Flexor Virtual Percussion Query

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

nightscope

Flexor Virtual Percussion Query

Post by nightscope »

Flexorians Of Scope,

I'm seeking a little advice on using one of the patches that comes with Flexor 3, if anyone could kindly help.

The patch is the "Virtual Percussion" one. I want to use a tweaked version of this patch with a track. All I want to know is how to get it in sync with my sequencer. At the moment I have the sound I want but it is already doing it's own thing timewise when I open the patch.

I am obviously a modular noobite so any tips would be much appreciated.

ns
eliam

Post by eliam »

Does the patch have a sequencer module? If so, one way of doing it is to feed the modular sequencer with a ramp signal from an audio track in your main sequencer. Basically a ramp is a saw up wave, which you stretche to match exactly 1 bar -or whatever you wish, and loop it indefinitely. You can alter it in the modular with a ramp divider module. Your modular sequencer will then sync perfectly.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

eliam wrote:Does the patch have a sequencer module? If so, one way of doing it is to feed the modular sequencer with a ramp signal from an audio track in your main sequencer. Basically a ramp is a saw up wave, which you stretche to match exactly 1 bar -or whatever you wish, and loop it indefinitely. You can alter it in the modular with a ramp divider module. Your modular sequencer will then sync perfectly.
It has no seq module. A does have a ramp module which is in BPM mode. I shall try your ideas out.

Thanks, eliam, you've given me a few handy clues to get this one working. Very helpful.

ns
eliam

Post by eliam »

Great! Then replace the ramp module by the ramp track as I described and whatever was synced to the internal ramp will then be in perfect sync with your sequencer's ramp track.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

OK. I will do so. Thanks, again. :)

ns
roy thinnes

Re: Flexor Virtual Percussion Query

Post by roy thinnes »

hi!
sorry for the late reply, I came across it just because you linked it in another thread.
1. Flexor's and most of cwm (not stock creamware) sequencer modules work the following way:
gate generating module (use a MVC module) -> Ramp GateIn (don't forget to connect MVCesync to MVC gateIn)
RampOut -> [SeqModule]RampIn
2. if you connect the Ramp as described above, and send note messages from your host seq to the Mod patch, the Ramp (and so the connected Seq modules)will restart everytime a note message is received.
3.to specify the tempo of the Ramp module, you have three options:
ext.Frq (connect eg a freq divider module to extFreq in of the Ramp; for more complex patches)
BPM (easiest for syncing to a host seq)
knob (text input or knob; =>noodles/experimental)
4. the procedure eliam described (audio signal from host seq) is not a must, just an option.
actually, I would not recommend it if you don't know exactly what you're doing resp. are not familiar with the Modular synth.
just use the Ramp as described in 1, 2 and 3.
5. the Virtual Perc patch has a Ramp module which tempo is modulated (FM input is connected to a pulse LFO), to simulate a more "human", not machine style rhythm. so you cannot "sync" it exactly to the host Seq tempo (just disconnect the pulseLfo to get a perfect sync).
hope that helps. :)
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

roy thinnes wrote:hi!
Hi Roy,

I am awash with info on this issue as at0m also waded in with the cavalry in the other post. Many thanks for taking the time to explain in such detail, especially the specific info on the Virtual Perc patch. I could have been in there for days and not figured that out. I am at Jack & Jill, The Cat Sat On The Mat level with Modular and your precise tips on what exactly to use is gold dust. All this is going in my Mod dossier and then into battle.

Great stuff!!

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

nightscope wrote:gold dust

We have the Virtool Percoonist awn line. In sync and doin' it's thang!! A massive big yabba dabba do to Roy, at0m and the supporting cast of thousands from Planet Z who have made this all possilble.

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”