Good reasons not to buy Creamwares! read ! killer !

Have Scope hardware to sell or trade? NO DEALER POSTING ALLOWED.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ohmelas

Post by ohmelas »

DXL,

Let us all assume that Creamware in their business model decided to build a card that had DSP I/O and plug-in F/X. Let's also assume that they decided to open up a development platform that allowed 3rd Party people to develope products for this platform.

If this was their goal then they delivered on their product. I don't see how the difference between a 60Mhz SHARC chip is different than a 40Mhz ONYX chip or what ever DSP they are using on the Powercore if the end result is the same as a USER. :smile: Now Mr. DXL, if youre a developer, then we have a different story and Creamware and Pro Tools might be your cheif competitors. If that's the case then maybe you should check out the new Analog Devices development page. The new SHARC chips on the market are five times faster with a better instruction set dedicated to digital audio and roughs out at about 530 Mflops.

http://www.bittware.com/resources/SHARC/21160.htm

So, I guess instead of spending time with this forum you need to start looking for some capitol, take some computer classes or learn how to do DSP programming. Bit ware does sell a development platform for the SHARC, and then let's see what you come up with. Just how many hours do you think Creamware or Pro Tools has in their products? My goodness man, it seems so much EASIER to point the finger than do it yourself now doesn't it. After you're done here, maybe you should also look for a couple of programmers, buy a building and get crackin on that code. You'll need to subcontract a manufacturing company if you're not going to do it yourself and then you'll need a warehouse to distribute the product and this is all for starters.Who will sell your product dude?

Lastly, in regards to TC and Universal Audio. Again, they have developed a card. And funny, you're looking at the SHARC chip again talking megahertz. Silly you. Don't you know that the DSP design on the SHARC chip that creamware uses has SIMD architecture that's designed for digital audio---it's streamlined in pure 32-bit as well which is more efficient than other DSP designs. But for real, when you're buying into a platform you're also buying software dude, and that's a lot more than just chips. The Universal Audio and TC Powercore are in their infancy of development where were a good three generations into our platform and Pro Tools is in what version 5?

Well if you'd like to know more about the Motorolla Processor check here--note that its not as optimized in its instruction set or development tools as Creamware. Also note that its more for DVD and Dolby 5.1 than for Digital Audio. Also note that its only a 24-bit processor. You do the math Einstein. Of course you forgot to mention that Sounscape uses the same Motorola 56362 chip as well.

This is a development website using OS9:
http://www.microware.com/Products/Proce ... t8240.html

This is a chip Summary:
http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/si ... 2686813350

So DXL, you have your work cut out for you. For the rest of us we're happy with our Creamware. Thanks for your complaint though. Post your card and I'll buy it from you.
Howard Salter Dot Com
Musician, Marine Corpsman, and Father
Milwaukee, WI USA
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Phew ! :eek: Great info
at0m

Post by at0m »

On 2002-01-30 07:41, defex wrote:
DJ? wtf does a DJ need a pulsar for? just go up on stage and press play and take credit for other hard working MUSICIANS work.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: defex on 2002-01-30 07:53 ]</font>
Actually I'm planning to set one pc up as aid for my mate- DJ. I'd give hime Pc1600x, so he can add Phasers, Filters and other fx to his mix. The crowd must never have heard this before, although I know a DJ team here that does 'remixes' on stage. Very Cewl.
cannibal

Post by cannibal »

Come on people, you can't compare the operating frequencies of processors directly if they are based on a completely different architecture.

Well you can, but it doesn't reveal much of the actual power. It's a bit same as hmmm comparing value of something in two currencies only taking into account the face value of the currency unit... (£8 vs $10 = damn it's cheap in £££!) Yes I know, bad example but it was the best I could come up with now :smile:

To be honest, this whole discussion seems to me quite out of place in a forum where people who actually write music meet. Do you think Mozart et cetera always bought the newest grand model they could get their hands on?

Best regards,
cannibal
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

There were no Grand Pianos in Mozart's time.
Only Forte-pianos that sounded like the pianist was beating the strings with a squirrel..... :lol:

I think I may get the hang of this after all!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2002-02-19 13:23 ]</font>
cannibal

Post by cannibal »

Damn, you really got me there Paul :smile:
dxl

Post by dxl »

well, talking with you dealer are no use.
keep saying power, isn't the point
then we should all get ritout of the digital mixers, softwares.

everyone can wring their own songs in script, and inorder to listen to the music..... need to perform in live, just like the old time.

we pay money for power, for conviency.

and for the DSP, the creamware themselves admitt the speed, so it's fast 3 years ago. yet.........
again, time is changing.
now the softwares can sound the same as hardware effects, just the matter of programming, not the DSP,
of course different DSP need different way to program, just like Pentium4 have "SEE2".

we are young, we can't understand older people, because they will of course love Pulsar1 which it's another P3 750, yet at the mean time, P3 333 is the fastest CPU.
I'm still seeing new things in life.
<p><a href="http://mp3.com/dxl">www.mp3.com/dxl</a></p>
dblbass

