Genuine Windows XP Home key: Free

Have Scope hardware to sell or trade? NO DEALER POSTING ALLOWED.

Moderators: valis, garyb

tlaskows

Genuine Windows XP Home key: Free

Post by tlaskows »

Hi guys,

I was working on fixing this old netbook but I think I broke it.

I have a genuine Windows XP key that came with it. If there are too many people interested, I will have to make a decision :) I am not sure who uses XP anymore hmm...

Cheers,

-Tom
Bud Weiser

Re: Genuine Windows XP Home key: Free

Post by Bud Weiser »

tlaskows wrote:Hi guys,

I was working on fixing this old netbook but I think I broke it.

I have a genuine Windows XP key that came with it. If there are too many people interested, I will have to make a decision :) I am not sure who uses XP anymore hmm...

Cheers,

-Tom
I´m using XP on 2 machines !
I´d like to get another key for Win XP Professional for a 3rd machine.
Is it Win XP pro ?

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Hi Bud Weiser,

It's home edition. I have no idea what the difference is between home and pro. I thought windows was windows. It all looks the same down here :lol:

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

This is a link that tells you the diffs,

The only important one seems to be that Pro supports more than 1 processor:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-xp/wind ... difference
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

tlaskows wrote:
The only important one seems to be that Pro supports more than 1 processor:
Yep,- I have a home version I don´t use here myself too and I have 2 pro versions in use.

I need a 3rd licence for dual-core/ quad core proc. and XP professional then is what I´m after ...

thx man

:)

Bud
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Oh cool,

I had no idea XP can work on something faster than a Celeron 2.0Ghz. hmm.

Windows 7 x64 has a hard time rocking 4 cores on my i7 4970k. I have 16GB of RAM and never run out for some reason. Thanks to my hardware ROMplers :)

-Tom
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

tlaskows wrote:Oh cool,

I had no idea XP can work on something faster than a Celeron 2.0Ghz. hmm.
You´re kidding,- aren´t you ?

Win XP Pro SP3 is all you need when running "old" machines w/ procs like Pentium Dual Core, Core2Duo or Core2Quad (D945 and Q6600 in my case).
Since years, the stock speed 3.4GHz D945 is o/c to 3.83 GHz, still runs cool and w/ DSPs/SCOPE & VST.
The Q6600 is slower per core, but better for streaming samples from multiple drives simultaneously.
tlaskows wrote: Windows 7 x64 has a hard time rocking 4 cores on my i7 4970k. I have 16GB of RAM and never run out for some reason. Thanks to my hardware ROMplers :)

-Tom
That´s for sure a better and faster machine, but I don´t need that urgently, also having lots of outboard hardware in the ballpark.
I didn´t upgrade native software all the time ...

:)

Bud
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Hmm,

Let me try to bring back my memory.

I think I ran XP with two Athlon MP chips. This was a long time ago. No software was optimized for more than 1 CPU. The fans very tiny and louder than a vacuum cleaner. I just remember Korg Legacy killing that machine just after hitting one chord. Those were server CPUs, two of them and Korg managed to choke them. Just checked, this is a 13 year old chip. I benchmarked it like I always do. It did around 10,000 MIPS. I also had the Q6600 a long time a ago. A lot better chip. Around 60,000 MIPS. I stopped switching chips and I've had this one for some 3 years now. It's cheap and it runs fast. Overclocked by 31% on a water cooler. Stress tested with OCCT linpack 64 bit for 48 hours. Didn't hit above 83 degrees Celsius (with a major voltage boost). So I think the problem is here that when I used XP, nothing was utilizing more than 1 CPU. I don't like changing operating systems, that's why I am sticking with Win 7 for a long time. Microsoft didn't give me much of a choice for work related stuff. I am stuck with Win 10. I don't like it how it likes to update twice a week.

-Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

i have two socket 775 Core2 Duo machines running XP...
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Aye Gary,

Core 2 Duos was the time around when Intel started making good chips again. Those were good and fast. Even since they've been killing AMD chips. The new core m chips are crazy fast! I'm talking about a chip that uses about 5 watts at full load with 2 cores at 2.0GHz. Oh, and no fans. Just a piece of metal for a heatsink. How fast? About half the speed of an older core i7 Quad. They put those Atoms Quads in tablets which are not as fast but probably cheaper. They actually started putting them in cell phones now. I have no idea why. I swear I heard that Intel had their own Arm core.

I was gonna post this somewhere, maybe I did. I have no idea. But these core-m CPUs will make Scope on the go a lot easier and very soon. I'm talking about live gigging like Dawman does. You will have a computer in less than a 1U rack.

Cheers,

-Tom
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

tlaskows wrote: They put those Atoms Quads in tablets which are not as fast but probably cheaper.
Intel Celeron and P4 technology went into the Atom procs,- Core2Duo and Core2Quad technology now does too.
But these Atoms don´t have much cache because cache needs more power and consequently produces more heat.

When you look at the high end Intel server procs, for socket 2011 p.ex,- they come w/ much more cache than most of the fast Intel i7 desktop models,- and TDP is higher.
It never really changed.
In the past, Intel XEONs also were more powerfull than any P4, came w/ much more cache and were more power hungry, thus needed better cooling.

But mobility is where the money is.
You can make much more money w/ small entertainment devices vs. pro audio workstations.

Bud
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Exactly,

I just bought an 8 core Android streaming box for 100 CAD. I think 8 cores is a bit of an overkill, but those Arm cores are pretty lame. Sure, it's faster than the original Raspberry Pi B running at 700MHz (Arm v6 or v7 really crappy). But once you start streaming, the picture quality is still the same. Oh it's 64 bit and supports 4k, but why exactly do I need that? Overkill if you ask me. It's funny because my Galaxy s5 (2 year old phone) has an 8 core CPU and can record 4k video, but what can I watch it on? I don't understand the point. It's sort of like having your sound card running at 192k. Will you tell the difference? Faster and cheaper tablets and phones is where it's at. You are absolutely right. I paid around 70CAD for a refurbished 7" Win 10 tablet. Only 1GB of memory, but that's all I need for the side project I am working on. If it's able to run Chrome at almost full speed, it will run my Universal Windows App.

-Tom
gruebleengourd

Post by gruebleengourd »

Is there a way to Authenticate XP? Last time I tried to install an XP I was unable to authorize the license with Microsoft.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yes,

If it's a genuine copy, it will authenticate. Sometimes it asks me to authenticate over the phone if there are some major hardware changes.

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Aye,

Bud Weiser,

I was pretty sure about this. But I know now 100% because I am fixing an old laptop for someone running XP Home. It's not the core count that's the problem. Home will support many cores. If you have more than one physical CPU, home will not use them all.

Cheers,

-Tom