Looking to purchase 2 STDM cables

Have Scope hardware to sell or trade? NO DEALER POSTING ALLOWED.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Mixtremist

Looking to purchase 2 STDM cables

Post by Mixtremist »

Hi. The subject says it all :D
Thanks.
Just play!
petal

Re: Looking to purchase 2 STDM cables

Post by petal »

You might find this link interesting:

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_10/stm_mast.htm
Mixtremist

Post by Mixtremist »

Interesting indeed! Thanks. If I can't find a couple to buy, looks like this is my only option. Does anybody know the failure rate of "homemade" cables versus the Creamware "professionally made" variety?
Just play!
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's just a crimp-on connector either way. if it's crimped correctly, it should be good no matter who makes it.
hubird

Post by hubird »

I once made one, it a piece of cake...you can't screw it, and if you do you know it at the very moment and have to start over :D
sonovox

Post by sonovox »

Don't follow the advice to hit it with a hammer though - I've made dozens of these style cables over the years, and things can go wrong, and you want to have a bit more control than a hammer when you are making the connections. The connector allows you to loosely assemble it with the cable in place, then clamp it between a vice, or even vice-grips (sometimes called mole-grips) and make sure the cable is at right angles to the connector before you start applying pressure. They are hard to break, but you can do it, so only apply enough pressure until the ears on the connector clamp locate at both ends of the connector. Also, don't try to put the connector on the very end of the cable - leave a little bit hanging over, you can trim this off later with a Stanley knife, exacto blade etc., slicing it right up against the plastic of the connector for a good clean cut.

Eh.... that's about it!
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

Someone is selling selfmade cables here:
http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s ... 54-74-3147
garyb

Post by garyb »

sonovox wrote:Don't follow the advice to hit it with a hammer though - I've made dozens of these style cables over the years, and things can go wrong, and you want to have a bit more control than a hammer when you are making the connections. The connector allows you to loosely assemble it with the cable in place, then clamp it between a vice, or even vice-grips (sometimes called mole-grips) and make sure the cable is at right angles to the connector before you start applying pressure. They are hard to break, but you can do it, so only apply enough pressure until the ears on the connector clamp locate at both ends of the connector. Also, don't try to put the connector on the very end of the cable - leave a little bit hanging over, you can trim this off later with a Stanley knife, exacto blade etc., slicing it right up against the plastic of the connector for a good clean cut.

Eh.... that's about it!
yep. channel locks work well too. a pair of regular scissors will trim the excess nicely...
Mixtremist

Post by Mixtremist »

I appreciate all the suggestions/help guys. You've convinced me to make my own. It's obviously a skill set I should have anyway!

Thanks again.
Just play!