Post by dblbass »

and your point is . . . ?
spacef

Post by spacef »

I agree you shouldn't buy any creamware card because that's too much competition for me, people with a pro sound quality inside and in the i/o, wicked devices, all in real time, etc... why can't i be the only one who use them ???!!!??? :wink:
myself, i would need a 20 Ghz pentium 8 to replace the pulsar

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spacef on 2002-02-22 06:27 ]</font>
mano

Post by mano »

what a thread!
Robert

Post by Robert »

I was just about to mutilate myself while reading this post, when the word Mozart caught my eye.
As it happens Beethoven DID want the latest up-to-the-minute piano. He wanted more bass, more range and more everything else. He knew the sort of sounds he wanted.
Just an aside, you can get back to arguing the toss about Creamware now.

Robert
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Beethoven would probably have thought this argument about the detailed technical specifications of various components ridiculous. It is the talk of technicians, not composers. His problems were rather more serious:

<i>Just how bad was Beethoven's plight? At first the malady was intermittent or so faint that it worried him only occasionally. but by 1801 he reported that a whistle and a buzz was constant. Low speech tones became an unintelligible hum, shouting became an intolerable din. Apparently the illness completely swamped delicate sounds and distorted strong ones. He may have had short periods of remission, but for the last ten years of his life he was totally deaf.</i>
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hey Spirit, thanks for your reply, but I think you are wrong. If you look at some of his piano music, the runs and arpeggios stop halfway up a modern keyboard.
He wanted more from a piano than was available, in fact, he got the British piano maker Broadwood to make a piano to his specifications. If you've ever heard people like Melvyn Tan or Paul Baruda-Skoda play his music on a piano circa. when it was written it's a bit different to a modern Steinway to say the least!
The point I'm trying to make, was that Beethoven KNEW that the old ways of composing and playing were not as good as he wanted and he tried hard to alter that fact.
In my opinion, that was why he's the greatest composer of all, not because he wrote the 'Moonlight' Sonata!

Robert
Robert

Post by Robert »

I doubled up here!
Sorry about that
Robert

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robert on 2002-02-23 02:02 ]</font>
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I understand your point Robert. But what I was trying to get across was that the results of his compositional skills are what survive to this day, not the exact equipment he used, or what it sounded like in his own house or even in his own ears.

And with this post I am a Pulsar Disciple. Somehow that seems right :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spirit on 2002-02-23 02:42 ]</font>
dxl

Post by dxl »

therefor, pulsar itself is very OK
but the company and programers SUCKS
slack and ideal, not responsible, mean, strange.

new people, buy it you will know what is so call worst pro audio company.
remixme

Post by remixme »

Im getting bored of this thread now, I mean the Job creamware has to do is huge.
Pulsar does not have a wide user base unlike other big names, yet is a very versatile card in an are where most other similiar concepts are dead in the water.
I mean the phrase 'Jack of all trades, master of none springs to mind'
But that is not exactly the case with pulsar as it excels at being versatile, especially with digital mixing and routing.

I mean lets say they hired more developers and more technical support. What would happen to the price of pulsar card it would almost certainly go up, and if it didn't go up Creamware would probably be out of business.

I mean the amount of really stupid questions the technical support probably has to deal with everyday, like the general stuff thats stated in the manual.

Or the stuff that simply arises from not having an optimised dedicated system.
I mean in comparison to most other audio companies I feel creamware are just about above average.

They are still providing software for a Pulsar card that is 4 years old. When cards such my Korg 1212, are not longer supported.
Not to mention the EMU APS, which has no 2K/xp drivers, apart from 10k2 independant programers.

DXl get used to it most customer support does suck? Becasue of the nature of the job they have to do.
I mean how would you feel after spending a day answering hundreds of stupid questions, and complaints. Probably only 50% of which are valid, and 25% are most likely down to the software package developers, steinberg, emagic, who simply do not communicate with creamware about what bugs are caused by what.
witchstar

Post by witchstar »

You know what?
I've spent over 3 years working in the audio industry, for MOTU, for Lexicon, and in my own consulting business, Electricsoul. I've spent 2 years + going through all types of computer and audio gear, tens of thousands of dollars worth, to try to find what's right for me. After all that, I now have a P4, Power Pulsar, Mackie 1202, Mackie HR824's, and Lexicon PCM 91, keyboard, and I'm all set.
'Nuff said.

Mark

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: witchstar on 2002-02-23 19:12 ]</font>
dxl

Post by dxl »

another boring story
you have the money, or u don't have to worry about the money.
powerpulsar is surely cool to have (15DSP)
and your PC configer is 99% match creamware's suggestion. yet, not everyone is that lucky as you.

you know what it's cooler to get UAT-1,TC poercore, (and you like the routin system) luna2
dxl

Post by dxl »

for the same amount or less MONEY i mean