could phase invert the signal going to the sidechain... just as a modular experiment.
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
tomylee

Post by tomylee »

I expected some phase cancellation approach in the patch from roy thinnes

but I tried it now and it cant work since the sc input is mono, and cancelling the voice by inversion of course gives complete silence ;)
at0m

Post by at0m »

tomylee wrote:ok I could take a compressor sicechain instead....but I was wondering if the ducker has different curves...
A ducker and a compressor have a totally different function, as explained in their manual. Apart from the basic parameters, they have a different routing.

Maybe that's causing your confusion? AFAIK, they both work just fine...
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
tomylee

Post by tomylee »

yes, I thought it wouldbe just that little different routing thing...I just wanted to try that modular ducker anyway...