modular rapture (some new modules)

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

- when set manual note - store OK
- if use random button note parameter not stored ( default value c2 )
Kamil, don't forget that you always can save presets of this module.
same random elements for GateSEQ - will be great
I thought about that, too. let's see if I can handle it.
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

two new modules.
NoteSeqCwm: compact note sequencer, with sophisticated random section. you can select up to 8 note values to be randomized.
GateSeqCwmMkIIr: random function added.
JLS

Post by JLS »

modules with random triger is great for generative music - please do more other modules with random elements :-)

Very THANKS this modification

Kamil
JLS

Post by JLS »

Hi Roy

- is possible to make wavetable oscilator like MIII WavetableOSC but with modulated source for wave type ? ( like my Waldorf Q) - without first noise

- and multifilter module like MIII polyFilter but with modulated source for filter type ( like my Korg Radias) - zero mod. value is thru filter

Kamil
dawman

Post by dawman »

WOW !!

I came back to Modular to see these.

Thank You Sir. I have a DSP farm just for mixing and Modular. This should keep me busy for months to come.
JLS

Post by JLS »

Hi Roy

Not news about your phenomenal modules ?

:-)

Kamil
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

absolutely! please check your PMs. :)
JLS

Post by JLS »

THANKS

your PM :-)
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

hullo!
still some modular lovers in here? somebody gently murmuring yes?
ok, anyway, I think I've got something for you.
This time it's not just some modules. Not another random beverage generator with coke, tea and coffee outputs or something. No, it's something different, and so far unseen in the ScopeModular terrain: the mighty CWMorph module engine. This is something I wanted for a long time.
Morph in this context means:
- changing multiple parameters at the push of one button, thus creating a "set" of parameters (I call it "snap[shot])
- having a memory which can store 8 snaps. There is a copy function so you can start a new snap with the control values of the snap you edited before.
- of course the ability to fade between these parameter snaps.
- for creating sound sculptures, having a kind of time control to "navigate" through the snapshots.
You can morph between as many module parameters as you want. Only your dsp and cpu power, and your imagination, is the limit. Btw, dsp+cpu demand is low, no fear.

quite good. so what's in stock and how to use it?
you see a Lp, cf and reso controlled by a ControlUnit4 module ,whose outputs 1 and 2 are connected to the according inputs of the filter.
the lower potis ("StartVal") define the control values which are sent to the filter. you can choose between uni and bipolar (the latter eg for xfade modules).
with the middle potis ("dezip") the fadeTime is determined. there also is a +/- button; if "-" is selected, fadeTime is set to a minimum.
the potis above them just show the actual sent output.
-hm--, but where's the morph?
on the left side of the ControlUnit module (behind the patch cabling :grin: ), right from "curent snap" there is a number "1". if you edit that number, typing "2", another snap 2 will be evoked. tweak the start values again, thus defining cf and reso of the filter, and after that recall snap 1. see?
but instead of typing in numbers, you should use the MorphSwitch module. if connected as shown, the snaps of all connected ControlUnits with all of their respective controls will be switched.
instead of turning the MorphSwitch poti by hand, you should use a midiCC to do that, if you have a hardware midiController available.
-what's these buttons below "link&lock" for?
click on the first (above"2") , and you'll see it will change into an arrow sign. after you've done that, again change the start val for cf and reso. when you switch to snap2 again, you see that it has the same values as snap1. so now it's a copy of snap1. the intention is that if you have many morph parameters, you probably want to start with values of a snap which already sounds good, and morph them to another snap which shouldn't be totally different. so you don't have to build all up from scratch again.
in short: lock = keep settings, link = use same settings as snap before.
the pads below (1 -8 ) pass over the link/lock status to other ControlUnits.
-I don't wanna use midiCC, I just wanna play and hear the sound evolving over time!
ok, delete the MorphSwitch and load the MorphTimeControl and MorphSwitchMod modules, and connect them as shown below.
this way the snaps are switched over time. you can edit the time between the snaps. btw, it's based on async dspModules, hence it is not for time-critical situations. but that's no seq module at all. you can loop it though, so snap 1 follows after snap 8 again.

last not least I've made some sound generating modules especially designed for the morph engine, eg the FilterBank
which have no controls at all - just audio in/outputs and inputs for the ControlUnits.
Stay tuned, as some more morph modules will come more sooner than later,

so have fun with it! morph it up!

ps thanks kamil for betatesting! and of course for the patches!
sharc

Post by sharc »

Nice one Roy 8)

I like the new look BTW
Lima

Post by Lima »

still some modular lovers in here?
PRESENT!!! :-)

Roy, your work is excellent and I'm very annoyed to be so much busy these days that I can't try in deep your modules. :-(
Keep the good/excellent/marvellous work flowing!
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Sunday can longer be a day of rest. It has to be a day of Modular!
Many thanks 8)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha' Man Roy Thinnes,

I am confused slightly.

I wish to download everything this thread has spawned.

Is the link for everything on page 1 have all of the dsp files and updates, or is there something at your site that has a whole download?

Thanks For An Astounding Amount Of Stuff, :wink:
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

you're right Jimmy.
I updated the zip files. thanks for the hint!
some new files:
ChaosGenerator, algorithm by JLS. with the right settings (esp. for C and max), you can get interesting rhythms out of this tool.
(thanks JLS for the Mandelbrot grafic :) )
CWMorph LfoA is basically a LfoA without controls (besides wave selector and retrigger button), for the CWMorph engine. there is also a simple freq divider (freq x1/freq x 0.01).
constValCWM and ValMeterCwm. unified unipolar/bipolar modules. I promise that's the last modules I've made of this kind. all previous versions are obsolete.
and two bugfixes:
ControlUnit4 - val input in bipolar mode was working incorrectly.
GateSeqCwmMkIIR - first gate step was faulty (thanks JLS for reporting this).
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

OMG, Roy, you are unstoppable. Those new modules look fantastic - you're producing them quicker than I can keep track of on my site! And, as ever, congrats to JLS for actually keeping up with you and your crazy ideas :wink:

I'll do my best to get the new modules up on my site a.s.a.p.

For those of you who've missed them, check out the hugely expanded list of modules in the first entry to this post.

Ben
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

Hi Ben & all,
yes, I confess: I'm a lazy poster :oops:. but as you may have noticed, there is a little message box on top of this threat, which I will update whenever some new stuff is uploaded. so if someone is interested in new modules, just drop by from time to time.
for example the new syncStation mkIV, which is IMHO rather complete, and a new vocal filter module, with ramp input and in EditCurve display to control the vowel filter crossfades over time. the proceeding of the connected ramp signal is displayed, for easy editing.
have fun!
Lima

Post by Lima »

Roy, incredible... thanks... :-D
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
cyril_g108

Post by cyril_g108 »

Santafe is a planetz member!!! :D
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

edit: some presets added for DrOscCwm and FmDrOscCwm.
if you've already d'lded the modules, just the presets:
http://www.cwmodular.org/presets/DrOscCwm.pre and
http://www.cwmodular.org/presets/FmDrOscCwmM.pre
Last edited by roy thinnes on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyril_g108

Post by cyril_g108 »

a very big thanks for those excellent drum modules.

C.